Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 PM

495 posts, read 748,074 times

Advertisements

Today, on Bloomberg TV, former presidential candidate Ron Paul said he believed the $700-billion bank bailout would pass, but that by doing so, Congress “will turn a recession into a depression.”

Paul, who is not voting for the bailout, says the government should let the market take its course and have banks purge themselves of worthless assets.

Video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I like Ron Paul and his general platform, but I also have a couple of issues with him. He talks like someone who knows a lot of about economics, isn't he a gynocologist? Also, for being such a staunch libertarian, he is opposed to abortions. I always figured libertarians would be the first ones to stand up for a woman's right to choose.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:49 PM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
Of course it will! They're banking on it. Do you really believe this mess just happened? Thousands of people including myself knew something was wrong when $125,000 houses in 2002 started selling for $260,000 in 2004, something is WRONG. And were sold! My jaw dropped. This is not real I told my buddies. All of the people in power-all of them-did no-thing. Did not do anything. Zilch, Nada, 0. Now why is that? And don't dare say "they didn't know" I know there is a lot of pessimists out there, but how many people on YouTube alone said it! Some videos were/are 2+ years ago!

So what do the masters behind the curtain have in store for us now? Hmm
Mass civil unrest?, aah the unpatriotic Patriot act being used against us?, Martial law?, the use of federal troops against the people?, The confiscations of all citizens weapons?,Suspending elections?, Hyper inflation with the complete devaluation of the dollar?, a new currency maybe called-Amero? North American Union-combining the U.S., mexico and Canada together? As they've done in europe? called the E.U. with the Euro as their currency-aah-and by the way they'd have to get rid of our constitution or weaken it so badly as to pull this off-oh that's right! The Patriot Act!

So-If I wanted to start the North American Union, and change the currency to the "Amero", The first thing I'd do is pass laws like NAFTA, hold secret meetings with Canada and Mexico, train U.N. soldiers on American soil. Pass constitutional weakeners such as a "Patriot act". Surely the Americans would never give up their Constitution without a fight. Destroy the currency and cause mass civil unrest to inact martial law. Strip the people of all freedoms and get rid of that pesky Constitution.

Wow I can't believe how simple it was to put a puzzle together. I hope this is a good imagination of mine, I dare not think this is a possibility.

Last edited by doubbltunman; 10-02-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM

558 posts, read 818,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I like Ron Paul and his general platform, but I also have a couple of issues with him. He talks like someone who knows a lot of about economics, isn't he a gynocologist? Also, for being such a staunch libertarian, he is opposed to abortions. I always figured libertarians would be the first ones to stand up for a woman's right to choose.
On a personal level, he's opposed to abortions because of things he saw while he was practicing and because of his religious beliefs; however, he's pro choice at the federal level because he believes that the federal government has no business making decisions like that. He believes the decision should be made at the state level.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Of course they are going to pass it. That's the beauty of a broken system. It keeps on doing what it wants regardless of what the operator is trying to tell it. We are the operators, and the machine known as the US Government is running out of control and following its own agenda. It has become "self aware" The only reason that bill got turned down was to generate just a bit more hysteria and fear into the populace and make us want this thing. Oh no, the bailout didn't pass and viola! the market crashes right on cue 700 points down. But also right on cue, it bounces back the next day about 60% of the loss. So all is not lost citizens, but we must act now. That's what the president said right. He has been threatening us on a daily basis here lately. So they will pass the bailout and some of us will even be glad they did. Just remember, don't mind that dirty taste in your mouth, it comes from all the crap they try to feed us.
Vote Libertarian!
You have some reps from me for that statement.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
In this CNN interview, former presidential candidate Ron Paul explains the folly of the Senate passing the $700-billion banking industry buyout, and the danger of offering and expanding FDIC insurance on banks that are insolvent — as part of the bill.

Link to rest.
Ron Paul can still be a write-in candidate, and that's just what I'm going to do. Write his name on the ballot.

Of course, he will not win, but if enough people show up to vote and write in his name; even a small showing of 15 percent or so in his favor will send a wake up call to the other parties.

Imagine, someone who is not even really in the race getting 15 percent of the vote?

Anyway, it IS worth a try people. This crap government we have now will not change unless we get someone in there who is for REAL change, and that is NOT Mcain or Obama, IMHO.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I think the biggest issue is the topic this thread is addressing right now, which is the bail out.

Please try and stay on topic and not wander into an abortion discussion.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
The people of America could actually save this mess of a country - no not by giving the ex-CEO of Goldmas Sachs a trillion dollars to handout to his CEO buds, but by voting in Ron Paul, hes still a candidate right? It is something that can be done easily in 2 months, only they wont - whats wrong?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
I like Ron Paul and his general platform, but I also have a couple of issues with him. He talks like someone who knows a lot of about economics, isn't he a gynocologist?
He is an OB/GYN and a student of Austrian economics. Not sure how that's a conflict. I'm a network engineer and a student of Constitutional law and philosophy. Nothing wrong with being multidimensional.

Quote:
Also, for being such a staunch libertarian, he is opposed to abortions. I always figured libertarians would be the first ones to stand up for a woman's right to choose.
Depends on when you believe life exists. His job as an OB/GYN is to bring life into this world, and to protect the unborn child. Looking at ultrasounds and seeing babies every day and being able to end the life of that baby is what wouldn't make much sense to me.

Being against abortion isn't mutually exclusive with libertarianism. Libertarians believe in the Non Aggression Principle. It states that, "it shall be legal for anyone to do anything he wants, provided only that he not initiate (or threaten) violence against the person or legitimately owned property of another". If you consider an unborn child to be life, which he and I do, any action that would initiate violence against that unborn child should not be legal.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Ron Paul can still be a write-in candidate, and that's just what I'm going to do. Write his name on the ballot.
Depends on where you live unfortunately. Here in Texas any write-in candidates must have applied to be on the write-in ballot. Any write-ins that aren't approved are discarded at the precinct level.

I will be voting for Barr. Even though Paul and Barr have had a huge falling out, and Barr's voting record is horrific, he's the best of the bunch imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies