Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
This post just shows the ignorance of the far right winged. You do realize that homosexuality has been around since your bible days right?

You neo-cons just hide from reality and pretend things don't exist, and in your fairy tell world it is just like Leave it to Beaver.

Well, I say live and let live....doesn't mean I condone it. Now, those who have such tolerance and sympathy for the 7th century barbarians in the Middle East (and elsewhere) need to hone up on their wonderful and open-minded "views" toward gays, as they are just not real tolerant folks. Unlike we "right wing neocon" wackos. I am very cognizant of their existence for sure, and their barbaric beliefs and practices. It is not, how shall we say, a very "kumbaya" experience for those leading an "alternative" lifestyle. Just a little tidbit to ponder while you are throwing stones in the wrong direction...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Webster's:
Main Entry: 1lib·er·al
Pronunciation: \ˈli-b(ə-)rəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin liberalis suitable for a freeman, generous, from liber free; perhaps akin to Old English lēodan to grow, Greek eleutheros free
Date: 14th century
1 a: of, relating to, or based on the liberal arts <liberal education> barchaic : of or befitting a man of free birth
2 a: marked by generosity : openhanded <a liberal giver> b: given or provided in a generous and openhanded way <a liberal meal> c: ample , full
3obsolete : lacking moral restraint : licentious
4: not literal or strict : loose <a liberal translation>
5: broad-minded ; especially : not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms

Why are people so threatened? Just curious?
I love #5. The funny thing is the PC liberals have so many rules and codes of conduct. The liberals sense of tolerance only works when you are in agreement with them.

I have nothing against the arts or museums just don't raise my tax dollars to keep them alive.

If you're voting for Obama because you don't think he's going to raise your taxes, please think again. None of his plans, hopes or dreams will come to life without a cost to you.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
One thing I've noticed, is that most intellectual regions of the country are liberal.

Just take a look at which states vote Democratic, and which vote Republican.

See this election map:

The states with the top-rated colleges and Ivy League schools almost always vote liberal. Examples ... California (Stanford, Berkley), Northeastern Region (Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton)

In contrast, the states which almost always vote Republican are in the middle of the country, and southern states.

These states are mostly filled with farmers and bible-belt religious groups.

People who are "critical thinkers" (college professors, scientists, etc) who believe in science, logic, and reason typically vote Democrat.

People who live very simple lives, with minimal education, and rely heavily on religious faith, typically vote Republican.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 PM

524 posts, read 941,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I have no problem with this. I'm just confused by the line of thinking..why wouldn't you want to be cultured and experience differing viewpoints?
What is your definition of being cultured?

I have travelled all over the world... infact my company is sending me to Nigeria for a couple years in the next three months. Does that make me cultured or just well travelled?

I know people who have never been out of their small town, never been to a museum, attended a pig race or two, and they are extremely cultured!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Liberals.....I tend to lump liberal with hypocrite.
Where I live there is an inner city black catholic church and school. Tons and tons of white liberals go to this church every Sunday, and talk proudly of their 'parish'.
But they don't live there.
They would never send their children to that catholic school.
But they (in their own minds, at least) are morally and culturally superior to all for this show of liberalism.
These are also the same white people who have loads of money that they hide from the IRS in various tax shelters, yet they nod with conviction when they hear of taxes being needed to help the poor and destitute.
Maybe I have liberal and hyprocrite mixed up in my mind.....but the conservatives that I know do not loudly proclaim to being one thing and then privately doing another.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM

500 posts, read 702,787 times
I haven’t been living in the US for long, but talking with my Liberal friends (4, 3males 1female), they strongly believe that America should open its boarders, and allow people from ALL back-rounds to come to the US and not be subjected to fingerprinting, or any type of identification methods to keep track of them. Imagine in this day and age (post 9/11), we open our boarders and allow people from all walks of life to come here with zero documentations, that’s what I call being “delusional”.

They also like to label the US as the terrorist. I’ve even heard them say that “America deserves 9/11” and we deserve what is coming for us from the Radical Muslims.

My Liberal friends also support the all-out war that the ACLU have unleashed against anything Christian, yet they turn the other way when Muslims are installing footbaths and prayer rooms in public schools. Hypocrisy at it’s finest. And let’s not forget decency. Again, the ACLU defends such scum like KKK, NAMBLA and Westbro Baptist Church member. Their argument is freedom of speech. I didn’t realize that spewing hate, advocating violence and vile acts against Children is considered freedom of speech. But that’s just me.

The majority of Liberals I know absolutely love using the race card, for anything and everything. Seriously, it seems like whenever Whitey disagrees with a minority, he/she automatically labeled as a racist. Thanks to the Liberals, we now live in an ultra “sensitive, it’s not my fault, the government should take care of me, I hate my government, and we should hold hands and sing kum-ba-ya” world.

This is only my opinion which is based on my experience with the Liberals I talk with.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Well, I say live and let live....doesn't mean I condone it. Now, those who have such tolerance and sympathy for the 7th century barbarians in the Middle East (and elsewhere) need to hone up on their wonderful and open-minded "views" toward gays, as they are just not real tolerant folks. Unlike we "right wing neocon" wackos. I am very cognizant of their existence for sure, and their barbaric beliefs and practices. It is not, how shall we say, a very "kumbaya" experience for those leading an "alternative" lifestyle. Just a little tidbit to ponder while you are throwing stones in the wrong direction...
Please explain there "barbaric beliefs and practices"...

Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And me tooI proud of being a tolerant person.Welll.....I can't tolerate repukes to well,but I'm trying.
That is a "fine" example of your tolerance... using the word "repukes."

Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
It started when "liberal" started being tied to "big government."

Maybe having eight years of a big-government president who masquerades as a "conservative" will help people see the light. That, and the increasing awareness that legislating morality (which has become "conservative" as of late) is big government at its most intrusive.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:42 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think its because the wrod "liberal" was ruined by those who hid behind it to the point now that they don't even use it anymore. You had far left wingers, kooks, leftists, radicals calling themselves liberals and they eventually turned people away so by the 1980s people stayed democrats but voted republican. I think now its called progressive or secularist dems. Conservatives are also getting a bad name, but they'll never get branded as bad as liberals were.
I look at it this way. If you watch reruns of "All In the family" you had a poorly educated conservative, his nitwitted but educated liberal son in law, his daughter who wasn't that educated either but was liberal, and his wife Edith who was really the only person in the family who had common sense.
Michael was an hysteric who was brainwashed and completely narrow minded in his views and basically was an idiot. Archie was narrow minded too but had some basis in real world experience and knew alot more about how the world worked even if he wasn't that smart or educated. You could forgive him for his narrow mindness, it was largely through ignorance. Michael had no excuse. He was a jerk and some of his views were as bad as Archies. Gloria was just a robot and I think she basically went along with her husband because she saw him as educated and her father was not.
Of them all, Edith was the only one who ever listened to people, didn't judge people, didn't have pre conceived ideas she wouldn't budge from, and wasn't too arrogant to admit when she was wrong.
So you have idiotic liberals( Meatheads), stupid conservatives( Archies) and clear thinking independants( Ediths).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies