Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,312,405 times

Advertisements

Dear friend, you should be scared,because even after this massive bailout, the present administration does not have a plan either. nobody has a plan, now ain't that scary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Obama and McCain scare me.

#1. Obama scares me because he's really got no plan.

#2. McCain scares me because Palin is his only plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,194,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Umm-I don't see skin color. I see someone who is scared of a man's views-that's what I get.

For s***s and giggles they all scare me, Ron Paul is desperately needed to restructure our economy and monetary system (get rid of the unconstitutional federal reserve), and of course the sheeple want to be led off the cliff with McSame or Obamination-go figure

Or even worse as someone said on another thread-Complete global monetary meltdown-with the complete collapse of the U.S. Dollar. Causing panic and thus civil unrest-and bush suspending elections and declaring Martial Law-remaining president and wrecking our constitution under his little "Patriot Act"------_____Now that scares the hell out of me
I'm probably closer to libertarian in my political views, but a third party candidate simply has no chance and is a guarantee that the Democrat candidate will be elected (as happened when we had Ross Perot in the mix).

I like a lot of what Ron Paul does (The Liberty Committee), and I like his position on issues, but he was simply not a good Presidential candidate.

Ha, ha..."sheeple"...I haven't heard that term in a while

I have no problem with the Patriot Act, though I have not studied it, but I understand that there was really very little new in the Patriot Act in terms of law that was not already in place elsewhere. We need to be able to learn what our enemies are up to, and we have to have tools to do so. It's foolish to tie the hands of agencies that are their to protect us. I think people over react, thinking that average Americans are going to be spied on, which simply isn't happening.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 AM

524 posts, read 940,081 times
I am tired of always having to vote for the lesser of two evils.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 AM

18,126 posts, read 15,520,670 times
Hmmm Obamas' color doesn't scare me. His outlook certainly does. Also, it seems, MY skin color seems to be an issue with him (and his wife, and Pastor and associates and advisors Etc) Folks with narrow views that see "white" and "guilty as charged" at the same time. A person can't be around these types of people and not be contaminated by their views. This election is scary from both sides of the aisle. I'm not saying that the other candidates are without the same issues, but the thread seemed to be focusing on Obama thus the specifics of my opening comments.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,904,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Dear friend, the answer is, Ignorance
Why is this the answer? the person has never ever taken the time to research Obama's bio. Obama is very well educated, he is good looking, he has a nice family, he seems level-headed, and what he lacks in foreign policy experience, he'll have a host of advisors, as most presidents have. Obama actually has more political & legal experience than the republican VP pick.
Some Americans still just can't get rid of that red neck. they try washing it away, bleaching it, covering it up, but they just can't seem to get rid of it, no matter what they do. these are some of the same people that hate gays, and other people who are diverse or of a different color than white.
Am I the only person in the room who welcomes change and am ready to let a black man lead our country? he can do no worse than the leader we have now, or any worse than what the republican party has to offer.
And, by the way folks, Mr. Obama is NOT Muslim as some paint him. he is a christian, and he is black. Nothing about him scares me at all, but, then, I used to be a far left-winger.
None of your "reasons" other than maybe a claim of education is what I would call "informed".

I dislike Obama because I have seen his voting record and disapproved of his positions on the issues. He wants more government involvement in everything. His policies all show that. His health care system speaks clearly of the position by forcing people and businesses to provide it or face penalties and fines.

His tax cuts are naive in that they assume small business means lemonade stand by his earning amounts. He believes in taxes and his record shows excessive tax increases, quite a bit of ear marks and sometimes just poor decisions on the issues. I agree with nothing that he supports because it is at odds with what our founders believed in when they formed this country.

You like to point fingers about experience and judgment concerning Palin on issues like the Bridge to Nowhere, but then you fail to inform yourself that the project was voted for by Obama and Biden and continued with support for it when the money was voted on to be diverted to a Bridge devastated by the Katrina Disaster. Palin might have "supported" it when she was running, but at the end of the day who was the one that killed it? Obama and Biden could have, they did not. So much for "judgement".

Most of your responses were centered around irrelevant claims and factors. For instance you said:

Quote:
Obama is very well educated, he is good looking, he has a nice family, he seems level-headed, and what he lacks in foreign policy experience
The bold is irrelevant and maybe a part of the problem here. You claim others are not making informed decisions and yet you use factors that have nothing to do with informed to explain yours. Seeming level headed and being level headed are not the same. That is why we look at records, we look at the plans and we compare them to the records to see if they sync up. We look at the facts of the issue and leave "he is good looking" to the teenagers who have yet to figure out what is an important judgment factor and what is not.

The rest of your post again was nothing more than a slander at the previous administration and lacked any real clarification as to what it is you truly disagreed with. Also, you seem to think his color is more important than those of us who disagree with him because you keep attempting to bring it up. The fact is, he does have previous relations with questionable people. Now does that mean much? It depends on the details of each case. It may be nothing, but it certainly shows some poor judgement in many peoples eyes. Only the wackos are attempting to claim him as a terrorist and yet you again through your claims of being "informed" attempt to defend a position that many of us do not make.

Obama "scares" me, but not in the since of an emotional reaction, but in that his policies are dangerous and lead into a system that has been proven over and over to eventually fail. What scares me is that he has no problems ignoring those facts and "believes" that he can make it work. What scares me is that he has a following of people who arrogantly like to claim the opposition is uninformed, yet they can not properly defend any position they speak of without speaking in generalities and fallacies.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 AM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Egads. Give it a rest. I know so many people who were hoping Colin Powell would run. Everything isn't about skin color. You need to face the fact that some people don't agree with too many of his issues at all.
That's right....or Alan Keys. Color isn't an issue. It's the ideology.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,312,405 times
Default A Stretch of the Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
None of your "reasons" other than maybe a claim of education is what I would call "informed".

I dislike Obama because I have seen his voting record and disapproved of his positions on the issues. He wants more government involvement in everything. His policies all show that. His health care system speaks clearly of the position by forcing people and businesses to provide it or face penalties and fines.
Quote:
His tax cuts are naive in that they assume small business means lemonade stand by his earning amounts.
Obama's tax cuts? He want's to raise taxes for persons making $250,000.00 or more per year. And, give tax cuts to the middle class, and, what's wrong with that? Unless YOU consider the middle class as making $1,000,000.00 per year?
Quote:
He believes in taxes and his record shows excessive tax increases, quite a bit of ear marks and sometimes just poor decisions on the issues. I agree with nothing that he supports because it is at odds with what our founders believed in when they formed this country.
On the other hand, Mr. Mc Cain want's to cut medicare and social security benefits, bail out homeowners, put americans to work, lower gas prices, lower food prices, but, he doesn't tell the American people how he's going to manage it, nor does he say how he plans to fund it.

Quote:
You like to point fingers about experience and judgment concerning Palin on issues like the Bridge to Nowhere,
I never pointed a finger or mentioned anything about a bridge to nowhere. If you're wondering about the bridge to nowhere, in Alaska, you'll be happy to know that construction of it continues, just because you mentioned it.
Quote:
but then you fail to inform yourself that the project was voted for by Obama and Biden and continued with support for it when the money was voted on to be diverted to a Bridge devastated by the Katrina Disaster. Palin might have "supported" it when she was running, but at the end of the day who was the one that killed it? Obama and Biden could have, they did not. So much for "judgement".
Quote:
Most of your responses were centered around irrelevant claims and factors. For instance you said:

The bold is irrelevant and maybe a part of the problem here. You claim others are not making informed decisions and yet you use factors that have nothing to do with informed to explain yours. Seeming level headed and being level headed are not the same. That is why we look at records, we look at the plans and we compare them to the records to see if they sync up. We look at the facts of the issue and leave "he is good looking" to the teenagers who have yet to figure out what is an important judgment factor and what is not.
I never made the statement "You claim others are not making informed decisions and yet you use factors that have nothing to do with informed to explain yours." I think other city-data users can clearly see where I'm coming from. I'm not pulling my punches here, just stating the facts, like, Obama's terrorist ties, doesn't exist, and he is running for public office, the presidency, and, is not attempting to overthrow the government by terroism as many republicans have eluded to.
Quote:
The rest of your post again was nothing more than a slander at the previous administration and lacked any real clarification as to what it is you truly disagreed with. Also, you seem to think his color is more important than those of us who disagree with him because you keep attempting to bring it up. The fact is, he does have previous relations with questionable people. Now does that mean much? It depends on the details of each case. It may be nothing, but it certainly shows some poor judgement in many peoples eyes. Only the wackos are attempting to claim him as a terrorist and yet you again through your claims of being "informed" attempt to defend a position that many of us do not make.
Not slander, all posts I've made are true about the present administration, are you're living in denial, or, you have so much money, that you're pulling the snob trick, and trying to snub someone else's opinion. you must have read someone else's post somewhere else, came to this thread with a rant because I sure haven't seen paragraphs with the words you describe that I've written, not even close with the fingerpointing phrase. It is true, the present admin. has no clear plan of how to handle the financial mess, and has placed no guarantee on the bailout working. Furthermore, this admin. started two conflicts in other countries, one of which had doctored or false intelligence, and Americans loosing their civil rights through the so called patriot act. and, when I said Obama has more experience pertaining to legal matters, and political experience than the republican party's VP pick, you went off on this thing about some teenagers and about how I said he is a good looking person. And the so called Whackos who are accusing Obama of terrorist ties? I only know of two right now that started the allegation. Can you guess who these whakos are?
Quote:
Obama "scares" me, but not in the since of an emotional reaction, but in that his policies are dangerous and lead into a system that has been proven over and over to eventually fail. What scares me is that he has no problems ignoring those facts and "believes" that he can make it work. What scares me is that he has a following of people who arrogantly like to claim the opposition is uninformed, yet they can not properly defend any position they speak of without speaking in generalities and fallacies.
I've provided you and other city-data users in this post with some links. The links are to news stories, about Mc Cains domestic and International terrorist ties, Palin's domestic terrorist ties, how John Mc Cain is disliked by many Veterans across the country and why they dislike him, bridges to nowhere, and Mc Cains voting record, and some of his poor judgement as well, not mentioning the S & L scandal Mr Mc Cain was involved in.

YouTube - Special Comment - Palin's Terrorist Tie's 10-6-08

McCain Supporter Had Own Ties to Radical Protesters - WSJ.com

The Raw Story | Olbermann: McCain, Palin have questionable ties of their own

Raising Kaine:: John McCain's Terrorist Ties (http://www.raisingkaine.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=16489 - broken link)

McCain's Voting Record: He Does Not Support Our Troops and Veterans (http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/articleid/9559 - broken link)

Dems use McCain's voting record on vets issues against him | Naked Politics

McCain's Voting Record: Bush Comparison Accurate? : NPR

bridges to nowhere - Google News

So, you see, the republican party's ticket for the presidential election isn't exactly squeaky clean either. This thread was supposed to be about skin color, til you went and tried to change it. Speaking of change, I support Obama, I may not see eye to eye with all of his campaign promises or statements, but I think he is the right person for the job right now, when America needs a breath of fresh air, instead of the status quo.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:57 AM

524 posts, read 940,081 times
Check out their actual voting records… NOT WHAT THEY TELL YOU THEY ARE GOING TO DO!
[SIZE=3]Senator Barack H. Obama Jr.[/SIZE] (IL)[SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]

Current Office:[SIZE=3] U.S. Senate
[/SIZE]
Seniority:[SIZE=3] Junior Seat
[/SIZE]
Office Seeking:[SIZE=3] President
[/SIZE]
First Elected:[SIZE=3] 11/02/2004
[/SIZE]
Last Elected:[SIZE=3] 11/02/2004
[/SIZE]
Next Election:[SIZE=3] 2010
[/SIZE]
Party:[SIZE=3] Democratic
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=9490[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Senator John S. McCain III (AZ)[/SIZE]
Current Office: U.S. Senate
Seniority: Senior Seat
Office Seeking: President
First Elected: 11/04/1986
Last Elected: 11/02/2004
Next Election: 2010
Party: Republican
[SIZE=3]http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=53270[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,013,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmm Obamas' color doesn't scare me. His outlook certainly does.
Okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Also, it seems, MY skin color seems to be an issue with him (and his wife, and Pastor and associates and advisors Etc) Folks with narrow views that see "white" and "guilty as charged" at the same time.
I've yet to see a representation of his campaign that speaks to him having issues with your skin color. Your real issue is with the fact that someone who doesn't look like you, is getting close to getting into the white house, where he will have say so over issues that effect you!

You got comfortable and now that it's happening your feeling threatened. Wait until the man gets in office and does what this country has done to people who don't share your skin color ("black, hispanic..etc" and "guilty as charged") before assuming he has a problem with your skin color and not just the character of some of just so happen to share your skin color...

which is narrow-minded!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,476,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
[SIZE=3]"I hate McCain but I’m not voting for Obama , that’s for sure. That man just scares me, I don’t know what it is he just scares me! "[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This was a comment that a friend of mine said to me one day. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Anyone else share her view and what does this mean? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]How can someone scare you've never had the opportunity to meet or come across or walk next to, strike such fear in your heart?[/SIZE]

So, I still don't know how you got skin color out of what your friend said.
Is you friend known to make racial-like comments? Could it just be a feeling she has based on other things?

Bottom line....why do you ass-u-me she meant skin color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies