Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:09 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Yeah, right. As a woman, that has NEVER happened to me. How bout you other women?!
LOL... don't know how often I've wanted to say "the eyes are up HERE, not in my blouse"!

I agree with the others (regarding HappilyandMarried's post), that guy was probably just a jerk, regardless of his orientation. A gay man/woman is no more likely to hit on you, and it's not like they're attracted to everyone of the same sex... so unless you're absolutely gorgeous, I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
i dont think they are hated, I think the behavior is deemed unacceptable and deviant but i dont think the people themselves are hated in this culture.

It hasnt been proven as biological or social, actually and documentation in the animal world doesnt prove that it is normal or biological--there are many abberations in species.

so I dont think you are hated, no.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:26 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
I don't much care if I'm hated, but thank you so much for not hating me for something that has nothing to do with you. I'm honored. The biology of it is proven because it's something that I've always been, and I'm the only who can possibly know that. Do you people think that every gay man and lesbian is LYING about it? Why would you question the integrity of so many people? There is no question regarding nature/nurture in the mind of someone who is gay, but questions come from people who don't experience it and can't know the answer...but they won't believe the ones who truly know! It's really a silly and frustrating issue that frankly most of us are tired of.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
well the original poster started the thread and I think he said he was homosexual. So, the issue was brought up by him, but as all the topic people seem to pipe in about, even if it isnt about them, this issue people have an opinion about.

some people who are not black were given their negative opinions about the rebel flag. it seems to me that only the blacks in the south and the white supporters of the flag are the only two groups that this issue affects but there are people of all stripes piping in about that. So, I guess the topic is up for everyones opinion. And sure i think people are lying about being born that way, just like people claim and lie that they are not racist but only date their own race or live in segregated areas when they dont have to.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 PM

196 posts, read 768,046 times
Smile Gays

I don't hate you or any person based on color, religion or their sexual preference- actually I'm an old hippie I love and always will.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:26 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
When I lived in San Francisco, I got the feeling that some people who were gay weren't happy with just living in peace and being left alone...they wanted a round of applause or something.

I'm off beat and not like most people in many ways...just not that way. If people expect approbation for doing their own thing, and living their own way, they may have to wait a long time.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:48 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times
Gay people tend to be way too sensitive about this issue. I dont see why its such an issue about what people who dont like gay people think. The fact the matter is that gay people are becoming more accepted by the year and rightfully so.

I have noticed that it seems like every election when they have gay marriage bans it seems like the margin of victory decreases every year. Look at Sioux Falls, South Dakota a gay marriage ban barely passed in Sioux Falls proper, it did in South Dakota but not by a margin alot of people thought. Arizona also voted against the gay marriage ban.

I think the gay and lesbian population needs to look back at the slow, steady process of acceptance that has taken hold and not worry about people who are against gay rights who are steadily losing the "culture-war" they have been fighting.

I do think in a few decades alot of these gay marriage bans will be appealed and loving couples of the same gender will have the same special rights afforded to male/female couples.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 28,029 times
[quote=UTSASTUD;377874] It's purely biological, and those that are gay did not choose to be that way. Homosexuality is fully documented within the animal kingdom.
QUOTE]

Animals also in many cases eat their offspring, Kill each other, Kill people, Leave other sick animals to die, Commit rape, incest and basically live life to pursue and satisfy their most basic of urges. Given your comparison I could not agree more with you.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Well generally it's only the ugly trolls who behave that way. Just hang around the best looking gay guys and you'll never have a problem. Oh and you'll always have plenty of girls to associate with too! Other than the gay jerks who like to call zoning, I am all for homosexuality. They don't breed and die before the rest of us. If the world had more homosexuals all our population problems would be solved.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Gay people tend to be way too sensitive about this issue. I dont see why its such an issue about what people who dont like gay people think. The fact the matter is that gay people are becoming more accepted by the year and rightfully so.
I truly wish I could have your point of view on this issue, but I just can't. I'm the type of person who, for lack of a better term, "panders." I just can't stand the thought that people out there may hate me, even if it's through no fault of my own. I'm a born altruist, optimist, and idealist, and I just can't fathom why someone could be so cold-hearted to literally hate someone based upon something as superficial as who he/she happens to be in a relationship with. I refuse to just accept the fact that some people are going to "have a problem with me" just because they can't keep comments to themselves. This is the 21st Century, is it not? Haven't we risen above the level of ridiculing others for their differences?

Quote:
I have noticed that it seems like every election when they have gay marriage bans it seems like the margin of victory decreases every year. Look at Sioux Falls, South Dakota a gay marriage ban barely passed in Sioux Falls proper, it did in South Dakota but not by a margin alot of people thought. Arizona also voted against the gay marriage ban.
I truly wish this was indicative of the nation as a whole, but I can guarantee you that if the issue of a same-sex marriage ban came onto the PA ballot, it would most certainly pass by a comfortable margin. Behind New Hampshire, we're probably the most Conservative Northeastern state by a long shot.

Quote:
I think the gay and lesbian population needs to look back at the slow, steady process of acceptance that has taken hold and not worry about people who are against gay rights who are steadily losing the "culture-war" they have been fighting.
I concur. As a gay person who is not the stereotypical "we're here; we're *****; get used to it" type, I'm a bit disgusted to see so many of my counterparts acting as kamikaze vigilantes to force civil equality upon America. This isn't Europe by any means. People in the United States quite honestly aren't as intelligent as Europeans are in regards to not judging people based upon race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. but rather on the basis of what they can contribute towards their communities. "Baby steps" are needed until Americans become more well-educated to the fact that diversity in others isn't necessarily a "threat to their quality-of-life."

Quote:
I do think in a few decades alot of these gay marriage bans will be appealed and loving couples of the same gender will have the same special rights afforded to male/female couples.
I appreciate your optimism, but even in this case, I have my reservations. I just don't see Americans, as a whole, "opening up" to the idea that not all gay people are out to molest their children or give them AIDS through handshakes. Perhaps growing up in a very Conservative community has clouded my concept of "reality", but from what I've experienced growing up, a lot of America still isn't ready to view me as an "equal." It would be nice to just slap some sense into people, but, as I said earlier, this isn't Europe. (Or Canada for that matter, where even gay military weddings are recognized!) America is what it is---behind the times on tolerance and acceptance of diversity, and that's something I'm ashamed of. For all of the wonderful qualities our nation can boast about, America's inability to co-exist peacefully with people who hail from different backgrounds is not among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies