Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM

19 posts, read 18,288 times

Advertisements

We live in historic times. It is quite conceivable that what we are witnessing these days is the beginning of an empire's slow demise. That empire is us, the United States by the way.

We had a relatively short run as empires go, but it sure was a doozy of a ride! As long as we stuck to the principles of our founding fathers we were doing quite good. We were admired ..nay ...YEARNED for by freedom-loving people from all corners of the globe. But in the last few decades we started to stray from our cherished principles and to make matters worse along came a 'man' whose name I will not mention (but whose initials are GWB) and who accelerated our tailspin into oblivion.

His last felonious act before leaving office -and conveniently handing this entire mess over to the next administration- will be to have surrendered every single one of the working-class citizens of this nation into the hands of his corporate and Wall St buddies, lock, stock & barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
DOOMSDAY THREAD #: 897rt831kat002-1b
SUBJECT : The United States of America

Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
In my opinion the peak of our civilization was in the 1950s. We began our demise in the late '60s when we began to take freedom for granted and we turned our backs on God. Our demise really picked up steam when the Cold War ended. Today, I think we are almost past the point of no return.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
Come February '09 those historic times are gonna become revisionary times. Lessons to live by.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:43 PM

564 posts, read 892,953 times
My thoughts are: When the Bailout doesn't work, the investors will pull their LOOT out. Subsequently people will start to pull their 401k's, stocks and bonds out. Taking the losses and fed penalties before their accounts reach $0. This in turn will cause panic, Run on all banks, and the Dow crashing.

If there was no Bailout, the markets would adjust as they're supposed too. Everyone would've kept tight, and the banks would keep their credit and loan qualifications stringent for a while to come.

Now when this "last resort" of our gov fails-watch what people do.

We could have taken the pain now, now we will suffer needlessly more when it falls harder. Should have left it alone. My opinion of course.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
"The price of Liberty is Eternal Vigilance", said Thomas Jefferson; and many others agreed, using similar words. Lately, it's pretty clear we haven't been keeping up with the 'vigilance', to put it mildly. Malfeasance in high office is treated to a 'smile and a wink'....20 million illegal immigrants have "every right' to be here, and patrolling our borders and securing our airports is seen as "mean-spirited'.

PART of any 'vigilance' has to be a large amount of common sense. Sorry folks, some of us may have sense, but it's getting increasingly less common. A 'welfare society' with 'open borders'? You might just as well try running a bank with "open vaults"....and no ability to audit.

If we 'go down', there won't be many tears shed for us, I'm afraid. We're pretty much destroying the place ourselves....no 'invaders' are needed.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"The price of Liberty is Eternal Vigilance", said Thomas Jefferson; and many others agreed, using similar words. Lately, it's pretty clear we haven't been keeping up with the 'vigilance', to put it mildly. Malfeasance in high office is treated to a 'smile and a wink'....20 million illegal immigrants have "every right' to be here, and patrolling our borders and securing our airports is seen as "mean-spirited'.

PART of any 'vigilance' has to be a large amount of common sense. Sorry folks, some of us may have sense, but it's getting increasingly less common. A 'welfare society' with 'open borders'? You might just as well try running a bank with "open vaults"....and no ability to audit.

If we 'go down', there won't be many tears shed for us, I'm afraid. We're pretty much destroying the place ourselves....no 'invaders' are needed.
Your first arrow hit bullseye and your second arrow split the first one down the middle... incredible!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM

190 posts, read 443,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
My thoughts are: When the Bailout doesn't work, the investors will pull their LOOT out. Subsequently people will start to pull their 401k's, stocks and bonds out. Taking the losses and fed penalties before their accounts reach $0. This in turn will cause panic, Run on all banks, and the Dow crashing.

If there was no Bailout, the markets would adjust as they're supposed too. Everyone would've kept tight, and the banks would keep their credit and loan qualifications stringent for a while to come.

Now when this "last resort" of our gov fails-watch what people do.

We could have taken the pain now, now we will suffer needlessly more when it falls harder. Should have left it alone. My opinion of course.
This is so typical of our culture. Go for instant, RIGHT-NOW gratification at any cost, and defer payment to the point where financial obligations are overwhelming. Rather than face some pain now, why not put on a bandaid and let the whole damn system collapse over the next few years? It's the American way.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 PM

190 posts, read 443,639 times
Quote:

This is also true. We deserve this because not enough people gave a damn about our rampant corruption. There won't be much sympathy for the United States.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:04 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times
Quote:
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies