Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

I never thought I was the only person who thought it a little surreal that hundreds or thousands of people live short, brutish lives and die, sometimes still in childhood of various complications of poverty while some individuals on this earth have net worths in the many dozens of Billions of dollars. I can't be the only person who appears on the outside to be living an average middle class existence but does not have medical or dental insurance. Why can I buy a perfectly serviceable automobile for $800 but an advanced bicycle (human powered vehicle) costs $7,000? My GF is blind and the braille display that allows her to read this forum cost $10,000 ten years ago and she nurses it along to this day because she cannot (we cannot) even think about getting a new one. What kind of plasma screen TV do you think you could get for $10K? But here is my point: this weekend we were watching Star Trek: First Contact. There is a scene where a 21st Century woman is taken aboard Capt. Picard's 24th Century Enterprise E. She manages to ask "how much does this thing cost?" Picard tells her that in the 24th Century there isn't any money! I've said this very thing for years and suffered considerable ridicule by family and friends. I'm not a Trekkie or I would have known that the concept wasn't that far fetched, or maybe it is since it only showed up in a sci-fi movie but what about it?? Could such a thing fly? How would we even begin to turn from the various economic constructs in the world all based on money? Anyone else think that humanity's only chance is a complete revamp of wealth distribution or by extension the complete elimination of the concept of personal or family 'wealth'?

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I never thought I was the only person who thought it a little surreal that hundreds or thousands of people live short, brutish lives and die, sometimes still in childhood of various complications of poverty while some individuals on this earth have net worths in the many dozens of Billions of dollars. I can't be the only person who appears on the outside to be living an average middle class existence but does not have medical or dental insurance. Why can I buy a perfectly serviceable automobile for $800 but an advanced bicycle (human powered vehicle) costs $7,000? My GF is blind and the braille display that allows her to read this forum cost $10,000 ten years ago and she nurses it along to this day because she cannot (we cannot) even think about getting a new one. What kind of plasma screen TV do you think you could get for $10K? But here is my point: this weekend we were watching Star Trek: First Contact. There is a scene where a 21st Century woman is taken aboard Capt. Picard's 24th Century Enterprise E. She manages to ask "how much does this thing cost?" Picard tells her that in the 24th Century there isn't any money! I've said this very thing for years and suffered considerable ridicule by family and friends. I'm not a Trekkie or I would have known that the concept wasn't that far fetched, or maybe it is since it only showed up in a sci-fi movie but what about it?? Could such a thing fly? How would we even begin to turn from the various economic constructs in the world all based on money? Anyone else think that humanity's only chance is a complete revamp of wealth distribution or by extension the complete elimination of the concept of personal or family 'wealth'?

H
Ugh, I take it your voting for Obama?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
That's not a world without money, it's just a world where my hard earned money goes to someone who sits around eating bon bons all day.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Not the kind of responses I envisaged. Cryptic and crypticer. Obama isn't even close to what I am imagining (but he'll do for a start). Have either of you ever been ripped off? Ever paid for something and didn't get it? Were you ok with that? Anyone you know ever had cancer? 90% of cancer is man-made. A result of unchecked industralization because money was used to silence those who might have raised an alarm. Disease and starvation are slow, painful, awful ways to die. Better that millions of people had never been born but birth control is a dirty word in most cultures. The cutting edge birth control methods are barrier sytems. Without profit margins, pharmaceutical companies could cure a raft of problems for people now living and also slow the birthrate to something manageable. Ugh, disgusting to actually want this wonderful run of greed, waste and destruction to end.

H

Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
That's not a world without money, it's just a world where my hard earned money goes to someone who sits around eating bon bons all day.
As soon as Obama wins this thing, I'm taking the next four years off, hopefully eight.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Liesesturm, try not to be impatient with the responses. Your OP itself was a little cryptic; I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to determine in your question.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:29 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
In a local restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political preference—just imagine the coincidence. When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need—the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight. I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was grateful. At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even though the actual recipient needed money more. I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Well I had to read your post twice but I think I get the gist of it.

It is a question that I have myself pondered a time or two and the only think I can come up with is that people are simply not socially advanced enough to live in a world where there is no immediate reward system.

Man is the missing link between the primitive savage and the civilized being and one only has to look around this forum or their day to day world to see this. Man is on one hand amazingly charitable and at the same time, brutally savage.

A society that was advanced enough to provide for all food and shelter of a population who then would be free to pursue art, intellectual endeavors, or trades, or whatever of their choice is something far beyond humans today.

Man as he is today, even given all those things would coddle what he has and pine for what he does not. Things like greed and the acquisition of wealth and possessions are part of our genetic predetermination. How many Buddhist monks are there in the world or ascetics?

Nice thought and maybe someday, many many hundreds of years in the future if we survive our own ignorance.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Soylent green is people!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:52 AM

225 posts, read 342,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I had to read your post twice but I think I get the gist of it.

It is a question that I have myself pondered a time or two and the only think I can come up with is that people are simply not socially advanced enough to live in a world where there is no immediate reward system.

Man is the missing link between the primitive savage and the civilized being and one only has to look around this forum or their day to day world to see this. Man is on one hand amazingly charitable and at the same time, brutally savage.

A society that was advanced enough to provide for all food and shelter of a population who then would be free to pursue art, intellectual endeavors, or trades, or whatever of their choice is something far beyond humans today.

Man as he is today, even given all those things would coddle what he has and pine for what he does not. Things like greed and the acquisition of wealth and possessions are part of our genetic predetermination. How many Buddhist monks are there in the world or ascetics?

Nice thought and maybe someday, many many hundreds of years in the future if we survive our own ignorance.
I would add to this that as long as there is scarcity, there will need to be some medium of exchange to control the distribution of wealth - food, water, fuel, everything. In a magical Star Trek future they have overcome scarcity and presumably the almost natural human inclination for greed and so money is no longer needed as a moderator. Boy, conservatives will be unhappy with no one to lord it over and blame for how the world is going to hell in a handbasket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies