Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

What really irks the hell out of me is how people come to the United States from a foreign country and immediately adopt the position that "it's o.k." they are here from another country, but then turn to black Americans and look at them as if they don't have a right to be in the United States and that the best place for black Americans would be to "return" to Africa.

This takes a hell of a lot of hubris to come from an immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What really irks the hell out of me is how people come to the United States from a foreign country and immediately adopt the position that "it's o.k." they are here from another country, but then turn to black Americans and look at them as if they don't have a right to be in the United States and that the best place for black Americans would be to "return" to Africa.

This takes a hell of a lot of hubris to come from an immigrant.
I'd say the most racist people I know are 1st or 2nd generation Americans from South & Central America, Mexico and East Asia.

But it's not that they come here and adopt American racist tendencies... they BRING racist tendencies because they are in every country. Women in Vietnam for instance, cover their faces from the sun because they can't bear to get any darker (and lower perceived status).

Old 10-31-2008, 01:31 PM

488 posts, read 819,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'd say the most racist people I know are 1st or 2nd generation Americans from South & Central America, Mexico and East Asia.

But it's not that they come here and adopt American racist tendencies... they BRING racist tendencies because they are in every country. Women in Vietnam for instance, cover their faces from the sun because they can't bear to get any darker (and lower perceived status).
I beg to differ. If they bring racist tendencies, it's because they've acquired them from the US media. These people have little to no first hand exposure to African Americans prior to immigrating, and their perceptions come mainly from what they read and see on tv and in movies, which tend to play into stereotypes held by American editors, writers, directors, studio execs, journalists, etc.

I haven't heard of Hispanics or Asians enslaving or lynching anyone lately.

Last edited by mark85; 10-31-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

Very true. There's an entire industry of skin lightening products geared toward Asian women.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
I beg to differ. If they bring racist tendencies, it's because they've acquired them from the US media. These people have little to no first hand exposure to African Americans prior to immigrating, and their perceptions come mainly from what they read and see on tv and in movies, which tend to play into stereotypes held by American editors, writers, directors, studio execs, journalists, etc.
Yes and as long as there has been the USA exporting stereotypical information about black America, either thru the entertainment media or by propaganda spread over the years in advertising, the brainwashing has been done.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Very true. There's an entire industry of skin lightening products geared toward Asian women.
Well, this could simply be an aesthetic preference, though it probably does have a racial element. The same brainwashing has occurred in hispanics and blacks (lighter skin = more beautiful) and this is just a result of colonialism, the US media, internalized racism or self-hate and the fact that the west has been wealthier, so it's people are looked up to.

If you go to practically any non-white country, most of the ads and billboards feature caucasian models or actors.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:

Don't blame just the US media for those images. Although don't leave out National Geographic's beautiful photos of the African tribes. But the Europeans are the ones that colonized Africa, not the Americans. The Americans only bought the slaves. And more than a few European childrens books have images of primitive African tribesman and they have those golliwog dolls. The classic and collectible childrens book Little Black Sambo was written by a Scottish woman who lived in India. The French comic strip Tin Tin also portrayed African primitives. But had it not been for those European colonies, those African countries would have still been living in primitive conditions, without electricity, modern medicine and machinery.

Then there was Josephine Baker, an African American who went to Paris... "For many people, Josephine Baker's name will always evoke a familiar, controversial image: the "black Venus" naked onstage, except for a string of bananas around her waist, dancing to African drums"...

Asians in their home countries do not respect those with dark skin colours, because it comes from being an unskilled uneducated laborer in the fields exposed to the sun. And that dislike is not because of the US or European influence. Historically, Asians and Africans never crossed paths. There were no African travellers or explorers visiting those countries. Seeing someone with such dark skin for the first time would be viewed as an oddity, like a space alien. And unless that African was from the Pygmy tribe, most likely that person would be much taller and more muscular than any Asian they encountered (except a Sumo wrestler).

Otherwise, those Asian countries weren't that thrilled with their first encounters with Europeans/white people either. The Chinese nickname for them meant white devil/ghost. But over time, they were impressed with the Europeans for their guns, cannons and a mastery of sciences and engineering. And yes, most Asian men are not happy seeing interracial couples of white men and Asian women.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Don't blame just the US media for those images. Although don't leave out National Geographic's beautiful photos of the African tribes. But the Europeans are the ones that colonized Africa, not the Americans. The Americans only bought the slaves. And more than a few European childrens books have images of primitive African tribesman and they have those golliwog dolls. (snip) But had it not been for those European colonies, those African countries would have still been living in primitive conditions, without electricity, modern medicine and machinery..
Valid points, but contemporary immigrants probably got most of their preconceptions from the US media, which accounts for most of the overseas tabloids and films they see, especially those that depict (US) blacks. To a large extent, Africa went back to living in primitive conditions after the Europeans left.

Quote:
Asians in their home countries do not respect those with dark skin colours, because it comes from being an unskilled uneducated laborer in the fields exposed to the sun. .
That might be true for Asians, but probably not for South Americans, Mexicans, etc.

Quote:
Otherwise, those Asian countries weren't that thrilled with their first encounters with Europeans/white people either. The Chinese nickname for them meant white devil/ghost. But over time, they were impressed with the Europeans for their guns, cannons and a mastery of sciences and engineering. And yes, most Asian men are not happy seeing interracial couples of white men and Asian women.
Well, I don't imagine that any country would have a favorable impression of the people who came to colonize them. Yes, one unfortunate byproduct of colonization is the development of an inferiority complex and coming to see the dominant culture as preferable, which in turn can influence who one marries. As to how Asian or any other men of color feel about women who are part of an interracial couple, I don't think many care. However, I've heard a couple of guys say something to the effect that they wouldn't be interested in a woman who has an inferiority complex, devalues her own people and culture, and seeks white men because of this or for social status. Understandable. I would think that the reverse would be true as well (that women would feel the same way about the men).

Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM

943 posts, read 782,286 times
Quote:

Um, you don't have to go on a genocidal rampage in order to be racist.

A person can have a deep hatrade of blacks(or any race/ethnicity) without becoming a barbarian...

White americans also haven't enslaved lynched people in the past 3 decades, I suppose they aren't any white american racist today right??? LOL

Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Unless the OP is from another country (or planet), this looks like a poorly disguised attempt to stir up trouble by adding the the word "Negro" to a simple-minded question. If you honestly don't understand why American Blacks and African Blacks look different, then you were cheated out of a basic education, regardless of your country of origin. Pick up a book. Or two.

And to those who think the term "negro" or "colored" are acceptable, I hope you have dental insurance to replace your front teeth. Seriously. City-Data is not the real world, don't ever forget it.
Gee that was civil. Would you really get that angry? What would that prove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies