Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,527,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I think smoking should be banned in restaurants and bars. Same with rats, salmonella, cockroaches, improperly cooked meats, and cross contamination of food in the kitchen. But I'm kinda picky that way.
Well not to put a damper on things, however some small creatures getting in are kind of par for the course when you run a business that has food. I'm just saying.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,701,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Okay, so by your logic, private business owners should be able to ban blacks from entering their establishments if they want to, right?
We claim that it's a free country, right? Yes... if they're ignorant enough to ban blacks, or whites, or women, or purple headed kids from their establishments, who are you to mandate otherwise with laws?

Freedom isn't being free from restriction from making good choices, it's being free from restriction to make choices. Simply allowing someone to make a bad choice is not a condonation of that choice. Most people get hung up on this for some reason.... and favor restrictions trying to force people to make good choices, and in the process restricting liberty.

By moving away from liberty you invite tyranny. Today you may welcome this as you see yourself as a beneficiary of the tyranny as you don't like smoking in restaurants. But what would happen if society as a whole felt that R rated movies were destroying America and needed to be banned, even in the privacy of your home? You wouldn't have much of an argument since you didn't respect the liberties of your neighbor... you were welcoming laws which restrict freedom.

Don't fall victim to the rhetoric of the simpletons, thinking that government is the only solution. Vote with your wallet, and let management know why you are not going to patronize their establishment. Be it for smoking, for racism, or for poor customer service. I know I have for all three.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,389,532 times
Quote:
Okay, so by your logic, private business owners should be able to ban blacks from entering their establishments if they want to, right?
What are you talking about?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,701,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
What about when they decide you cant smoke in your home because its conceivable, likely even that at some point someone might need to come into your poisonous home.
Belmont, CA has placed a ban on smoking in your own home if it has a wall that adjoins a neighbor. Even if your neighbor smokes as well, or does not have any air infiltration from your residence, it's still banned.

It starts small, and grows from there.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,075,333 times
Quote:
Absolutely.

Private business owners of any race or ethnic group should be able to ban anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

Personally, I don't think it would be good business, but it is not my place to tell a business owner how to run their business.

If you don't like it, you can express your disapproval by not patronizing the business, and encourage others through any number of means not to patronize it either.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM

17,929 posts, read 27,339,625 times
I quit smoking so I could give two craps. And you should quit smoking too. It's fun.

And I don't drink.

I just don't feel like I'm pulling my weight these days. Oh wait. I buy petro. That seems to be making up for it.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,527,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
Belmont, CA has placed a ban on smoking in your own home if it has a wall that adjoins a neighbor. Even if your neighbor smokes as well, or does not have any air infiltration from your residence, it's still banned.

It starts small, and grows from there.
THAT...I'm sorry, that is nuts.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,479,463 times
Quote:
Your logic is faulty in that you could apply it to a variety of different cases besides just smoking. Should private business owners be able to kick blacks out too? Or allow people to get completely trashed, without calling a taxi?
Your logic was faulty to begin with.

Are you saying that in a private business, like a bar/restaurant, that if the owner doesn't want black people to enter into the "building" it's equal to denying smoking of smokers?

It's not one in the same. Apples and oranges.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 PM

943 posts, read 778,745 times
Restaurants should decide if they want smoking or not. I personally believe however that smoking in restaurants is bad manners and is gross for those around the smokers.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM

17,929 posts, read 27,339,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
Belmont, CA has placed a ban on smoking in your own home if it has a wall that adjoins a neighbor. Even if ...
Hmmm... in Colorado, we call that an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies