Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
$3.17 down the street, saw $3.06 near downtown while running errands a couple of days ago.

I'm not going to say that there are people making more (on a percentage basis) than a couple of months ago, but you're forgetting a couple of things. First, it does take time for the contacts being bought today to turn into actual oil sitting at a refinery. Second, there are costs other than the raw materials when producing gasoline. If oil dropped to $0/bbl, you'd still have to pay for gas...
While I agree with you here, you have to admit the pace of price run up was far more reactive than the price downturn. Frankly, at this moment I don't see a justification (including out here in CA) for pump prices over $2.80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Ahem, see post #27, and note the date (oil was at about $140 and increasing)
LOL. At least you're humble, eh?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
CD DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSSSSSDAAAAAYYYY SQUUUUAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Where are they? The ignorant... no... STUPID fools that made all these claims that oil would NEVER go back down. Maybe it will stay, maybe it won't... the point is its down and it continues to go down. I want name names soooo bad!... Because I know none of those people will show their face. But for those who wish to know who those people are, they're the ones who say America will NEVER claw their way out of this economic crisis... just look for those jive talkin' fools.
But gas prices certainly haven't gone down to half of their former prices have they? We're still paying around 3 dollars a gallon here in North Texas. And I hear in other places it's MUCH higher.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why is it that oil has dropped exactly in half, 50% from about $140 to $70 yet the price at the pump has only dropped 25%??????

Seems to me some one is making more money now then they did when the price at the pump was at it's highest.

My thoughts exactly. They rise them the day of an oil increase, but decrease them ever so slowly. It's called gouging the customer. The b*stards..

Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
LOL. At least you're humble, eh?
Nah, but you have to admit in the environment we were experiencing at that time, it was a very contrarian position. My main point though is the commodity itself is very profitable at $70, for tough extraction and alternative production.

Those higher prices were never justified, despite all of that junk you heard about "peak oil".

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Nah, but you have to admit in the environment we were experiencing at that time, is was a very contrarian position. My main point though is the commodity itself is very profitable at $70, for tough extraction and alternative production.

Those higher prices were never justified, despite all of that junk you heard about "peak oil".
I'm just harassing you. You were right and I was one who was quick to panic. I don't think there's anything wrong with rubbing some noses in it.

So was it just what you were reading at the time or were there signs that you were aware of?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I'm just harassing you. You were right and I was one who was quick to panic. I don't think there's anything wrong with rubbing some noses in it.

So was it just what you were reading at the time or were there signs that you were aware of?
I was reading a few things, mostly from the industry itself. I was trying to find out:

1 - the cost to extract, process and transport the oil obtained from the Alberta oil sands

2 - The cost to create, process and transport oil created by the Brazilian sugar based ethanol

3 - The cost to reimburse over a three year period all of the money spent to develop the infrastructure for biomass produced fuel, plus the cost of processing and transportation

All of these came in very profitable at $70, hence my statement back at that time.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I was reading a few things, mostly from the industry itself. I was trying to find out:

1 - the cost to extract, process and transport the oil obtained from the Alberta oil sands

2 - The cost to create, process and transport oil created by the Brazilian sugar based ethanol

3 - The cost to reimburse over a three year period all of the money spent to develop the infrastructure for biomass produced fuel, plus the cost of processing and transportation

All of these came in very profitable at $70, hence my statement back at that time.
Very sharp. My compliments.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Notice how now that prices have come down and people quit panicking about the high price, the clowns.......oops I mean candidates have quit talking about doing something about it...(even though they never intended to do anything about it).

I wonder if the auto makers will also quit their accelerated research to develop a car that does not need gas.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
If you will all think back to the last election the prices dropped to about $2.50 a gal. after the elect they climbed like titan rocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies