Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the US have enough oil to be Oil Independent (meaning not needing ANY imports)
Yes, the US has enough oil 12 24.00%
No, the US does not have enough 33 66.00%
Not Sure 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I believe that we are very close to being able to CREATE enough energy, including oil, to be fully energy independent. I view biomass as the key here, and from my reading on the topic we seem to be just about there in terms of going into a decent production curve.
There are many technologies that are up and coming that I can see us using to free us of the oil addiction for FUEL. Things like blue Sapphire oil (algae grown, and turned into gasoline) Solar, wind (subject to location within the united states) Oil shale, Coal to gas conversion, bio mass, many many things that will eventually help. We however, need the oil at this point to continue to develop the means to mass produce the above techs, and get them efficient enough to make the switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
There are many technologies that are up and coming that I can see us using to free us of the oil addiction for FUEL. Things like blue Sapphire oil (algae grown, and turned into gasoline) Solar, wind (subject to location within the united states) Oil shale, Coal to gas conversion, bio mass, many many things that will eventually help. We however, need the oil at this point to continue to develop the means to mass produce the above techs, and get them efficient enough to make the switch.
Absolutely, but we need to have a plan with specific goals to work towards rapid independence. It doesn't have to be absolute independence, but even cutting imports by 25% within 10 years would have a massive impact on the abilities of foreign countries to drive up the prices.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:43 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,242 times
Another thing people need to start looking at are diesel cars.. The new technology the diesel cars have make them extremely quiet AND clean.. And they get anywhere from 40-60 miles to the gallon!! Look at the cars in Europe, the majority of them are diesels and they get extremely good gas mileage.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Another thing people need to start looking at are diesel cars.. The new technology the diesel cars have make them extremely quiet AND clean.. And they get anywhere from 40-60 miles to the gallon!! Look at the cars in Europe, the majority of them are diesels and they get extremely good gas mileage.
Are they much more expensive than a competitive gas powered vehicle?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Are they much more expensive than a competitive gas powered vehicle?
I'm not positive, but I think they are right around the same price.. I think it's actually cheaper to manufacture diesel engines. Don't quote me on that, though.. Diesel fuel is a lot cheaper to make, as well.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not positive, but I think they are right around the same price.. I think it's actually cheaper to manufacture diesel engines. Don't quote me on that, though.. Diesel fuel is a lot cheaper to make, as well.
although here in Coliorado Diesel fuel runs about 1-1.25 per gallon more than gasoline.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
What a silly question [must be a boring night

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
although here in Coliorado Diesel fuel runs about 1-1.25 per gallon more than gasoline.
That's because gasoline is so much more popular, meaning they use more of the barrel for gasoline and less for diesel. Or something like that. If the majority of the vehicles on the road were diesel, it would be cheaper. Diesel USED to always be cheaper than gasoline. It cost far less money to process the diesel fuel because it is crude, unlike gasoline.

Kind of off topic. But I have always had this plan to buy a Unimog and convert it to veggie oil. I have always wanted one and it would be perfect for out on the ranch one day...

For those that don't know what a unimog is.. This is it.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
That's because gasoline is so much more popular, meaning they use more of the barrel for gasoline and less for diesel. Or something like that. If the majority of the vehicles on the road were diesel, it would be cheaper. Diesel USED to always be cheaper than gasoline. It cost far less money to process the diesel fuel because it is crude, unlike gasoline.

Kind of off topic. But I have always had this plan to buy a Unimog and convert it to veggie oil. I have always wanted one and it would be perfect for out on the ranch one day...

For those that don't know what a unimog is.. This is it.
speaking of Veggie oil.... there was someone here in Colorado that was sued by the state for producing his own bio fuel because he was not paying taxes on that fuel.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
speaking of Veggie oil.... there was someone here in Colorado that was sued by the state for producing his own bio fuel because he was not paying taxes on that fuel.
I have heard of that, and it really pisses me off!! There trying to better the Environment and you penalize him??? Come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies