Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Waiters have allegedly beaten an Australian tourist to death for being "arrogant" while ordering a beer in an Indian restaurant.
John Kelly, 65, is reported to have died of internal injuries sustained when he was beaten by staff at the Club City Restaurant in the Indian resort region of Goa yesterday.
The incident follows the murder of 15-year-old British tourist Scarlett Keeling, who was allegedly raped and left for dead by two local men in Goa in February.
The Times of India and local reports said Mr Kelly's beating followed an altercation in which he displayed an "arrogant attitude".
He reportedly arrived in Goa on September 29 and entered the bar at 8am local time on Wednesday.
Some reports said security staff at the bar joined in the bashing.
Others said Mr Kelly was set upon by "a group" of waiters, who also tore up his clothes.
Deputy Superintendent Gundu Naik said Mr Kelly died 10 hours after being attacked while drinking a beer in the bar at Calangute, about 10km from the state capital, Panaji.

"He died 10 hours after the assault, while being treated at Goa Medical College and Hospital here,'' Superintendent Naik was quoted as saying.
"He entered into an argument with the waiter which resulted in the altercation. The deceased was pushed down and assaulted.''
No further details were released but Superintendent Bosco George said two waiters and a security guard at the premises had been detained, but not arrested, in connection with the incident.
The Times of India quoted another local police officer as saying that the incident was being treated as murder.
The advertisement is embedded code and can not be removed. Just another "culturally retarded" story from India. Check out the Superintendent's name, that says it all!

FOXNews.com - Tourist Bashed to Death by Waiters for Being 'Arrogant' - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
I don't find this surprising because as you said they have a very large culture gap. However out of the dozens of Indians that I know and work with I find them to be the most peaceful and kind people. They are progressing towards leveling out the cultural playing field but it is certainly going to take a long time.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I don't find this surprising because as you said they have a very large culture gap. However out of the dozens of Indians that I know and work with I find them to be the most peaceful and kind people. They are progressing towards leveling out the cultural playing field but it is certainly going to take a long time.
I was in the household goods moving and storage business for more than 25 years, Indian shippers were one of my worst nightmares! The wanted everything for free, refused to pay extra charges for extra services and then filed a bogus insurance claim on their move! During my last year of long distance hauling, I refused all Indian shipments! I have a different classifications for Indians: Scumbags and dirtbags!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Hm.... it's easy to cast judgement from afar without knowing the facts straight. I'm not condoning what happened, but I'm pretty sure the real reason was more sinister (robbery, for example) than 'arrogance' or 'cultural gap'.

I've been to several cities in India including Goa, and of all cities in India, this laid back seaside city is probably the most western friendly (culturally) than any other cities in India (this includes metropolitan Mumbai and New Delhi).

First, the city is the only former Portuguese colony in India with strong Portuguese influence that can be seen from religion standpoint (Goans are mostly catholics), names (a lot of Goans have Portuguese sounding names), food (mix of Goan and Portuguese style), and culture (it's the only Indian city I know that has huge carnival celebration to welcome the Lent season and huge Christmas festivities). Goa is also the only city in India that practices afternoon siesta time. Many, many, western tourists, predominantly European, have vacation homes in Goa and live there at least during winter months. The tourists I've seen in Goa dressed loosely as they pleased and nobody even looked twice.

Sadly, crimes happen, whether in Goa, or any place else.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
im not surprise the indians are arngry we took away their entire contenent and their way of life payback time now

Custer died for your sins....
Arogant beer drinkers take notice

Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I'm sure thankful that I live in a country where nobody ever gets murdered or raped.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
im not surprise the indians are arngry we took away their entire contenent and their way of life payback time now

Custer died for your sins....
Arogant beer drinkers take notice
Who is "we"?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
i'm sure thankful that i live in a country where nobody ever gets murdered or raped.
lol...

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I was a waitress for a short time in college and I have felt like bashing a few folks in the head Even had one guy put the table cloth on his head and light it on fire!

Seriously, this is a disturbing story. Sick, really.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
It's very sad, but at least the police considers it a murder investigation. I wondered what the guy said that led to this tragedy. Did he ask for a beef sandwich? I met a guy from Thailand in school. One day he showed me a picture of the Queen of their country. I told him that she looked hot. Man, did he want to cut my head off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies