Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

As bad as things are getting, do you think we could slip into another depression? I worried about it b/c my mutual funds, along with everyone elses have plummeted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Seems the only difference between recession and depression is if you have a job. From the way it looks this recession is quickly turning into something far worse these past several days. It seems it could have been prevented if the right things had been done in Washington. Over the last 28 years the nation has been operating with republican administrations running the White House for 20 of them.

The H.R.3995 affordability act was being pushed by 58 Rep and 20Dem back in 2002 and if you check the Whitehouse.gov archives for the spring of 2002 you’ll see where George pushed for this bill be move forward. Seems he was very much in favor of removing government regulations and monitoring of the housing market.

Phil Gramm was also very active in removing the regulations and oversight of the housing mortgages and monitoring Wall Street. He is now an active member and leader of the McCain campaign.

Foreclosure Phil

This isn’t going to get better until we have leadership in Washington.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021015-7.html

Last edited by AksarbeN; 10-24-2008 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Remember hind sight is 20/20. Do you truly think anyone wanted this to happen when they were making decisions 6 years ago? I think they did what they felt was best for the United States. This has been coming for years now, it has just finally peak right before an election (lucky for Obama eh?) which is why so many are focused on what past leadership has done.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Nobody wanted or planned this to happen, however some people had special interest in keeping the economy moving and not stalling out. The housing market was just the ticket to continue keeping people employed building homes and all the related fields. Build a house, sell new furniture and decorations for the interior, add landscaping etc. etc. and many many people continue to earn an income. How the job markets in the toilet, businesses are closed or closing, and there is no indication that things will turn around soon. The economy in 2002 had no engine other then the WAR and building housing. It was this administrations ONLY way to keep people working. Without the housing boom of the 2002 + the economy would have crashed sooner.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
Today Britain is in recession. GOOD!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Unhappy Greenspan ,, man of the year ~ sort of

Greenspan:
I was wrong about the economy. Sort of ~

Greenspan - I was wrong about the economy. Sort of | Business | The Guardian

Alan Greenspan now said there was a “mistake” in the free market ideology.

In prepared remarks before the House of Representatives, Greenspan, 82, who retired in 2006, called the financial crisis a "once-in-a-century credit tsunami" and said it had "turned out to be much broader than anything I could have imagined".

He suggested his trust in the responsibility of banks had been misplaced: "Those of us who have looked to the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholders' equity (myself especially) are in a state of shocked disbelief."

The congressional committee's Democratic chairman, Henry Waxman, pressed him: "You found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right, it was not working?" Greenspan agreed: "That's precisely the reason I was shocked because I'd been going for 40 years or so with considerable evidence that it was working exceptionally well."

- I think I saw this coming in 2002,,,, and I can hardly balance my checkbook each month.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:21 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Today Britain is in recession. GOOD!!!!!!!!
What is good about Britain being in a recession? Were you asleep for the past 20 years of globalization. Recessions in Europe and Asia can trigger recessions in the United States and vise versa. Part of why the dow has declined so sharply and banks are in trouble is because of the interconnectedness of the economy. If the Lloyd's TSB or The Royal Bank of Scotland group has a problem it is likely City Group, Bank of America and JP Morgan Chase will likely be in the same boat. With stock markets it is like dominos. If Europe goes, The US goes, then Asia goes in the same order as sun rises and sets on these places.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
It was America who started this one. Thanks for putting this spendaholic up their toffee noses country in this position. Its the best thing you did for us since 1941.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Seems the only difference between recession and depression is if you have a job. From the way it looks this recession is quickly turning into something far worse these past several days. It seems it could have been prevented if the right things had been done in Washington. Over the last 28 years the nation has been operating with republican administrations running the White House for 20 of them.

The H.R.3995 affordability act was being pushed by 58 Rep and 20Dem back in 2002 and if you check the Whitehouse.gov archives for the spring of 2002 you’ll see where George pushed for this bill be move forward. Seems he was very much in favor of removing government regulations and monitoring of the housing market.

Phil Gramm was also very active in removing the regulations and oversight of the housing mortgages and monitoring Wall Street. He is now an active member and leader of the McCain campaign.

Foreclosure Phil

This isn’t going to get better until we have leadership in Washington.

President Hosts Conference on Minority Homeownership

Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Remember hind sight is 20/20. Do you truly think anyone wanted this to happen when they were making decisions 6 years ago? I think they did what they felt was best for the United States. This has been coming for years now, it has just finally peak right before an election (lucky for Obama eh?) which is why so many are focused on what past leadership has done.
Right..Greenspan said he was "shocked" to find out the banksters weren't regulating themselves after they lobbied to get more freedoms.

And the voluntary SEC monitoring of the banks ended because all of them no longer exist.

Government was warned of these problems years ago.

But the party kept going on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies