Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:13 AM

40 posts, read 146,839 times

Advertisements

All of these threads on diversity, predjudice, affirmative action, playing the race card, diversity training ,all of this is very non productive when you have cultural pressure not to succeed, these programs are suppose to assist but in order for them to ever work, you have to start by looking at the dysfunctional rotting culture that is prevalent today, their truly is no hope for some young men unless things change. Im constantly reading posts on not enough minorities here or we need affirmative action their. Things will never be close to being even, because the pool to pull talent from certain segments of the population is so small. Unless their is some type of "cultural
shift", the playing field/gap/median income will continue to decrease except for the very few. The future is quite bleak!

Last edited by thepoint; 02-18-2007 at 02:35 AM..

Old 02-18-2007, 02:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,105,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoint View Post
All of these threads on diversity, predjudice, affirmative action, playing the race card, diversity training ,all of this is very non productive when you have cultural pressure not to suceed, these programs are suppose to assist but in order for them to ever work, you have to start by looking at the dysfunctional rotting culture that is prevalent today, their truly is no hope for some young men unless things change. Im constantly reading posts on not enough minorities here or we need affirmative action their. Things will never be close to being even, because the pool to pull talent from certain segments of the population is so small. Unless their is some type of "cultural
shift", the playing field/gap/median income will continue to decrease except for the very few. The future is quite bleak!
I'm a white woman and no one ever cuts us any slack. Your grammar and writing skills are terrible so I don't know what you are expecting to get out of this thread. Are you expecting to get what you put in? You obviously put in very little (based on writing style and spelling) so you should get very little back.

If you put a black man up against a white woman, who would get the job? Based on my experience, probably the black man.

Is there a point to this thread?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm a white woman and no one ever cuts us any slack. Your grammar and writing skills are terrible so I don't know what you are expecting to get out of this thread. Are you expecting to get what you put in? You obviously put in very little (based on writing style and spelling) so you should get very little back.

If you put a black man up against a white woman, who would get the job? Based on my experience, probably the black man.

Is there a point to this thread?
Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder,Im sorry you were born the wrong sex.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,437 times
Question What are you trying to convey?

Quote:
All of these threads on diversity, predjudice, affirmative action, playing the race card, diversity training ,all of this is very non productive when you have cultural pressure not to suceed, these programs are suppose to assist but in order for them to ever work, you have to start by looking at the dysfunctional rotting culture that is prevalent today, their truly is no hope for some young men unless things change. Im constantly reading posts on not enough minorities here or we need affirmative action their. Things will never be close to being even, because the pool to pull talent from certain segments of the population is so small. Unless their is some type of "cultural
I'm not too sure as to what you're trying to convey by reading and re-reading your post.

Could you be a bit more clearer?!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder,Im sorry you were born the wrong sex.
I DO have a big chip and I'm sorry too that I wasn't born a white man -- but what can I do about that? Even being better than you, I still can't get the jobs you get -- so what is your point?

Are you trying to point out that you are only marginal yet you've risen to the top? You've certainly shown me that you are only marginal -- whether or not you have risen to the top remains to be seen.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I DO have a big chip and I'm sorry too that I wasn't born a white man -- but what can I do about that? Even being better than you, I still can't get the jobs you get -- so what is your point?

Are you trying to point out that you are only marginal yet you've risen to the top? You've certainly shown me that you are only marginal -- whether or not you have risen to the top remains to be seen.
Being marginal with common sense Ill take anyday, I know of PHD's who can't find a job because they went into the wrong field, spelling dose'nt bring in the money.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I'm not too sure as to what you're trying to convey by reading and re-reading your post.

Could you be a bit more clearer?!
Judging from your posts you know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,437 times
Quote:
Judging from your posts you know exactly what I am talking about.

Sorry, i don't for i am clueless as to what you're saying!?!

Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Being marginal with common sense Ill take anyday, I know of PHD's who can't find a job because they went into the wrong field, spelling dose'nt bring in the money.
There are some white men who post here with perfect spelling and grammar and I know they couldn't make it to the top either.

Most companies, it's who you know not what you know.

Spelling counts because once the secretary thinks you are dead weight, you are dead weight. This is an unwritten rule but it is totally true. If you can't get respect from your secretary, you are sunk! Secretaries will only fix so much. One day when the secretary is out sick, the substitute will give you a letter to sign with all your misspellings and you'll sign it and everyone will know you are a nitwit.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,590,724 times
I for one have never been sorry to be female and white. Nevertheless, it is paramount to become well educated, speak with good grammar, know how to spell and incorporate a work ethic and good manners into your repertoire. Because of these "skills" I have made it to the proverbial top, make an incredible salary and am considered successful. Believe me, from my vantage point, and in my little world there is ALOT of dead weight in my organization. Many are those who are untrained and untrainable, lacking in basic propriety and work skills, i.e. just plain lazy. They ARE being weeded out slowly but surely.

Don't ever underestimate the importance of the three Rs! And believe me, those with PhDs and currently without a job, will have much greater opportunity for a position than the one without the education. Yes, many times it IS who you know AS WELL AS what you know, not one without the other. WHO you know is just a little bonus, and is a reality in the workplace. So, the idea is not to sulk and whine about it, but get your butt out there and meet the people you need to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.