Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Hmm, let me think about that. As I said before, I have no problem w/people making money when they actually use their money for good.

And you think that all these people use their money for good? Seriously, it is nothing but a publicity stunt. How often do people like Oprah so things nice for no reason and quietly. NEVER. They always want to camera's around to show the world what they are doing. That makes them even more money because suckers think "oh what nice people they are, I am going to see all their movies now". Publicity at it's best.

IMO, people who quietly use their money for charity without all the fan fair are the only ones that should be given credit for doing good with their money.

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
So you ask a question & then jump on our response. Interesting when some of the posters on here do that. The question seems innocent enough, but it's obviously a loaded question. You prefer to see posts that agree w/your mindset.

No, not true. But proclaiming that CEO's do nothing but collect other people's money is a bit over the top. That is why it warrented my response.

Kristine

Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
If these people are doing good w/their money, such as giving to charity, then no. However, how many of those CEO's do YOU think are charitable?
Alot of them because just like the actors they can write much of it off.Look at the biggest contributors. Look at when bush ran for office first time and their tax returns Chaney and his wife gave a huge amount if to charity;way more than half fo what was mostly his wifes earnings that year.Then Bush gave alot. Gore gave somethig like 300 + dollars. Easy to talk the talk and not walk the walk.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
And you think that all these people use their money for good? Seriously, it is nothing but a publicity stunt. How often do people like Oprah so things nice for no reason and quietly. NEVER. They always want to camera's around to show the world what they are doing. That makes them even more money because suckers think "oh what nice people they are, I am going to see all their movies now". Publicity at it's best.

IMO, people who quietly use their money for charity without all the fan fair are the only ones that should be given credit for doing good with their money.

Kristine
Let's see, reviewing my previous posts, I clearly did not point out anyone or any group specifically. You asked if we had a problem w/the kind of money actors make. I said no, if they use their money for good. I have no problem w/actors OR ceo's who use their money for good. Do you see what I'm getting at?

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The CEO's make nothing,
Once AGAIN - you are mistaken -

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
ANYONE making as much money as they can by working hard or by their talent is the American dream. I think the real question you are asking here is "Do you begrudge those who make a lot of money because you don't?"
Now, when that money is given to those who do not work, such as those who receive large salaries from government tax payers, yea, THAT I have a problem with.
But those who have a talent and someone is willing to pay them for it, why begrudge that? If someone has worked there way up to CEO level, they deserve it.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
No, not true. But proclaiming that CEO's do nothing but collect other people's money is a bit over the top. That is why it warrented my response.

Kristine
Did I say that? I forget, I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. You must be thinking of ANOTHER poster.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
I do have a serious question for those who seemed just disgusted about what CEO's of companies make. Do you feel the same about actor/actresses and sports people? I mean, some of these people are making 20 million PER FILM.

Kristine
I am not disgusted with what CEO's make per se. I am disgusted when a CEO runs a company into the ground, devastates its employees' retirement accounts, wipes out the investors' holdings, and puts a burden on the public -- all through fraud and shady corporate practices -- and still gets to walk away with a "golden parachute", usually to a higher-paying job, after performing a few shenanigans in courts and legislatures. I am disgusted that Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code basically allows corporate executives to bleed an ailing business (ailing because of their ineptitude or dishonesty) completely dry, so that when the company finally liquidates, the investors get bupkes. I am disgusted that investors have very little control over corporate officers, and that in today's corporate culture, CEO's have little incentive to make the company they lead prosper, rather than lining their pockets at the company's expense. A lot of CEO's of public companies today have little interest or expertise in the company's actual business (unless it's a bank) -- and that's disgusting also. I am disgusted by corporate welfare, made possible by outrageous tax deductions. I am disgusted that a CEO can go for decades never paying for his own lunch, while his secretary must pay for hers and give up a greater percentage of her income as taxes.

Apart from these considerations, I don't care how much anyone makes. When Hollywood actors start being rewarded for wiping out people's life savings and leaving whole states without electricity in the middle of a heat wave -- then I'll start being disgusted at them also.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
ANYONE making as much money as they can by working hard or by their talent is the American dream. I think the real question you are asking here is "Do you begrudge those who make a lot of money because you don't?"
Now, when that money is given to those who do not work, such as those who receive large salaries from government tax payers, yea, THAT I have a problem with.
But those who have a talent and someone is willing to pay them for it, why begrudge that? If someone has worked there way up to CEO level, they deserve it.
You and I are on the EXACT same page. The CEO's that got the tax payer dollars make me ill. They should either be in prison or have to pay every cent of that back. But anyone who works hard deserves everything they make. I could care less how much people make as long as they don't come looking for my money when they screw up.

Kristine

Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Let's see, reviewing my previous posts, I clearly did not point out anyone or any group specifically. You asked if we had a problem w/the kind of money actors make. I said no, if they use their money for good. I have no problem w/actors OR ceo's who use their money for good. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Yes, you are crystal clear.

Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies