Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
*sigh* the point I'm getting at is that some people believe that having boys go to an all boys school allows them to concentrate on school work and not the cute girl sitting next to them in class. these people don't take into account that these boys will likely be going to a college full of girls.

just b/c you don't agree w/ my opinion doesn't mean you need to come as as an arrogant prick. sadly, this whole thread seems to be filled w/ immature idiots.
There are already private schools that are either all boy or all girl, doesn't seem to bother them.
Anyway I'm sure these kids are fully aware that life will be different once they enter a coed college. Usually by that age people have grown up a little bit, but going by your last comment I'm not so sure that's true for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
yup, another gay thread. who are we going to cater to next. I'm doubting this school will have a football team.

200 discuss high school for gay, lesbian, transgender youth in Chicago -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-gay-school-19-sep19,0,6183632.story - broken link)
Well, there are all girls'

Old 10-10-2008, 03:48 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
yup, another gay thread. who are we going to cater to next. I'm doubting this school will have a football team.

200 discuss high school for gay, lesbian, transgender youth in Chicago -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-gay-school-19-sep19,0,6183632.story - broken link)
Well there are all girls' schools, all boys' schools, all catholic schools, etc. What's the big deal? No one is being forced to attend. Besides, these young people have some of the highest suicide rates of any group. In my highschool, they were frequently bullied. If this school helps with this, so be it.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Gay themed High School? Bad idea. Simply unneccessary. Unless you also have a gay feeder middle-school. Elementary school. Pre-school?? Lol. And what about gay themed Higher Education. A four year hiatus from the real world of issues pertaining to being gay in a mostly straight world is not useful IMO.

H
That's not what we're talking about, though. The school would be for GLBTQ students as well as anyone else.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:55 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Oh wow! Yay!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Assuming Yeshiva's admitted Gentiles how many do you think would go? How much fun would it really be? I think we can safely say that anyone going to that school voluntarily will be gay... whether they have declared it as their major or not.

H

Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Gays shouldn't self segregate like this. I think it limits society's acceptance of them. It causes people to think of gays as "those weirdos over there" instead of people you actually know who you'd see as normal folks with real lives. You can apply this belief to teens too.
Segregation will be optional. Gays would not have to go to this school. However, if they are experiencing problems at the public school in their district due to homophobes, this will be a safe haven for them to attend school. I would also think that this school would provide some classes specific to gay issues. I'm sure that if regular public schools had classes like, "Being gay in high school" or "The history of Gays in America" that many parents would scream from the rooftops. This school would be able to provide some classes that would be interest to the gay teen community and without parents screaming at PTA meetings about them. I can't think of a valid reason why this school is a bad idea. It's an additional option for a segment of society that has had negative run ins with others. Some teens are very open and don't look down on their gay peers. Others are raised by hate mongers and mimic their parents sentiments. Again, this gives gay kids a safe option to concentrate on learning.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
what's the big deal? there is no big deal, if it is a private school. if parents want to pay high dollar to send their gay kid to a school that caters to gay kids, then fine. if not, suck it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Well there are all girls' schools, all boys' schools, all catholic schools, etc. What's the big deal? No one is being forced to attend. Besides, these young people have some of the highest suicide rates of any group. In my highschool, they were frequently bullied. If this school helps with this, so be it.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 AM

524 posts, read 942,183 times
It seems like more people would be outraged if the city used government funds to create a Christian public high school!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
that would annoy me. religion does not belong in any public school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednemtheadventurer View Post
It seems like more people would be outraged if the city used government funds to create a Christian public high school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies