Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

Glenn Beck is actually really good at his radio show, and I think that translated to TV. IMO, he's second only to Rush in his mastery of the talk radio format. Keep in mind I DO NOT agree with either person's politics AT ALL, but from a pure entertainment perspective they are both very good and Glenn Beck deserves the promotion (longer contract & more money). HLN was not the same as working for the flagship CNN, so it's not really a comparison of working for CNN vs. Fox News... it's more like a job at CNN vs. a job at Fox Business Channel or CNBC.

Another interesting thing... I listened to Glenn Beck regularly years ago. I think he was out of FL somewhere at the time (he started in Corpus Christi, TX). His politics have completely changed, and I think it is totally a money thing. He used to be libertarian, almost democrat, and his program was heavy on sarcastic and dry humor. It was hilarious! But he only really started become big-time when he went right-wing on the content. It's "what brings the callers out," to quote Rush Limbaugh. Anyway, it's just entertainment, and the "format" has changed to address a bigger audience (within the daytime AM radio format)... unfortunately, at the cost of the comedy and sarcasm of his show, which I used to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Beck has a nice voice.

Y'know when you say something to a dog ("good doggy") - it doesn't matter so much what you say, but rather the tone of voice - that may help explain Beck's listeners.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I love Glenn Beck. He's my favorite TV opinion jockey. He was courted by Fox because his ratings went up 200% since his TV show debuted in 2006. He has the third most listened to talk radio show in the 25 - 54 demographic. I'm guessing Mr Beck got a good monetary deal for working so hard to improve his ratings...which Barack Obama will take away. I just hope Fox News doesn't muzzle him or force him to do those 10 second segments. I call them the "hurry up, hurry up it's almost time for a commercial" FOX opinion jockey segments. I think his appeal is that he's allowed to talk for more than 2 seconds with his guests and he's more of an everyman. I saw Sarah Palin on his show back in June (talking about energy) when no one was talking to her or about her as VP.

He's off CNN now and Fox is not scheduled to pick up his show until Spring.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I do not mind listening to people like Rush, Sean Hannity and Mark Levin. Although I do not agree with many of their views, they can be at least entertaining. Today, I was listening to Glenn Beck and I could not believe this guy, what a moron! He was saying that out of the 4 people that are running for President/VP, Sarah Palin is the ONLY one he was willing to support and stand up for, as if she was the best qualified of the four! I still do not understand how this moron can have a TV and a radio show.
I understand just fine. There are a lot of morons in this world. Other morons will enjoy watching Glenn Beck. The tea baggers make us "real Americans" laugh.

Thank God for Obama and Democrats!!! Obama 2012!!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Beck is arguably the biggest moron amongst all the right wing morons.

I dont know who his target audience is, he must be after the drippings from Flush or Insanity
Here let me answer the question for you.

Glenn Beck's target audience: the right wing morons. You said it yourself.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I understand just fine. There are a lot of morons in this world. Other morons will enjoy watching Glenn Beck. The tea baggers make us "real Americans" laugh.

Your name says it all. You live in a fantasy world.

Republicans and Democrats might as well be the same party. You are like a frickin' Lemming headed for the cliff. Vote Libertarian and break free of the nonsense.

Unless you are one of the millions just looking for a meal ticket, use your head and vote your conscience. It is OK to slam Beck, but lets see if Obama lives up to his words.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Your name says it all. You live in a fantasy world.

Republicans and Democrats might as well be the same party. You are like a frickin' Lemming headed for the cliff. Vote Libertarian and break free of the nonsense.

Unless you are one of the millions just looking for a meal ticket, use your head and vote your conscience. It is OK to slam Beck, but lets see if Obama lives up to his words.
Yeah I agree there's not much difference between the two parties as far as getting things done for the American people but I feel Democrats are the lesser of the two evils. Let's be honest. Third parties like libertarians, the green party, etc. never get off the ground. It's always either a Republican or a Democrat that wins the presidential elections. I vote for the lesser of the two evils.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:36 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree there's not much difference between the two parties as far as getting things done for the American people but I feel Democrats are the lesser of the two evils. Let's be honest. Third parties like libertarians, the green party, etc. never get off the ground. It's always either a Republican or a Democrat that wins the presidential elections. I vote for the lesser of the two evils.
Much of this problem revolves around the existence of the Electoral College. Politicians are not required to follow the popular vote for their state. It is truly a shame that they will never get off the ground. Is it really the people's vote that counts?

Obama talks about CHANGE, but the only TRUE change will come with a third party ticket being elected president. Fifty percent of voters elect not to vote in any given election. If just half of those who chose not to vote voted for a third party candidate, the political landscape would change dramatically.

A majority of people in this country do not give themselves the time to study the backgrounds of third party candidates. They have the same mindframe and vote the lesser of two evils. Did Obama get elected because he was Obama, or because they spited the Republican party to some horrible extent?

A vote is NEVER thrown away if you vote your conscience!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
He used to be libertarian, almost democrat,
More evidence that the Democratic Party is a lot closer to libertarian philosophies than the Republican Party.

Thank you for your comment.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:49 PM

105 posts, read 147,716 times
Quote:

Being one of the suckers that follows Obama, even after ten months of total failure, tells me you have no business calling anyone a moron..! As far as your claim to being a real American, you may be, but you're not a very smart American. BO is leading our nation to destruction, and you like what you see in him...? How sad for you.
BO hasn't got a chance in H3ll of getting reelected in '12. If he really loves this country, which he doesn't, he would resign immediately. and take dumb Joe, and plastic Nancy with him....
Listen to Glen, or suffer the consequences...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies