Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,409,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Actually the automatic weapons guns in Mexico mainly are supplied from the U.S.

But yes, a very scary scenario to be sure.
How do you figure that?
Automatic weapons for the most part are only available to police & Military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,306,976 times
Mine were all stolen, Herr Obama. Move along to the next house.

In all seriousness, I think the number of people who would file a police report to report their "stolen guns" would keep the police busy for months. After the UK and Australia, many would never give up their guns.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,708 times
The second amendment states:
Quote:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
It doesn't say anything about guns. It says that our right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

Apparently, if we want to defend ourselves we should do so with a bear arm; like a sword I suppose, maybe use it as a projectile, it sure would scare the hell out of an intruder. Imagine robbing a house and a guy runs at you with a bear arm! Impracticable, but the founding fathers knew what they were talking about.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,352,708 times
Does anyone here know any cops? If so, ask them if they'd even show up for work if asked to assist in house to house gun confiscation raids. There are about 2500 agents in the BATF. That's one agent for every 100 FFL's and every 40,000 gun owners. They ain't gonna be able to confiscate guns without a LOT of help. They're gonna need more than one agent to take my guns. And I'm a moderate.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,443 times
Default Live and let live

We have too many folks in this country that are on drugs, don’t like to work, or just waiting for another stimulus check. I am of the mind set that you can do what you wish as long as it does not infringe on me or mine. I hate a thief! They should be shot on sight. I am of the mind set that you can do what you wish as long as it does not infringe on me or mine. Well maybe not on sight but unless he or she freezes unarms, lays on floor they forfeit their right to life. I am not going to negotiate with some freak breaking into my house. I am armed and don't mind shooting a thief. Too many hoodlums think that just because other people have it they should have it too. We need to make obsolete the profession of thief. If you kill em all not many will want to take up the profession.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 AM

139 posts, read 434,714 times
People don’t learn about the Holocaust to memorize more dates and show off their erudition. Instead, people examine atrocities to prevent them from recurring; historians observe the troubling trends of history and then analyze why these trends are harmful. It is not enough to say we should never elect Adolph Hitler again. We don’t live in the past and thus must understand its theoretical lessons do not consist in blindly gathering data, but in garnering a paradigm with which to guide future policy decisions.

One of the biggest misconceptions about Adolph Hitler and the Nazis is that they were somehow fundamentally different from Joseph Stalin and the Communists. Hitler is “right wing†and Stalin is “leftist.†This is evident in the insipid comparison of Bush and Hitler. Briefly, people believe Hitler an extreme Republican and Stalin an extreme Democrat. Nothing could be further from the truth – in fact they are both extremist in their hatred of private property and liberty. Hitler’s hatred of the Communists was mere rhetoric because when looked at, both he and Stalin did not differ in their Hegelian belief that “man owes his entire existence to the state.â€

f you ignore the anti-Semitism, and actually read the political platform of the Nazis (NSDAP), it reads very much like the progressive nonsense that many politicians today espouse. The Nazis were supportive of welfare, social security, workers’ rights, national health care, public education, the nationalization of industry, and finally the redistribution of wealth through heavy taxation. Sound like Democratic presidential hopeful?

Once again, the common perception that gun toting, redneck NRA members would support Hitler is completely wrong. They would be appalled, among other things to find that not only did the Nuremberg Laws of 1935 prohibit Jews from owning guns, but the 1938 National Weapons Law made gun ownership restricted to “…persons whose trustworthiness is not in question and who can show a need for a (gun) permit.â€

The problems with gun “control†are many. Although the two talking points that gun ownership decreases crime and that criminalizing guns ensures only criminals will have them are convincing, there is an even more important lesson to learn specifically from the Holocaust.

An armed populace is not easily subjected to tyranny. Armed citizens are able to protect themselves against foreign and domestic aggression. When Hitler took away the Jews’ right to own weapons, alarms should have gone off. A person who normally wouldn’t own guns, should have gone out and armed himself simply because it was illegal. This does not advocate going out and buying weapons right now, simply that if our government were to prohibit any group from owning weapons, then you should go out and arm yourselves to the brim.

As Americans we should understand that our country was founded on principles that would obviate any such despotism with our rights immutably codified. We would do well to heed to advice of Thomas Jefferson when he proclaimed, “What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.â€

Although my ideas are probably difficult to accept, they mesh nicely with our American idea that government is best when it governs least. Social scientists are always talking about experimenting with communism and other forms of government interventionism, but they never talk about experimenting with liberty. Yet if looked at objectively, we find that most of the horrors of the world have been caused by the state. If society ever hopes to progress, it must learn these lessons and see that far from being extreme, the kind of logic that stands behind the state is the kind of logic that sanctions the Holocaust.

Theoretically we are free in America, I choose to have guns. I know there are those of you who don't want anything to do with guns, that is fine. I can respect you for that, but don't tell me I can't own a firearm.

As a sticker I saw in a movie once, "You can take my gun from my cold dead hand." By the way, that movie was "Red Dawn. Also Charlton Heston said it, as well.

The second amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

To Bear Arms has two meanings.
1. To carry or posses firearms
2. To serve as a soldier

I own firearms, I have also served my country, and will again if I called upon.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,719,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
How do you figure that?
Automatic weapons for the most part are only available to police & Military.
It's not that hard.Just do the paperwork and pay the MAN........

Can I own a machine gun
Can You Purchase a Machine Gun or other Class 3 Weapon?
National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,719,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Does anyone here know any cops? If so, ask them if they'd even show up for work if asked to assist in house to house gun confiscation raids. There are about 2500 agents in the BATF. That's one agent for every 100 FFL's and every 40,000 gun owners. They ain't gonna be able to confiscate guns without a LOT of help. They're gonna need more than one agent to take my guns. And I'm a moderate.
HaHa not in my town! The cops get me to pratice opfor with them. I get to take over the school and they hunt me down!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,965,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Sadly, illegal immigrants now out of work due to the housing depression can get some extra scratch and perhaps citizenship just for helping sheriffs to evict foreclosed homeowners as well as aiding in the confiscation of guns.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,210,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Nothing the OP has said has convinced me that Obama intends to completely disregard the Second Amendment.
I think they've just been convinced by the right wing smear machine that Obama will take away their guns.

Personally, I could care less because I never have and never will own a gun. I'm for reasonable gun control, and with all the school shootings we've had, it seems logical that we would put some sort of new controls in place. But if Johnny Redneck wants to go shoot cans and squirrels on his property, I support his right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies