Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times

Advertisements

I think I am pretty cultured, but I don't really go to art exhibits or to the theater. it doesn't really interest me. I like eating international cuisine. that counts for culture doesn't it? I can use chopsticks! middle eastern food is actually my favorite. I like different viewpoints. I have ultra lefty friends, and super religious righty friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I have no problem with this. I'm just confused by the line of thinking..why wouldn't you want to be cultured and experience differing viewpoints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I have no problem with this. I'm just confused by the line of thinking..why wouldn't you want to be cultured and experience differing viewpoints?
Some people just don't have the ability to take interest in discovering the world around them. That is ok though. I just don't understand how people wouldn't want to go to a planitarium and question the universe and ponder about it. But than again, that is them.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
I didn't say that. I love science. I love aquariums and zoos and museums. just not really art museums or the theater. I grew up outside DC and have been to each smithsonian dozens of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Some people just don't have the ability to take interest in discovering the world around them. That is ok though. I just don't understand how people wouldn't want to go to a planitarium and question the universe and ponder about it. But than again, that is them.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
I do not think 'liberal' is a dirty word by any means.

I just would rather government be small and cheap versus large and expensive.
Liberal politicians seem to love large government and social programs, which I do not care for.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Unfortunately, the leftist wackos have sullied up the term for the rest of us. The once wonderful term "gay" also has been sullied and soiled for those of us who would like to use the term in its proper sense. Matter of fact, quite a few terms of late have been perverted by the PC clowns, and now off limits to the rest of us who dare to claim decency as a value.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Liberal isn't a bad word to me but more of a warning word. I have to make sure I'm not dealing with someone who immediately hits rant mode as soon as they find out I am a conservative (well, technically a moderate conservative).

I found this out the hard way with my sister-in-law when she found out I voted for Bush. She literally threw a can of soda at me. Then started yelling at me, I just laughed at her and walked away. I mean if you have such a knee jerk reaction like this, can you truly be open-minded?

I vote for whom is best suited to meet what I want from a candidate, which most times means I vote Republican. This year I am not seeing a whole hell of a lot to be happy with on either side of the party line, it might be the first time I vote independent, which unfortunately pretty much means I am throwing away might vote.

Maybe in 2012 we can have a third party actually compete with a real chance of winning, might stir things up a bit.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Liberal isn't a bad word to me but more of a warning word. I have to make sure I'm not dealing with someone who immediately hits rant mode as soon as they find out I am a conservative (well, technically a moderate conservative).

I found this out the hard way with my sister-in-law when she found out I voted for Bush. She literally threw a can of soda at me. Then started yelling at me, I just laughed at her and walked away. I mean if you have such a knee jerk reaction like this, can you truly be open-minded?

I vote for whom is best suited to meet what I want from a candidate, which most times means I vote Republican. This year I am not seeing a whole hell of a lot to be happy with on either side of the party line, it might be the first time I vote independent, which unfortunately pretty much means I am throwing away might vote.

Maybe in 2012 we can have a third party actually compete with a real chance of winning, might stir things up a bit.

Having a viable third party with a strong candidate would be a definite stride forward for millions of us out here, hanging by the chad.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Unfortunately, the leftist wackos have sullied up the term for the rest of us. The once wonderful term "gay" also has been sullied and soiled for those of us who would like to use the term in its proper sense. Matter of fact, quite a few terms of late have been perverted by the PC clowns, and now off limits to the rest of us who dare to claim decency as a value.
This post just shows the ignorance of the far right winged. You do realize that homosexuality has been around since your bible days right?

You neo-cons just hide from reality and pretend things don't exist, and in your fairy tell world it is just like Leave it to Beaver.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its not a bad word to anyone but delusional, psychotic, unpatriotic, unamerican, intolertant, fake conservatives.

Im a Liberal and Damn Proud of It.
And me tooI proud of being a tolerant person.Welll.....I can't tolerate repukes to well,but I'm trying.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM

524 posts, read 942,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hardly.

Hollywood is home to some of the biggest and most vocal conservatives.

Hell, one of them became President.
I am Conservative and I have been in the entertainment industry for over 30 years... 18 years as a stuntman! I have lost gigs and friends due to me simply not agreeing with someone's point of view! Regan was a proud Liberal, Democrat until the Communist party began recruiting actors/actresses in Hollywood.

I can't even comment on something without aggressively being attacked by a Liberal because he/she doesn't agree with me... instead of just arguing the facts and merits of the debate.

If I do not like the politics of Obama then I am a racist! If I do not want tax dollars to go towards opening a "public gay highschool" then I am a radical right-wing homo-phobe. If comment on anything... I am slammed by angry Liberals... even when I make a point not to fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies