Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,135,279 times

Advertisements

I think you know that I agree with you, winnie.

But I think I understand how some of the guys feel, especially those that fought in either 'Nam or that other Iraq thing--which we don't call a war.

It must bring up a lot of pain for them--and these men are my contemporaries; I empathize with them, perhaps understand them but just can't agree with them.

And I did support them 1000% when they were fighting in Vietnam! And I support these guys in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere--just not the war, the bloody war!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Would be nice if GB listened!
We already are in a pickle about our defense spending and replentishing things like tanks and aircraft and maintining morale. Thanks to this war and the $$ wasted on it!
Why can't people understand that most people who support this resolution are NOT anti-military? We are anti-waste, anti-stupidity, anti-18 year olds coming home in a bodybag for an illegal war of lies. Stop taking it personally.
Bullets and helmets don't cost millions. Contracts with Halliburton do.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,097,562 times
This talk of democrats being anti-military must stop...it is a political tactic being used by conservatives and the president to pit the country against one another. I sincerely hope that other servicemen do not buy it. Compared to the Vietnam vets these guys have much more public support for their efforts. This disgust is lined right at the President clear as day and he is trying to deflect it onto our troops! It makes me ill. He should be a man and stand up and publicly state that he knows the anger is towards him and HIS policies instead of being a whimp.

At a time where our country had the BEST opportunity to be united in sorrow and in rebuilding we are now divided. When is it going to stop? Where is this so called "uniter" we were supposed to see in Bush? Instead we got "The Decider" and "The Divider".

Old 02-17-2007, 10:14 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,998 times
Default Text of resolution

For those who havent actually read the text of the resolution passed by the house, here it is:

CONCURRENT RESOLUTION

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That--

(1) Congress and the American people will continue to support and protect the members of the United States Armed Forces who are serving or who have served bravely and honorably in Iraq; and

(2) Congress disapproves of the decision of President George W. Bush announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq.
Passed the House of Representatives February 16, 2007.

Attest:

Clerk.

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. CON. RES. 63

CONCURRENT RESOLUTION
Disapproving of the decision of the President announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 PM

986 posts, read 2,809,824 times
It is a joke it's "non-binding".....all it is doing is making us look like a "paper tiger to our enemies"....

Old 02-17-2007, 12:19 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
How do folks feel about the non-binding resolution against troop surges:

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-02-16-voa49.cfm (broken link)
Meaningless political gesture. Gave some politicians some soundbites that they can play on ABC. About as meaningful and relevant politically as the Scooter Libby trial (which is, to say, not relevant at all.)

Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 PM

986 posts, read 2,809,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Meaningless political gesture. Gave some politicians some soundbites that they can play on ABC. About as meaningful and relevant politically as the Scooter Libby trial (which is, to say, not relevant at all.)
You got that right!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,579,504 times
They have done a good job at embarrassing W. Now they are doing a better job of embarassing the rest of us. It looks like Osama was right we are a paper tiger with no stomach for a fight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.