Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,116 times

Advertisements

Our country is only as well off as the least fortunate. It isn't necessarily an "obligation" to give, that connotes that someone is making you give, but giving/helping where it is needed is positive for both the giver and the receiver. We certainly can use as much positive energy in the world as we can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Repub. might give more than democrats because they have more money to give. Also, how could this really be kept track of? Statistically speaking.And, Christian conservatives can raise alot of money through their "flock" so it might be fairly easier to give more. Whatever--if you are fortunate enough to have alot, why not give??

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
They do the same thing in my Church every sunday, but it's still my choice.

non-issue.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
I have read through this thread waiting for someone to object to being forced to give to the rich through your taxes. Because you ARE being forced to give much more to the rich than you are to the poor and I find it fascinating that people don't seem to object to that. Is it that, sub-consciously, many people are still caught in a serf/master frame of mind and assume that, as a serf, they should of COURSE give of their goods to the master?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have read through this thread waiting for someone to object to being forced to give to the rich through your taxes. Because you ARE being forced to give much more to the rich than you are to the poor and I find it fascinating that people don't seem to object to that. Is it that, sub-consciously, many people are still caught in a serf/master frame of mind and assume that, as a serf, they should of COURSE give of their goods to the master?
Can you please explain how you believe we are being forced to give to the rich?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:53 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Obama said in an ad last night that parents should read to their children. How is he going to FORCE US to read to our children:

1. By shutting off all tv broadcasting between 7-8pm
2. By mandating that all children own a local government issued library card
3. By forcing parents into mandatory "fairytale character voice acting" education programs
4. ____________?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,127 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML

Posted by mbmouse
Can you please explain how you believe we are being forced to give to the rich?
Because tax breaks are being given to the rich and to big businesses. Who's paying to bail out Wall Street? The middle class - not the wealthy or the big businesses. That's not voluntary. I'm being forced to pay for this.

You know, I don't have kids, but still I'm FORCED to pay school taxes. People who don't drive have a portion of their taxes go to fixing roads. Its the same thing.

It amazes me that the people who are whining the most about Obama's tax plan are people who would benefit from it. We're hearing from a lot of wealthy people (Warren Buffet and the like) who whole-heartedly support Obama. They're the ones who would be paying higher taxes. And McCain wants to tax your health insurance. That's the lowest of the low in my book.

Last edited by Ellie C.; 10-26-2008 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I think Obama is basing that statement on the Bible. We do have an obligation to help others in need.
Then why won't Obama pay his fair share in taxes to support Chicago's inner-city public schools? Instead, he derides 'white' suburban taxpayers who are already paying taxes to support their school districts AND Chicago's schools, and have been for decades.

So much for Obama's belief that we have an obligation to help others in need - according to Obama, that obligation applies to 'white' suburban taxpayers, not Obama himself. Obama has done NOTHING to ensure that owners of Chicago's pricey real estate pay their fair share in taxes to support Chicago's schools. Obama would rather continue to be subsidized by those 'white' suburban taxpayers he vilified, who own homes of the same value as Obama's. Obama would rather keep his tax break, so that 'white' suburban taxpayers pay more.
//www.city-data.com/forum/5857816-post13.html

Please note - OBAMA is the one who deliberately made the school funding issue about race, without bothering to learn the actual fact that suburban taxpayers are already funding their own school districts PLUS 30% of Chicago's school district.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 AM

532 posts, read 908,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I honestly think it is because everyone thinks that they will be rich someday and they don't want to have to pay more taxes then. Of course, that's ridiculous because the great majority of us will never even come close to making $250,000/year. Remember, we're talking annual income, not wealth. I can see possibly owning a house worth more than that someday, but I know I'll never come close to making $250,000/year unless I am blessed by some great luck.
I think there's a misconception that with enough hard work, anyone can be a millionaire. That's simply not true. A lot of your path in life is determined by forces you do not control.
So I think a lot of people think of the rich as those who worked the hardest and made it to the top. I just don't think that is true. I mean, look at these hedge fund managers- is their job really harder work than say, a construction worker? Or are they just able to manipulate the numbers to their advantage? Or did they just happen to make the right investment at the right time? How many others failed for no reason other than dumb luck?
I think there's this idea among us that you shouldn't be taxed more just because you succeeded.
But practically speaking, if you have to pay
10% of $5,000 = $500
that makes a big difference in your ability to feed yourself.
Whereas if you have to pay
10% of $50,000 = $5,000
it doesn't have too much impact on your life. Maybe you have to live in an apartment that is $1000/month rather than $1200/month. You aren't starving or anything.
And if you have to pay
10% of $500,000 = $50,000
you can't buy that third BMW this year, but you are living better than 99% of the world and there isn't much you can't have.
So it just seems reasonable to me that the rich pay more. I sincerely don't mind paying taxes if the $ is going to something like health care. I do mind that my $ is going to pay for the war in Iraq. I'd much rather help poor Americans than kill poor Iraqis.

Obama '08

Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
americans will not continue the practice of giving if the government continues it's practice of taking. this isn't an obama thing. democrats and republicans are equally guilty.
This is probably the first time I have agreed with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Repub. might give more than democrats because they have more money to give. Also, how could this really be kept track of? Statistically speaking.And, Christian conservatives can raise alot of money through their "flock" so it might be fairly easier to give more. Whatever--if you are fortunate enough to have alot, why not give??
Also, some of these Fundamentalist Christian churches raise the money to proseltyze, not to help the needly. Some, not all, but I have some experience with FC's due to my work. Many are most interested in furthering the objectives of their church, and any help to someone is incidental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies