Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 AM

22 posts, read 26,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eathey View Post

Liberals also think they won during Bush's term. Many think the war is a big part of it. Well, we wanted to go to war. We were violated, and we wanted someone to pay. It shows in Bush's approval ratings in the time the war was declared. Intel dropped the ball on the WMD's, but think about it, you know the implications, even if the intel is shoddy, if there is a CHANCE that you've pinned them, what are you going to do?

I'm going to start a thread, because I have too much to say about this. America is a victim of globalization. Think about it, its getting easier to move operations to places where workers will take $1 a day and don't need benefits. Housing collapse, you guys have a stake in the blame. Dems were against regulation of the mortgage lending companies. That disaster could have been averted. What are you watching? CNN?
First of all, NO ONE won during Bush's term. His Presidency had been an unparalleled disaster for this country and the world. And, it should be noted, I say this as someone who voted for him TWICE.

In my opinion, the lesson to be learned from the Bush years is that the President MUST be the smartest person in the room. That person must have the intellectual skill to be able to let both sides of an issue plead their cases to him and then, after taking those arguments into account, make an informed decision.

Bush let one faction within his administration to lead him around by the nose because he lacked the intelligence and, seemingly the attention span, to be able to think the issues through.

As for the OP's question, as a right leaning moderate, I would say that the Republican party does seem to be more attractive to groups who deal in hatred and I think there is a simple reason for that. The Republican Party has gotten lazy and has now adopted the use of fear as it's primary method of implementing it's agenda. Fear of terrorists. Fear of those who look differently than you do. Fear of ideas that differ from yours. Fear of economic collapse. Fear of the poor. Fear of those of a different faith. Fear of those with a different sexual orientation.

Fear.

It's pretty much all they have and simple minded policies attract simple minded people and, not coincidentally, those who deal in hatred are generally among the most simple minded people among us.

Not all that mysterious. The Republican Party has lost it's way. Fear is all they have and hatred is what they attract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, the liberal party is a magnet for hate groups as well.
examples are ACORN, NOW, AFL-CIO, NAACP, UN, ELF.
the republican party does not have sole ownership of hate groups.
Neither the ACORN, NOW, AFL-CIO, NAACP are hate groups...all are in the business of helping or assisting people.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont think that republican is synonymous with skin head any more than democract is synonymous with black KKK.
First, there is no black KKK. And secondly, the topic is about the Republican Party...so stay on track.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, the liberal party is a magnet for hate groups as well.
examples are ACORN, NOW, AFL-CIO, NAACP, UN, ELF.
the republican party does not have sole ownership of hate groups.
I would not consider those hate groups. There are people who are members of those groups from all walks of life and from all ethnic and racial backgrounds. Many of those people are married to people who are of a different race than they are.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
As a republican, I too dont really have an answer as to why those types of groups tend to be a bit more supportive of Republicans than Democrats but I do have some theorys:

1. Republican are pro gun. Many in those hate groups form "militias" and other armed type sub-groups as they think that some type of race war is imminent so they cling to their guns.

2. Lets face it, people who belong to hate groups are indeed the lowest of the low and a majority of them are not educated people. The are just simpletons who unfortunately were not very well prepared by their families or were social outcasts who because they lack basic mental abilities, say to themselves "Well, if the Mexicans, Blacks, Jews and gays all support the Democrats, we must support the republicans 'cause there must be something about them that those people dont like".

3. A lot of Republican support is in the south. Its no coincidence that the majority of these hate groups are in and were formed in the south. So it may also seem that hate groups are republican.

Could you imagine the look on their faces had the Republican party nominated a Powell/Rice ticket? I think that is much better than what we have today - McCain/Palin. Heck, McCain/Peter Griffin is better than McCain/Palin.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
In an honest attempt to address the orignial question:

I believe that "hate groups" certainly do not break down along political lines, however, there does seem to be a real trend towards "hate behavior" among the conservative factor. I can suggest several reasons for this:

It seems, largely to be "conservatism" that is afraid of change, and fear is, in my opinion, the root of "hate"
Hate groups are much more prevelent amoung the undereducated, and the conservatives have systematically "nurtured" this tendency to gain support.
Please note the number of well educated, lifelong conservatives that are declaring support for Barack Obama in this election!
Many "conservatives" tend to be "one issue" voters, be it gun rights, or abortion, or gay marriage, or what have you. . . again, fear of change. . . .

Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Could someone please provide some insight as to why the Republican party seems to attract hate groups and racially insensitive groups of individuals. The recent arrest of Republican party skinheads who threatened the life of Obama as well as recent comments from John Murtha, referring to Western Pennsylvanians as "Redneck racists" seem to suggest that the Republican party and racism are synonymous. Also, neo-nazi, and KKK organizations are obviously voting Republican and voting the McCain/Palin ticket.

Am I off base here, or are my observation/opinions correct?
I've posted this list of names many times, but here goes:

Ken Lay, Tom Delay, Bob Ney, Jack Abramoff, Don Young, Ted Stevens, Larry Craig, Newt Gingrich, Karl Rove, Jeff Skilling, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Alberto Gonzalez, Randy “Duke” Cunningham, Brent Wilkes, Kyle “Dusty” Foggo and “Scooter” Libby, The Viceroy L. Paul Bremer, and remember that John McCain is a member of PNAC along with Bill Kristol, Paul Wolfowitz, Phil Gramm, Charlie Black, Randy Shunneman, and Rick Schmidt and the rest of the Neocons.

These are hateful, evil, selfish, greedy, corrupt individuals that have found a place to call home. Of course you are not wrong. What types other than their own would they attract?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Why are you answering the question with an unrelated question?
This is not unrelated to the topic here and is a completley fair question. Obviously the answer makes somebody uncomfortable. Thus attacking the question avoids the issue. Sound familiar?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 AM

26,211 posts, read 49,027,375 times
IRT to OP, it's because the GOP is a magnet for extreme religious groups, the source of most hate and organized hate groups.

That the GOP tolerates having these wack jobs in their tent owes to their gutless and immoral lust for power, and thus the GOP will take any bloc of votes it can get, to include the likes of religious extremists.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
There's a lot more hate emanating from the left than the right. Just look at the election forum for proof. If that doesn't convince you, listen to Air America for half an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies