Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 04:04 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times

Advertisements

This thread is not to endorse any particular party or candidate. It is just to comment on the current onslaught of political ads we are now seeing in the weeks leading up to the election on Novermber 4.
Suppose I currently support Obama, and I see an ad from the Republican party saying how he approved funding eight hundred and sixty-two out of eight hundred and sixty-two times to support abortion clinics, for example. In the meantime, there is evil music playing in the background as if Obama is the devil re-incarnated. Do they expect supporters to now have a knee jerk reaction? "Oh my god, what was I thinking!?"

Suppose I currently support McCain, and the democratic party ad has him hob nobbing with big wigs to Keystone Cops music, with commentary in the background about how it is he who is directly resposible for all of the economic woes and 9/11. Am Im suppose to be like "That SOB did that? I'm changing my mind."

I can handle debates and I can handle ads done in good taste. I can't handle the fact that ad makers play on people's emotions as if they are shallow in their thinking. I guess they ultimately feel at the polls it may win a vote here and a vote there, and that is the moment of truth. Still, I find it insulting.

Note: Nothing I posted here is necessarily my political belief. It was for example only. There is plenty of room for political debate.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 10-09-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,509 times
This might get moved...it doesn't really have anything to do with Pittsburgh

Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
This might get moved...it doesn't really have anything to do with Pittsburgh
Maybe so, not directly anyway. I was watching the local news when I saw it. This is the only forum that I post on since I bought my new notebook. I guess I should expand my horizons.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
I'm moving the thread to the Politics forum. The questions asked here are valid and could be a basis for a great discussion.
Yac.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:59 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,960 times
im so sick and tired of every other commercial
mccain this
obama that
throw a couple mellissa hart vs. altmyer commercials in there

and some one tell me whey the stupid debates have to be on every
channel

Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,153 times
I agree. I think the negative ads get worse in the local scale. If you think it's bad in Pittsurgh, you should see the negative ads in Kentucky between Mitch McConnell and Bruce Landsford. Sheeesh!! Talk about mud slinging!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 AM

66 posts, read 194,720 times
The evil music in the background of these ads is the best! I swear I heard the same background music in a McCain ad that they were playing when Sauron was foring The One Ring in the depths of Mordor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies