Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
The economy is bad and higher taxes is A-OK with me. 57 38.78%
The economy is bad and higher taxes is NOT okay with me. 90 61.22%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

I'm with Obama, Joe Biden, and Warren Buffet -- I don't mind giving a little more to fix the country. I can afford it. McCain & his wife should be able to afford it too. After all, they don't pay healthcare premiums (their sweet plan is paid for by us taxpayers). So they could put at least that much in the kitty to help pay down the war debt.

Now I don't blame anyone for not wanting to give any more money to the government, I'm just saying I can live with the taxes as they were under Bill Clinton. And that's a tax increase for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Economics 101 people. If you tax corporations, they WILL pass that onto you. You will either lose your job, get lower raises, loses community grants, etc. Whether you like it or not those big companies keep the rest of us working, which in turn allows us to buy things, which in turn keeps the economy going. If Obama is elected we ALL will pay in some way.
Exactly. Or the companies will simply say, "To hell with the U.S." and locate elsewhere.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
As long as we hold a huge national deficit we will have a bad economy, raise em up.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
So Nobama wants to spread the wealth, then in that sense he should have told Joe Plumber that if you come to my house to fix a leaking pipe and charge me $75 then I'll pay you $70 but I'll give the other $5 of that to those who need it more.

That's pretty much what Nobama is saying with his plan.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
So Nobama wants to spread the wealth, then in that sense he should have told Joe Plumber that if you come to my house to fix a leaking pipe and charge me $75 then I'll pay you $70 but I'll give the other $5 of that to those who need it more.

That's pretty much what Nobama is saying with his plan.
Or Joe the Plumber could lose his business because 95% of the people will have no cash to pay him with. Which of course Joe the plumber would then have to lower salaries to all employees except himself or hire illegals..(wait that is what we have now).

Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Economics 101 people. If you tax corporations, they WILL pass that onto you. You will either lose your job, get lower raises, loses community grants, etc. Whether you like it or not those big companies keep the rest of us working, which in turn allows us to buy things, which in turn keeps the economy going. If Obama is elected we ALL will pay in some way.
So if we lower their taxes (as we've done the past 8 years), we should get lower prices, higher pay, and more jobs, right?

Oops -- instead we get some incredibly well paid CEOs and directors, buying record-high priced properties in Manhattan and along the FL and CA coasts.

Sorry, doesn't work. And the "give 'em their tax breaks, just consider yer' self lucky they don't FIRE you!!!" argument falls flat too.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,345 times
Except in war time it's never 'ok' to raise taxes.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 PM

808 posts, read 1,148,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Riddle me this, Centaur. If you tax the crap out of businesses/employers, thereby encouraging them to set up shop in other countries with lower tax rates and socialized medicine (so they don't have to pay workers' benefits), how is that going to help the American economy and the middle class?
In case you didn't notice I said I'm all for taxing the bejesus out of companies who ALREADY are shipping all their jobs overseas. If they want to move shop, good for them. If they want to sell their goods and services to Americans then tax the bejesus out of them for the right to tap into the largest consumer market in the world instead. Save the good tax breaks for companies who bring their jobs to US soil. If they bring the jobs here then they get breaks. If they ship their jobs overseas then screw them and the horse they rode in on.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm with Obama, Joe Biden, and Warren Buffet -- I don't mind giving a little more to fix the country. I can afford it. McCain & his wife should be able to afford it too. After all, they don't pay healthcare premiums (their sweet plan is paid for by us taxpayers). So they could put at least that much in the kitty to help pay down the war debt.

Now I don't blame anyone for not wanting to give any more money to the government, I'm just saying I can live with the taxes as they were under Bill Clinton. And that's a tax increase for me.
The problem is that Obama wants to play Robin Hood. It just does not work, never has. You can not take from people and expect them to continue to put money into the economy. Think about it like this. You make say $300,000 per year. Now under McCain you get say 250,000 of that and under Obama you get 150,000. Which do you think would help the econmeny more? You spending from 250,000 or 150,000? When you have more money you buy things which creates jobs. Simply taking from one to give to another does not do that becuase now you have less so you buy less.

And on a side note, why should someone that works hard to make something of themselves have to give it to some that did not or took the easy way out?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yes he is....

Do you have anything to back up this claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies