Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
sorry, another long post
It's just too bad that you felt you had to explain your circumstances. It's really no one's business. That's the problem with a lot of people, they feel they are entitled to know exactly why you live as well as you do. They don't care what came before.

I have a cousin who is a psychiatrist. For years he studied like crazy, and worked summers as a lifeguard. He never had two dimes to rub together, but he had a very faithful girlfriend who worked and paid for their dates and such as much as she could. He was close to 30 when he started making some money, and had student loans to pay back. They had a beautiful but simple wedding and then went to work. Fast forward 20 years and they have a wonderful lifestyle. Beautiful house, built in pool, nice vacations. Are we jealous? No way. When we get invivted to their house it's always the best of everything. I love it. They made the sacrifices and we get to enjoy their generosity. I remember a line from The Sound of Music that Max said: "I like rich people. I like the way they live. I like the way I live when I'm with them." Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
It's just too bad that you felt you had to explain your circumstances. It's really no one's business. That's the problem with a lot of people, they feel they are entitled to know exactly why you live as well as you do. They don't care what came before.

I have a cousin who is a psychiatrist. For years he studied like crazy, and worked summers as a lifeguard. He never had two dimes to rub together, but he had a very faithful girlfriend who worked and paid for their dates and such as much as she could. He was close to 30 when he started making some money, and had student loans to pay back. They had a beautiful but simple wedding and then went to work. Fast forward 20 years and they have a wonderful lifestyle. Beautiful house, built in pool, nice vacations. Are we jealous? No way. When we get invivted to their house it's always the best of everything. I love it. They made the sacrifices and we get to enjoy their generosity. I remember a line from The Sound of Music that Max said: "I like rich people. I like the way they live. I like the way I live when I'm with them." Amen.
Thank you for saying that. I really appreciate it.

I love the Sound of Music. I had to really think for a minute to remember that line! You know, I just watched a movie with Christopher Plummer in it, I can't remember the name, oh, wait, something with Suzanne Sarandon, Autumn Hearts or something like that. It was interesting. He was soooo handsome when he was young.

And really, now that we have enough money to pay our bills, pay a little extra here and there, and have some left over for entertainment, I feel a little guilty because there are so many people that don't have what we have. But that doesn't take away from how hard my husband worked to get us here and how much we both sacrificed to get to this point....

Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 PM

87 posts, read 318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
AMEN! Couldn't agree more.

The notion that liberals have, that if you're poverty-stricken then it's not your fault and society has a responsibility to help you out, and that if you're financially well-off at the moment then shame on you you rich greedy bastard -- it's such crap. The idea that it's reasonable to tax lower-middle-class families at 10%, but upper-middle-class families at 33%...that's screwed up. Just as poor folks are resposible for their poorness, well-off folks are responsible for being well-off, and they worked for it, and are ENTITLED to all the rewards of their labors...not what's left after adulterer and liar John Edwards steps in and taxes them at a rate of 50%+.

The idea of the poor not taking responsibility for their bad situations -- instead, banding together and demonizing the well-off and punishing success and hard work by inordinately taxing the rich...you know what that's called? COMMUNISM!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
And it won't let me rep you again, I must have rep'd you before

Old 10-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
And really, now that we have enough money to pay our bills, pay a little extra here and there, and have some left over for entertainment, I feel a little guilty because there are so many people that don't have what we have.
Why?

Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Biden said 95% of small business makes less then $250K ... he is clueless.

Small business employs fewer than 50 employees (IRS rules not mine), and can make several million a year, this do NOT translate into rich folks, as the overhead eats 99% of this money. I know many small business owners that make less than some of there employees as their money goes right back into the business.

Obama/Biden will destroy everything that makes America great.
He obviously meant what a small business owner takes home each year, not what the business takes in total

Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
He obviously meant what a small business owner takes home each year, not what the business takes in total
You have obviously never filed SE taxes.

And nothing's "obvious" when it comes to what Biden says. Remember, this is the fool who thinks that (a) Roosevelt was President during the stock market crash that triggered the Great Depression, and (b) Americans had TV back then.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
I earn over $250,000 a year and i have no problems with paying extra tax so that America can become one again. I can afford it and so can all the others earning that amount, poorer families cannot afford to pay more tax. Money must come from somewhere. Stop whining for anyone earning over $250,000 we can afford it.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
the no bid provision of the bailout is another blow for small businesses.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
There is nothing that sickens me more than the rich Republicans that say that the majority of society should be screwed because they don't work hard enough to be rich.

This is just sickening and disturbing. Then these people have the nerve to say they are the moral superior too.

You people make me sick.
Communism versus Capitalism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies