Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times

Advertisements

Why don't we switch the question around and see how Big Bad Mean Old Bear responds...oh wait, he never will!!! Anyway, why is that so many Republicans support the death penalty BUT not abortion??? Murder is murder, no matter who it is on, right Big Bear???
And for all of the pro-lifers, I still have yet to read a post about how you are helping create a solution???
No one has answered that portion of anything that I have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
... why is that so many Republicans support the death penalty BUT not abortion??? Murder is murder, no matter who it is on, right Big Bear???
I don't value life because simply because it's life. I value innocent life.

That is an American value. Locke speaks of it in "Second Treatise of Government".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG
basically what you are saying is that due to the imperfection of humans, it's ok to use abortion as a form of birth contol?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista
I see you chose denial.
Why didn't you answer the question?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post

Someone please explain this paradox before the crazies come swooping down and hijack this thread...
Too late.....but nice try!

I've wondered the same thing myself, but I knew if the question was asked, it would only end up in liberal finger-pointing instead of people realizing their thought process was not rational.

Now if someone was going to abort a monkey or a whale....they would REALLY scream...so once again.....no real rational thought process and never a clear answer.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:52 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Why don't we switch the question around and see how Big Bad Mean Old Bear responds...oh wait, he never will!!! Anyway, why is that so many Republicans support the death penalty BUT not abortion??? Murder is murder, no matter who it is on, right Big Bear???
And for all of the pro-lifers, I still have yet to read a post about how you are helping create a solution???

One is an innocent child....the other is a menace and burden to society.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:

Because they conveniently ignore the fact that murder is illegal, abortion is not.

Then again, looking at Republican Presidents like Nixon, Reagan, and G W Bush, it's obvious they consider themselves above and unbound by law.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Very true and this is why I'm pro-choice, why should the woman have to carry the rapist's child?
Here is the pro-life answer: Because it is a human life. But most pro-lifers are so hypocritical, that they have no problem with a flow-chart leading from a rapist's spem to the clinic's dumpster.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 AM

395 posts, read 510,722 times
Quote:
Exactly what I was going to say.

Well, they will say "These people are murderers" so they lost their right to live. However, the forget that many people are put on death row who are found to be innocent later. However, they think our justice system is way more flawless than it really is.

I personally understand both sides on abortion and the death penalty.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I don't value life because simply because it's life. I value innocent life.
Are you sure? From a typical Christian standpoint, the concept of a fetus as innocent life would appear to contravene the doctrine of original sin. Something carrrying the stain of unredeemed sin is not innocent. From a rationalist point of view, the whole concept of an innocent fetus is flawed. It implies that the fetus has capacities for choice. Choice that it can either be faulted for (guilt) or not faulted for (innocence). Fetuses actually have the same capacity for choice-making as does the gravel in a driveway. Would the concept of innocent gravel have meaning to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That is an American value. Locke speaks of it in "Second Treatise of Government".
Locke is speaking in the passage you most likely refer to with reference to the circumstances of war. In the same section, he speaks of his right to destroy any who would threaten him with destruction. The words "unless it is a fetus" were not included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Why didn't you answer the question?
The question was merely a means of diversion from the point then at hand. This is an intellectually dishonest technique that I'm sure you are familiar with. The point was over dealing with reality or continuing to deny it. By rushing away into new and different topics, the poster illustrated without being willing to concede a choice to continue in denial. The post only took note of that fact.

To address the question, abortion is quite plainly a method of birth control. It has no other purpose but to bring a pregnancy -- sometimes normal and sometimes hopelessly compromised -- to a conclusion. No births have been known to occur subsequent to the successful performance of an abortion. The only question here is where within a woman's right not to be pregnant against her wishes this procedure best fits. As they are expensive, inconvenient, and generally unpleasant in any of their forms when compared perhaps to sitting on the couch and eating a package of Twinkies, nearly everyone puts abortion either at or near the very bottom of the list of options, but better than a million women per year reach it anyway. Sensible people ought to be working and talking about means to reduce the number of women who are forced to such levels, but some insist upon taking an exactly opposite approach. These people are difficult to fathom.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Nobody has ever presented any convincing evidence that there is a benefit to our society by either executing or not executing criminals. In the absence of any convincing evidence, I have concluded that:

Pro-capital punishment advocates are motivated entiresly by revenge
Anti-capital punishment advocates are motivated entirely by compassion.
Everyone on both sides rationalizes data and evidence to suit their own inclinations.

Put me in the compassion camp.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:52 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
One is an innocent child....the other is a menace and burden to society.

A fetus is not a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies