Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Another teen dropped at Omaha hospital - Life - MSNBC.com

geez, it would have been great if this woman had used that determination towards, say, PARENTING!! seriously, when is Nebraska going to change this crazy law? it's turning into a dumping grounds for kids whose parents are too lazy and/or selfish to raise their kids. the whole point of Safe Haven laws was to keep unwanted newborns from ending up in the trash, not for overwhelmed parents to dump teens off from several states away!

I read an article in People about a man dumping his 9 kids at a hospital. worst thing about this was that these kids were eventually homed with relatives. hello!!! why not just skip the middle man and send the kids to the grandparents instead of traumatizing them by dumping them at a hospital?? I didn't care how overwhelmed that guy felt after his wife died, IMO, he should be rotting in jail for what he did! seriously, isn't child abandonment illegal anyways?

this law needs a serious overall. the law should just be geared towards newborns, just like the SH laws in almost every other states. they should at least prohibit out of state parents from dumping their kids there and penalize parents who do so. and they really need to emphasize that it is a last ditch effort and relatives should be called before the kids are dumped in some random hospital!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There was a time when Father Flanagan's Boys' Town was Nebraska's most famous landamrk. Thousands of teens got "dropped off" there, one way or another. (Charles Manson was 0one of them.) Most people thought Boys' Town was not a bad thing. But now you think it is a bad thing for teenagers to have a place to go where they will not be neglected or abused. I think you owe us an explanation, eevee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I didn't care how overwhelmed that guy felt after his wife died, IMO, he should be rotting in jail for what he did! seriously, isn't child abandonment illegal anyways?
So, you're one of those people who think the American Dream is to send people to rot in jail, and then ask whether what they did was illegal. When people ask me "Why do you hate America?", maybe I'll think of you.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-13-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There was a time when Father Flanagan's Boys' Town was Nebraska's most famous landamrk. Thousands of teens got "dropped off" there, one way or another. (Charles Manson was 0one of them.) Most people thought Boys' Town was not a bad thing. But now you think it is a bad thing for teenagers to have a place to go where they will not be neglected or abused. I think you owe us an explanation, eevee.

So, you're one of those people who think the American Dream is to send people to rot in jail, and then ask whether what they did was illegal. When people ask me "Why do you hate America?", maybe I'll think of you.
let's see, a 14 year old girl from Iowa was dumped at an Omaha hospital. her grandparents changed their minds and went back for her. the state said ok. doesn't sound like they were being abused or neglected. it's already been proven NONE of the kids abandoned were in any immediate danger. the law is an easy out of frustrated parents (one parent was interviewed as saying the reason she dropped off her 15yo was b/c his behavior was too much for her to handle).

and I have little sympathy for the man who dumped his 9 kids in a hospital then has the nerve to ask for visitation rights. most of these kids are being cared for by the grandmother and this guy should have just sent them there in the first place if he couldn't handle it.

again, I'm pretty sure child abandonment is illegal. dumping a teen off b/c you can't deal w/ their behavior should be a crime. laws like these weren't set up for lazy parents w/ teens. and the law is seriously flawed if someone from Detroit can dump their kid there w/o repercussions

not sure if you have a bone to pick w/ me, or are you got the idea that I hate America from my initial post (I have yet to talk to a single person who doesn't agree that the law as is is very, very flawed), so I don't see why I have to explain myself. if a child is being abused or neglected, there are different laws set up to take care of these kids. SH laws were not designed w/ the intent of saving older kids from abusive homes; there are plenty of other laws in other states that addresses this. if the kid from Detroit was being abused or neglected, his mother should have placed him in protective service in Michigan, not drive 12 hours away to take advantage of a screwed up law. and w/. all the press this law is getting, it's going to get worse until they make some changes. pretty soon, you may have some parents dropping off physically/mentally/emotionally challenged kids b/c they don't want to deal w/ the hassle of raising them. these parents should be seeking help from the proper services, not dumping their kids and leaving them to weather the foster care system

I guess when people ask me if the American dream means abandoning your child to the system b/c you got overwhelmed w/ their teenaged antics, I'll think of you (funny, since this law was enacted, not a SINGLE newborn baby has been taken in. only 4 kids under 10 were abandoned, and all 4 came from the same bunch of 9 that were abandoned. most of the kids being dumped are tweens and teens)

Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Geeze....my kids are almost grown now. If I would have known there was a state to drop them off at legally, there are times during their teen years that a one way trip to Nebraska would have been a serious option.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I wonder if there's a place people can dump off their spouses without bearing any further financial responsibility?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I wonder if there's a place people can dump off their spouses without bearing any further financial responsibility?
That made me laugh out loud!!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Geeze....my kids are almost grown now. If I would have known there was a state to drop them off at legally, there are times during their teen years that a one way trip to Nebraska would have been a serious option.
Ha! Ha! Ha! That's too funny! I know how you feel! Why am I always the last to know?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Another teen dropped at Omaha hospital - Life - MSNBC.com

geez, it would have been great if this woman had used that determination towards, say, PARENTING!! seriously, when is Nebraska going to change this crazy law? it's turning into a dumping grounds for kids whose parents are too lazy and/or selfish to raise their kids. the whole point of Safe Haven laws was to keep unwanted newborns from ending up in the trash, not for overwhelmed parents to dump teens off from several states away!

I read an article in People about a man dumping his 9 kids at a hospital. worst thing about this was that these kids were eventually homed with relatives. hello!!! why not just skip the middle man and send the kids to the grandparents instead of traumatizing them by dumping them at a hospital?? I didn't care how overwhelmed that guy felt after his wife died, IMO, he should be rotting in jail for what he did! seriously, isn't child abandonment illegal anyways?

this law needs a serious overall. the law should just be geared towards newborns, just like the SH laws in almost every other states. they should at least prohibit out of state parents from dumping their kids there and penalize parents who do so. and they really need to emphasize that it is a last ditch effort and relatives should be called before the kids are dumped in some random hospital!
In a perfect world, God would not allow the sefish morons like that person reproduce. I can't stand people that have kids and can't or won't take care of them

Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
..... When people ask me "Why do you hate America?", maybe I'll think of you.
You hate America? Truly?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Eevee, every law is seriously flawed, in that it can never take into account every extenuating circumstances. Which is why judges used to exercise common sense (which they're no longer allowed to do). But I will sit quietly and listen to you argue that every single law ought to be completely thrown out if you can find onoe instance where the law does not work. Neraska's law is basicly a good law, because it reduces the risk of children being harmed at the hands of irresponisble parents who lack the wherewithal to take care of them properly. They set the age at 18, because persons under the age of 18 cannot legally be on their own, and would in any case have to be the ward of some adult supervision. If you think that some other age ought to be the cutoff point, please present it, but be prepared to argue why it should be that age, and not some other equally appropriate age. As for a Michigan mother bringing her teen to Nebraska, I wold contend that there is no statuatory waiting perios in any state for becoming a resident (as opposed to widely varying waits for various applications), Nebraska has taken the efficient and humane position of not turning away a minor for a technicality, rather than to determine if there is a need. Nebraskans are good people, and I trust them to exercise their inclinations to do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies