Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder View Post
Because I work in IT, my job is a PRIME target for outsourcing. The only candidate that has bothered to even mention any plans to discourage outsourcing has been Obama. At best, his words have seemed hesitant and half-hearted, but it certainly beats not planning to do anything whatsoever about outsourcing. My beliefs and values land somewhere smack dab in the middle of the two candidates. As a Christian, I tend to struggle to with a long list stances that the Democratic Party stands for, abortion being foremost. At the same time, the Republican Party's overwhelming tendency to look out for the interests of the wealthy and prosperous, and their general inaction to deal with America's health care crisis certainly don't line up with my values very well either. I've struggled to decide who I will vote for. Since I can't have a candidate who stands for everything I think they should, I have to choose between what is there. For me, Outsourcing has become the deciding issue. It is just plain irresponsible economics. The more you outsource, the more you whittle away the middle class. The money spent by American consumers increasingly ends up overseas, predominantly in nations that are unwilling and/or unable to return the favor. So as other nations boom, the US economy will diminish. Outsourcing is a great big Fast Forward button to a world where the United States of America is no longer the greatest nation on Earth. Not the greatest, nor the second greatest nor the third. Outsourcing gains nothing for America and loses everything, but it is doomed to continue until somebody takes action. If one company can gain a significant competitive edge in their respective market by outsourcing some or all of their workforce, then all of their competitors are forced to follow suit in order to survive. Shame on the first company that began it, but unfortunately the ball was already rolling long ago. Obama had not promised enough on the matter, but at least he has promised to do something. As far as I am aware, McCain has never mentioned any plans on the matter at all. Unless I hear something concrete coming from the McCain camp, Obama has my vote.
McCain has mentioned his plans and they are to continue the same path as Bush. He has said many times he is a “free trader” and wants to increase free trade. His economic advisor Carly Fiorina, former HP head says “there is no job that should be considered an American job”. These are the people that he gets his ideas from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman08 View Post
With the election just a few days away. Is there any hope that whoever gets elected will bring jobs back to the United States that have already been outsourced?
I would wonder if Volkswagen will go ahead and open its plant in Tennessee. You know, outsourcing and all that.

VW discusses New Midsize Sedan to be built in Chattanooga

Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
With the election just a few days away. Is there any hope that whoever gets elected will bring jobs back to the United States that have already been outsourced?

I gotta give this one to Obama - he has a plan!

Obama Promises To Stop America's ****ty Jobs From Going Overseas | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
under McCain, passably, depends on what he does with cooperate taxes. Obama? Hell no, he has already said he wants to raise cooperate taxes.
McCain has stated numerous times he is for expanding the NAFTA.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Focus our efforts into keeping jobs here, instead of training.

I had watched a tv show about outsourcing a few months ago.

My god the citys that were developed in other countries were all done with our money.

Wouldnt it be nice to see those dollars come back here?

Stop giving tax breaks to companys who outsource.

INVEST IN AMERICA.
You took the words out of my mouth. What a shame that all that wealth generated by Americans has gone overseas to build these cities. Someday we will regret this stupidity all in the name of next quarter's financial statements and wall street. Ross Perot was right back in 1992 - 'that great sucking sound is American jobs going overseas'.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
There are so many good and rational points in this thread. Good job on a very intelligent discourse here. Offshoring policies are rampant in the employer of one half of our household. So the policies of these corps really affect us in a big way. I understand the necessity of competing in a global marketplace and the necessity of the corps to set up shop in these countries in order to be able to sell their products there, but the stupidity in the name of saving money is unbelievable.

The corps are sold a bill of goods to these offshoring providers, and they get subpar workers - the degrees are not "apples to apples" and their work has to be redone by the american workers so where is the savings in that? Looks good on paper to the CEOs and the stock flippers though. And that is all that seems to matter. The continuing degrading quality of the product is all end-purchasers get. The corps do not pass on the savings.

I blame the politicians dependence on big polical contributions and special interest groups for allowing this mess.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Looking good on paper is all that matters. Basic economic problems like creating actual wealth by growing, mining or manufacturing it are completely ignored as long as it "looks good on paper". This will be our economic doom along as a few other things like speculation, inflation and unecessary wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies