Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,491 times

Advertisements

Hey Swagger, you know why I repped up? Because your calling the UK! Go on, call away.

Someone please get me to Australia, I wanna leave this sad country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Tragic. Tragic. My heart and prayers go out to the family of this little boy.

But, it was an accident - Accidents happen. They happen all them time - such as the parent who leaves their child in a hot car and the child dies (actually all to common here in the Southwest). Or, the accident that happened this past weekend in Phoenix - where a parent accident backed over their 18 month old, with their car. Using the attitude of some, we should now outlaw automobiles.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
OMG, why on Earth would an eight year old need to try to shoot an uzi?
My next door neighbors aren't exactly pillars of society... They're doing a very questionable job of raising their many children.

One of them, who's about eleven or twelve, routinely leaves the house, gets in their minivan and starts it up. Sometimes he just revs the engine and then shuts it off, and sometimes he actually drives the car around the block.

Eleven or twelve.

I don't know about you, but I'd feel much safer around an eight year old holding a gun at a firearms expo held at a sportsman's club than I do standing on the sidewalk outside my house when this kid starts his parents' car. Ask yourself honestly - in which situation do you find the most potential for harm?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
The "range instructor" in this case needs to be horsewhipped. How could ANYONE allow an inexperienced person to handle a weapon such as this. (the report I heard said it was an UZI). My son is 12. I have had him under instruction with firearms since he was old enough to walk. I did not let him handle a live weapon until I was POSITIVE his physical stature could control it and even then I almost sat on him while he fired. He is now an accomplished shooter but I ALWAYS stand behind him and act as range officer keeping alert for safety issues, malfunctions etc. Someone dropped the ball big time here and now a child is dead. Firearms are weapons, their purpose is to launch a projectile at insane velocities at a target. Whoever placed this weapon in this kids hands and turned his back is a blithering idiot. And the father is no less culpible for placing his son in the charge of someone who could only have come across as an idiot. I have been involved in the shooting sports and have been training and competing since I was the same age as my son and this story ranks with the absolute worst I have heard. This makes me sick inside.....

Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
What a terrible accident.

Could have happened with a bow and arrow. He could have been accidentally hit in his own driveway as his father backed out the car. He could have drowned in the family pool. He could have died from botulism from a can of peaches.

Terrible things happen, and this is one of them.

Nothing wrong with bringing a kid to a gun show.

Kids brought up around weapons learn to respect them and learn what they're capable of.

This was not frivolous or horseplay. The kid hadn't been goofing around with the gun. It was a terrible accident.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:48 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My next door neighbors aren't exactly pillars of society... They're doing a very questionable job of raising their many children.

One of them, who's about eleven or twelve, routinely leaves the house, gets in their minivan and starts it up. Sometimes he just revs the engine and then shuts it off, and sometimes he actually drives the car around the block.

Eleven or twelve.

I don't know about you, but I'd feel much safer around an eight year old holding a gun at a firearms expo held at a sportsman's club than I do standing on the sidewalk outside my house when this kid starts his parents' car. Ask yourself honestly - in which situation do you find the most potential for harm?
I am not sure what your point is?

I certainly wouldn't feel safe out on the sidewalk w/an 11 year old driving mom's minivan.

But being at a gun expo where 8 y/o are allowed to hold and shoot uzis? Not too sure about that situation either. For one, I've never been to a gun expo, so I don't know how close i might be standing to said 8 y/o.

It's seems to me that the parent didn't have his hands on the gun (if that is even possible, I don't know) while the kid was holding it/attempting to shoot it, or else they would have been able to control it.

My kid is 7, and though he has had no experience with guns, I can't see that I would let him hold or shoot a machine gun after next April when he turns 8.

I'd really have to talk to my dad about this to formulate more of an opinion. He hunts and knows about guns. He also happens to live in Westfield. I don't know that he's ever been to the club where the incident occurred.

All I know is if that kind of gun has that kind of kickback, a person w/out the strength to handle it has no business holding it, and I mean man woman or child. If you cannot control it, don't pick it up. He could have shot someone else, instead of himself.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
....., kids should be allowed to stalk the streets looking to pop each other and whoever else they might come across.
They already do in our urban areas. No need to give them an official holiday for it.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
......Someone please get me to Australia, I wanna leave this sad country.
Can't you do it on your own? Somebody actually has to do it for you?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Eleven or twelve.

My goodness! You see an eleven year old driving and you fail to call the police? That's odd.

In which situation do I find the most potential for harm? Letting an 8 year old fire an Uzi...how many rounds does it fire how fast????
Did you not read the results?

I child is not legally allowed to drive until they're 15 or 16...don't you think that should apply to shooting deadly weapons???

I bet that Dad is really glad nobody "took that gun away" from his kid. Ya, let's all have UZIs laying around for the kids to tinker with. Oh, and they're very important for hunting "skill"

Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
People take risks with their kids all the time and you just want to be able to slap them or punch them and say " Wise up!" Anytime I see a parent with a child on his lap on a riding mower I want to stop the car and yell at them. Parents buy their kids ATVs when they're 8, cars when they're 16, and thats risky. You see kids out in the street after dark, and wonder where their idiot parents are. Swimming pools are dangerous. Pit bulls.
This was just crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies