Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Nothing the OP has said has convinced me that Obama intends to COMPLETELY disregard the Second Amendment.
ah and there is the key word..........

so if he disregards it just a little that's ok then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
"“Do you support state legislation to … ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.”
(Independent Voters of Illinois/Independent Precinct Organization general candidate questionnaire, Sept. 9, 1996)

“I’m consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
(Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004)

“I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers lobby.”
Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope (2006).

Prepared now, yes. Wise Americans will purchase now what will be banned soon if this guy gets into office.

Our protests against the deterioration of our Second Amendment Rights will be heard and acted upon...just like our protests against the bailout were.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Let us examine this hypothetical sitution suggested by the op; BHO takes office and immediatly starts taking steps that attack the 2nd Amendment. IMHO The current SCOTUS will, by a thin margine prevent the outright ban and confiscation of legally owned firearms. Thwarted by this BHO and his ilk will more then likely make the purchase and ownership of AMMUNITION illegal or at least very hard. After that he will take the opertunity to load SCOTUS will antigunners and then attack direct ownership. Of course this is just my opinion, but I'm stocking up on milspec 5.56 and 9mm just the same..........

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Question: What can or should we do to become prepared?
Just lay down and accept it? Plan for a nasty future? Pray?
Buy weapons now while we can? What?

Buying the guns you want now may sound good but the bills will be passed to keep you from using them, my opinion is to vote out the anti gun nuts in government, some folks think the legal gun owner is a paranoid nut but I see the anti gun folks as the paranoid one, they automatically think everyone buys a gun to kill someone, many think guns kill, well they don't without a criminal behind them, so for me it is to look up the politicians who are anti gun and vote against them, I watch my state and assembly bills and write the folks for and against them stating my thoughts.
If the anti gun side would open their eyes they would see it's not the gun it's the criminal, enforce the existing laws and make the punishment fit the crime for those who use guns to commit crimes and the problem is solved.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Where is you source that Obama supports the "Assault Weapons Bill"?

Geez ...must you be so lazy?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Where is you source that Obama supports the "Assault Weapons Bill"?

Geez ...must you be so lazy?
http://obama.3cdn.net/84b2062fc4a5114715_ftxamv9ot.pdf

"Senator Obama supports making permanent the expired federal Assault Weapon Ban."

Old 10-17-2008, 03:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Question: What can or should we do to become prepared?
Collect books on relevant subjects. Why you'd ever be disarmed if you have access to basic tools and a hardware store is beyond me. From making your own propellants to building silencers, it's all in books and the materials are easy to get.

Not too many people are ever going to need the accuracy of an AR15 when a home made bullet hose can be made...

Besides, if the Dems go too far, I have a hard time believing that some battle hardened old veteran not too far from dying of old age wouldn't pick one or two off from 500 yards and make the others start reconsidering their positions... Or we can hope he spends too much time at the range and can do it at 1,000.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Nothing the OP has said has convinced me that Obama intends to completely disregard the Second Amendment.
. . . or even slightly disregard it. It's just the gun people doing their knee-jerk Republican thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,748 times
We need to stop letting these paranoid gun fetishists control policy. Any rational person would agree some form of weapons control is necessary. The question is where do we draw the line? Do citizens have the right to own nuclear weapons? Should everyone be allowed to run around with assault weapons? That's what politics is about. You hammer out your disagreements and come to a compromise.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Should everyone be allowed to run around with assault weapons?
I'll start. The first issue is that you anti-gunners should know something about firearms before you try banning them.

Just because a weapon, an assault rifle, for example, looks more dangerous, the likelihood that it is isn't very high. The effective range is going to be contingent on the ammunition. However, the clowns who are doing drive-bys and such aren't going to the range and finding out how their rifle handles a given load. They're shoving cartridges that were packaged in a paper bag into the thing and just firing.

At the ranges they use them at, a shotgun or a pistol would be more effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies