Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 AM

973 posts, read 2,228,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I would suggest y'all start doing some studying up on history before you start ranting about support for Israel.
There are many reasons we support them and I really don't have the time or energy to post them all here.
One of them is they are the only nation on this planet that would've been (and still would be) totally wiped out if we had not supported them in the past and today. I don't mean a simple little war I mean complete driven into the sea extermination. This has been tried and tried again since the days of the pharohs when the jews were slaves so there is precidence.
I'm not going to get into a big religous debate or semetic argument here, I just suggest taking a look and learning what's been done in the past and why before passing judgement.
So open up asylum in the US if we're so concerned about a people from extermination. If it's 7.2 million, it's likely less than half of the number of illegal citizens this country already supports. There's no point in wasting lives, money, and effort on a strip of land surrounded by nations that want nothing more than to wipe it off the map, especially since it hadn't been their "homeland" for 2000 years.

Our country shouldn't feel threatened to go to war to defend a country overseas every time there's a threatening statement made from one of their enemies. The same can be said for Taiwan. We have a ton of investment in the tech industry there, and if we had those manufacturing companies here, we wouldn't have to worry about war with China.

Part of the problem with the US's acceptance of globalization of the economy is the lack of security in goods if unexpected problems crop up around the world. If the cost of goods needs to increase slightly for us to bring a manufacturing base back to the country, THAT's the investment we need to do for our own economic security, not to mention, provide a ton of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everblessed View Post
My history book explains how George Washington's army was without food, clothes, weapons and supplies and he knew his troops would not survive the bitter winter against the British. He asked a wealthy Jewish friend for help, and this man contacted other Jewish families in the young America and they raised thousands of dollars and gave it to Washington (without asking that it ever be repaid). Washington outfitted his troops and we won the war. If it had not been for these Jewish Americans we would all be under the Queen of England today speaking with a British accent.
I'd like to see a reference please.

I guess you are assuming that if we didn't win that time, we would never again be bothered to fight for our freedom?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I don't get the coorelation between 9/11 and thoughts of the holocaust beyond them both being horrific events but ho-kay.

Now to say something that will possibly be extremely unpopular. All this everyone is out to destroy Israel is a gross overstatement. As for those who are....well perhaps Israel's own actions and stance have played a part in said feelings. They are not the innocents some in this country like to make them out to be.
Everywhere, where jews and christians live together, jews tend to get the best part of it(financially speaking) There might be several explanations to this particular phenomena. One we can call the "traditional" : Christians (practising or not) live according to very strong and seeply subconscious ethic standards and jjews inserted in christian communities and not identifying themselves with those standards usually take advantage of the ones who do. It is a known fact that jews are somehow impopular among christians(and this is not because they killed Christ, but rather becasue people feels that they take advantage of christians "bona fide"). This will continue happening as usual until the majority becomes conscious of this as it happened in Spain and Germany in the last 500 years (not to mention the resentment of Poles, Ukrainians, Croatians and many others)
The standard explanations of the "scapegoat" is not really explaining it. Jews should meditate about this thoroughly because history repeats itself and their situation in the US should not be an exception to what happened before elsewhere. Humans are basically the same lot and we act mechanically repeating mistakes (this is valid for jews and non jews)

Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everblessed View Post
My history book explains how George Washington's army was without food, clothes, weapons and supplies and he knew his troops would not survive the bitter winter against the British. He asked a wealthy Jewish friend for help, and this man contacted other Jewish families in the young America and they raised thousands of dollars and gave it to Washington (without asking that it ever be repaid). Washington outfitted his troops and we won the war. If it had not been for these Jewish Americans we would all be under the Queen of England today speaking with a British accent.
Yeah...just like Canadians, Australians, Fijians, Guyanese, Jamaicans, Indians, South Africans, Kenyans, etc. are all under the Queen of England. Right.

Even if this apocryphal story were true, drawing the lesson from it that the U.S. ought to take the side of Jews whether they are right or wrong would be despicable.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,058,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Quake View Post
I agree. America claims to be a Christian nation. God this and God that. Well, [MOD CUT:language] Jesus is from Bethlehem which is in Palestine, not Israel. Why protect Israel and not God's homeland?
Palestine is Israel. After the Romans destroyed Jerusalem in 70AD and dispersed the Jews throughout the Empire, they renamed the area Palestine to remove any future Jewish claim to the land. I would be much more concerned with the re-establishment of Israel in 1948 after nearly 2000 years of being homeless. That was the fulfillment of one of the key Biblical prophecies regarding the return of Christ. The Book of Luke tells us that the generation that witnesses that will be alive when He returns. This is foretold in Luke 21:29 (the fig tree is a picture of Israel). He first came to fulfill the law, this time He comes to judge-----better get ready.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 PM

450 posts, read 1,058,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Why is Israel such a big issue and why should Americans care about it right now? Why should be be sending billions to Israel when we have record deficits?

Should we hand out billions of American Tax payer's dollars to every country so they can pretend to be our ally?

Its amazing that candidates are being questioned about how much they support Israel.
Is it possible that we remain a great nation because we support Israel? In God's covenant with Abraham (Gen 12:3) God tells Abraham "And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee". In light of our heritage as a Judeo-Christian nation, I suggest that we have been abundantly blessed.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Could it be that many of our problems in the mid east are a direct result of our friendship with Israel? Could it be the double standard we have when its Israel who is the agressor?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I wonder if the reason why so many liberals support Palestinians is because the PLO helped to train european and american marxist bombers.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by privatethinker View Post
Everywhere, where jews and christians live together, jews tend to get the best part of it(financially speaking) There might be several explanations to this particular phenomena. One we can call the "traditional" : Christians (practising or not) live according to very strong and seeply subconscious ethic standards and jjews inserted in christian communities and not identifying themselves with those standards usually take advantage of the ones who do. It is a known fact that jews are somehow impopular among christians(and this is not because they killed Christ, but rather becasue people feels that they take advantage of christians "bona fide"). This will continue happening as usual until the majority becomes conscious of this as it happened in Spain and Germany in the last 500 years (not to mention the resentment of Poles, Ukrainians, Croatians and many others)
The standard explanations of the "scapegoat" is not really explaining it. Jews should meditate about this thoroughly because history repeats itself and their situation in the US should not be an exception to what happened before elsewhere. Humans are basically the same lot and we act mechanically repeating mistakes (this is valid for jews and non jews)
I was waiting for another person from antisemite central to chime in... No ethics?
Really?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
jimj, I keep trying to rep you, but can't.

That post by privatethinker is really troublesome, filled with dangerous generalities and typical anti-semitic characterizations. It's truly troubling to think that there are still people who think this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies