Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,246,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Come again? Where did I say all of this? I just asked one poster one question in this thread.

Oh, and to answer the OP question, as long as my money isn't involved, I don't care.
I was responding to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM

290 posts, read 522,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Except that as a CEO...they generally "voluntarily resign" with a fat severance package, and another decent job lined up.
I agree. Generally they do because generally they have been very successful and have a proven track records that justifies their new decent job. What is the problem with that?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,775,088 times
There is always alternate entertainment options like minor league baseball or major league lacrosse. there is the dollar movie. And the fact that you can move up in entertainment provides incentive for you to produce more. Heck you could get an MBA and become a CEO.

True. But the "alternate" entertainment is generally not as exciting. Hence it is affordable.

And I do have an MBA. Don't think I will ever make CEO though. Don't have the connections and not much of a butt kisser.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,527,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
I agree. Generally they do because generally they have been very successful and have a proven track records that justifies their new decent job. What is the problem with that?
Well, they're getting FIRED...paid to leave...not many people get that kinda deal.

Proven track record? Their track record is why they're being asked to leave.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,535,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Oh, and FYI - my boss and the CEO this company used to work in the mailroom of the company he now owns while he was in college getting his MBA. Now THAT is the American dream and how life should be. He earns every cent he makes IMO.

Kristine
The way you are bragging about and defending this gloat of a CEO dead weight that sits next to you is making me suspicious.

If he is only making $100K then I cant say much bad about him. If he is one of the average CEOs that we are all talking about, those who make enough in a year to almost erase an entire states budget deficit and run a company to the ground and walk away with a few billion bonus/reward, that is what makes us all angry.

What if this happened to you? You might find yourself walking around looking like an ex Enron employee who lost their entire retirement savings and now have to work far past retirement age.

Ken Lay got what he deserved. For that us little people are happy. We just wish he suffered a bit more before he kicked the bucket.

Last edited by desertsun41; 10-22-2008 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-22-2008, 03:06 PM

290 posts, read 522,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
There is always alternate entertainment options like minor league baseball or major league lacrosse. there is the dollar movie. And the fact that you can move up in entertainment provides incentive for you to produce more. Heck you could get an MBA and become a CEO.

True. But the "alternate" entertainment is generally not as exciting. Hence it is affordable.

And I do have an MBA. Don't think I will ever make CEO though. Don't have the connections and not much of a butt kisser.
Apparently the Bronco game was affordable to 70,000 people last week. The Mammoth has higher attendance than either the Nuggets or the Avalanche. Very exciting and very affordable. Maybe you meant to say the alternate entertainment is not in as high a demand hence more affordable. Affordability has much more to do with demand than excitement.

I don't think you will make CEO either because you apparently believe the qualifications are connections and butt kissing. I can guarantee that boards are looking for people that know how to add value to the company from that position.

I find it amusing that all these people who don't know how a CEO adds value to a company think they can do a better job, when the job ultimately is to add value to a company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, they're getting FIRED...paid to leave...not many people get that kinda deal.
True - only the smart ones that negotiate it beforehand.
Quote:
Proven track record? Their track record is why they're being asked to leave.
Um proven track record at the time of negotiation.This happens when they are hired, not fired. They are not able to make the same negotiation once their record is tarnished.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
It makes no sense. Why would someone making so much money and having such a fine lifestyle risk all that for a little more money. Also it generally takes years of proven integrety to rise to the ranks of a CEO.

P { MARGIN: 0px } UL { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px } OL { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px }

Ummm it's called greed. Take a look at your politicians you all vote for and support. Look at that 84 YO Billionare Alaskan politico up on charges for stealing in the news now? Look at that other clown Strom Thermond...92 years old and still on the job. He ain't doing anything like the rest of those criminals in the White House but he is on the job. GREED !!!

Why does Warren Buffet contine to go to work? Why does Donald Trump continue to go to work? They have enough loot to survive a million years if they could live that long. GREED !!!!

On the other hand, greed is the American way. It is engraved into our culture. For that it is none of our fault.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,055,448 times
Quote:

As I said above, both actors and CEO's get paid on past performance. This amount was negotiated long ago. The risk takers in both cases use that to estimate future results. When movies flop and the producers lose money, that actor makes less on the next movie. Exactly the same for CEO's. Do you honestly believe that your former executive of AIG will be able to negotiate a $68M parachute in his next position? By the way according to an earlier post, that is equal to less than 2 weeks severance pay at a million dollars an hour. Last time I was laid off, I got 2 months.

According to some business folks, a multi-million $$$$$ flop has a much better chance of being hired/placed on boards than a mere several hundred $K flop. The high roller is considered to have just had a run of bad luck while the lower paid exec is branded as incompetent. Go figure.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Apparently the Bronco game was affordable to 70,000 people last week. The Mammoth has higher attendance than either the Nuggets or the Avalanche. Very exciting and very affordable. Maybe you meant to say the alternate entertainment is not in as high a demand hence more affordable. Affordability has much more to do with demand than excitement.

I don't think you will make CEO either because you apparently believe the qualifications are connections and butt kissing. I can guarantee that boards are looking for people that know how to add value to the company from that position.

I find it amusing that all these people who don't know how a CEO adds value to a company think they can do a better job, when the job ultimately is to add value to a company.
True - only the smart ones that negotiate it beforehand.Um proven track record at the time of negotiation.This happens when they are hired, not fired. They are not able to make the same negotiation once their record is tarnished.
Ok ok you have made it quite clear that you are filthy rich and have no idea how the other half lives.

When was the last time you ever heard of any blue collar worker signing a contract specifying that they get a $50 million if they get fired? Ok how about one single dollar for getting fired? How about a potential employee demanding $50 an hour or go to hell?

In the real world none of that happens. Most of us are just working slobs who bow to what is offered and no...zero...notta...none P { MARGIN: 0px } UL { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px } OL { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px } negations are possible. The better employers offer a pittance of a quarter an hour raise per year for your troubles. Even that is quickly disapearing.

So stop your bragging. CEOs suck. All of them. Am I jelous? Doesn't matter. CEOs still suck.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,145,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So stop your bragging. CEOs suck. All of them. Am I jelous? Doesn't matter. CEOs still suck.
Let's see - I'm a "CEO" - I own my own businesses. I employ people. I take the financial risks of such.

I pay my staff well. I provide them benefits.

Do I make a profit? Yes - I would not stay in business if I did not. Do I apologize for making a profit and providing my family a comfortable lifestyle? Not in the least - why should I.

IMO, your "vision" about CEO's is somewhat "skewed" to say the least -

CEO's don't suck. They are necessary. You have a job because of a "CEO"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies