Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of banning smoking in restaurants and other public places? Many states are doing this now.

Here is my take on it. "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."

Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
What do you all think of banning smoking in restaurants and other public places? Many states are doing this now.

Here is my take on it. "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."
My take on it is that private property owners should dictate the rules of their establishment. People who disagree with the rules should take their business elsewhere.

And for the record, I don't smoke, can't stand smoke, and don't patronize establishments where I can smell smoke while waiting for a table, or sitting at a table. But instead of infringing upon the liberty of the property owners, I choose to reward businesses who provide services which I value, and punish those that don't with a lack of patronage.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
My take on it is that private property owners should dictate the rules of their establishment. People who disagree with the rules should take their business elsewhere.

And for the record, I don't smoke, can't stand smoke, and don't patronize establishments where I can smell smoke while waiting for a table, or sitting at a table. But instead of infringing upon the liberty of the property owners, I choose to reward businesses who provide services which I value, and punish those that don't with a lack of patronage.
Your logic is faulty in that you could apply it to a variety of different cases besides just smoking. Should private business owners be able to kick blacks out too? Or allow people to get completely trashed, without calling a taxi?

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Quote:

Spoken like a true American. I, like you, and like the founding fathers of this great nation am very anti-authority. I don't like laws from a far away and largely irrelevant capital telling me I can't do things.

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:

Without government interference, consumers would influence the design of future restaurants that would incorporate a central kitchen with separate dining areas each with a separate entrance to conveniently accommodate both types of customers, and everyone is happy.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
I have no problem banning smoking in restaurants. I do draw the line at bars though. Even my mother, my mother who is totally pure & never smoked, has COPD or however you spell it & had pneumonia 3 times is against banning smoking in bars. I couldn't even believe it when she said that one!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:35 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Your logic is faulty in that you could apply it to a variety of different cases besides just smoking. Should private business owners be able to kick blacks out too? Or allow people to get completely trashed, without calling a taxi?
It's strange that you call it faulty. It's something called freedom, which I know is a foreign idea to many Americans.

Do I have any right to tell you who to invite into your home? If you don't want any blonde haired green eyed women in your home for some reason, it's no business of mine.

But your neighbors have every right in the world to judge you based upon your prejudices.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
It's strange that you call it faulty. It's something called freedom, which I know is a foreign idea to many Americans.

Do I have any right to tell you who to invite into your home? If you don't want any blonde haired green eyed women in your home for some reason, it's no business of mine.

But your neighbors have every right in the world to judge you based upon your prejudices.
Okay, so by your logic, private business owners should be able to ban blacks from entering their establishments if they want to, right?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
I think smoking should be banned in restaurants and bars. Same with rats, salmonella, cockroaches, improperly cooked meats, and cross contamination of food in the kitchen. But I'm kinda picky that way.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

Heres my take on it. A restaurant isn't a public place. Its a private place open to the public. People are free to come & go as they choose. Its up to the owner of the establishment whether or not to permit smoking.
Granting a state the power to dictate legal activity on private property is pretty stupid.
What about when they decide you cant smoke in your home because its conceivable, likely even that at some point someone might need to come into your poisonous home.

Its not like having a peeing section in a pool but anti smoking movements are usually about as intelligent as one would be.

Ban it in public places, municipal buildings & the like but mind your buisness regarding private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies