Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
What a shame to compare a POW to a loser like Obama. Shame.
OHHH well that makes sense - because McCain was a POW, that makes him a winner????
NO. that makes him UNLUCKY. Unlucky that his plane got shot down. Unlucky that he got caught. And I feel bad that that happened to him, as I would for anyone. But it does NOT automatically make him a fantastic person. And it SURE as hell does not make him a fantastic candidate. Or even a passable one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
OHHH well that makes sense - because McCain was a POW, that makes him a winner????
NO. that makes him UNLUCKY. Unlucky that his plane got shot down. Unlucky that he got caught. And I feel bad that that happened to him, as I would for anyone. But it does NOT automatically make him a fantastic person. And it SURE as hell does not make him a fantastic candidate. Or even a passable one.
LOL!! I was talking to an old guy a couple of months ago who actually went to the naval academy with McCain. He said that McCain scrapped 3 planes & his "monied" daddy who was some high-up there kept it all hush-hush....

Interesting story. I wasn't there, so I don't know if it was true, but it wouldn't surprise me...

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Yes, I live in Manhattan.
Yes, I have two bedrooms and I do not live in "granny's apartment" but thanks for being condescending.
No, I don't have a car - it's not necessary to have one in NY.

Now let me be clear - i absolutely do NOT make $250,000 a year. My husband and I make much less than half of that. We dont have much wiggle room, but we do fine.

Now We have friends who make about $175,000 and they live in a high-rise in midtown, own a car, live extremely comfortably and set aside plenty for their future. No kids, but they easily could.

I dunno what your lifestyle is like - maybe it's more luxurious than a lot of people here. Maybe that's why, for you, $250,000 is "doing ok."

I am going to assume because you did not list it that you do NOT have children. Let me be 100% clear here and I speak because I have two. Chirledn are VERY, VERY expensive. They increase the amount of food you by, clothes you buy, what you pay for healthcare. So not direspect intened but come back when you have two kids on top of everything else you need to pay and tell me that $250,000 is rich.

I really mean no disrespect but you and your husband living in NYC, without kids and without a car does NOT equate to my family living in NJ, with two cars (because we need them), two kids, the highest property taxes in the country, the highest car insurance trust me $250,000 is NOT rich. Comfortable yes, rich no.

This is just some of what I pay out a year, a small part.
I pay over $12,000 a year just on property tax, about $2500 a year for car insurance, about $600 per year for home owners insurance, another $1200 for life insurance, then add in food, healthcare, utilities, school stuff for the kids, clothes for the kids, etc. we are able to pay our bills but are not rich.

So again with all due respect you really do not understand what a family of more then 2 pays.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I am going to assume because you did not list it that you do NOT have children. Let me be 100% clear here and I speak because I have two. Chirledn are VERY, VERY expensive. They increase the amount of food you by, clothes you buy, what you pay for healthcare. So not direspect intened but come back when you have two kids on top of everything else you need to pay and tell me that $250,000 is rich.

I really mean no disrespect but you and your husband living in NYC, without kids and without a car does NOT equate to my family living in NJ, with two cars (because we need them), two kids, the highest property taxes in the country, the highest car insurance trust me $250,000 is NOT rich. Comfortable yes, rich no.

I pay over $12,000 a year just on property tax, about $2500 a year for car insurance, about $600 per year for home owners insurance, another $1200 for life insurance, then add in food, healthcare, utilities, school stuff for the kids, clothes for the kids, etc. we are able to pay our bills but are not rich.

So again with all due respect you really do not understand what a family of more then 2 pays.
You are definitely paying for the privilege of living in New Jersey.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You are definitely paying for the privilege of living in New Jersey.

Oh yeah such a great privilege.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post

Stop your whining... if you can't afford to have children, then just don't have them. Do you think that I enjoy paying higher property taxes to support the public schools your children go to, but I will never use because I don't have kids?

Having kids is not a right, it's a privilege.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I care when he claims to support Joe the Plumber. That's a lie. His policies will take care of his friends and peers- the millionaires. The Obamas came from nothing and have earned their money through hard work. They are much more middle class (albeit upper middle class) than McCain. I think they will remember their roots and work for the middle class.

If they remember their roots, that's great. That means BHO will be sending some money to his auntie in Boston and his brother in Kenya, right?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Stop your whining... if you can't afford to have children, then just don't have them. Do you think that I enjoy paying higher property taxes to support the public schools your children go to, but I will never use because I don't have kids?

Having kids is not a right, it's a privilege.

LOL such stupidity. The point I was making since you so obviously missed it was that you can not compare a couples expenses to that of a family with children you moron.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Yes, I live in Manhattan.
Yes, I have two bedrooms and I do not live in "granny's apartment" but thanks for being condescending.
No, I don't have a car - it's not necessary to have one in NY.

Now let me be clear - i absolutely do NOT make $250,000 a year. My husband and I make much less than half of that. We dont have much wiggle room, but we do fine.

Now We have friends who make about $175,000 and they live in a high-rise in midtown, own a car, live extremely comfortably and set aside plenty for their future. No kids, but they easily could.

I dunno what your lifestyle is like - maybe it's more luxurious than a lot of people here. Maybe that's why, for you, $250,000 is "doing ok."
My apologies, I misunderstood.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies