Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times

Advertisements

maybe instead of being split into 2 countries, red and blue, it should be taxpayers vs non-taxpayers. it is unreasonable to assume that the taxpayers will keep paying for everything that is being demanded by the non-taxpayers. (including now the illegal immigrants!) taxpayers are just asking that the government spend less and work harder to provide better paying jobs (including coal, oil, and natural gas industries) and that is really not an unreasonable request!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
The time has come for the liberals and conservatives to each have there own country. We will never agree and both sides would be better off getting to business and getting the policies they truly want. Does anyone else agree?
Since the country was founded on conservative principles & none of the liberal hogwash we see today was even considered by the founders. Since we did our best & achieved the most while adhereing to those conservative principles & have only slid backwards after adopting the liberal unprincipled doctrine we see today, its very obvious that, no, we should not split the country. What should happen is that those who abhor freedom & liberty, those who want handouts & handups from the govt, those who seek govt regulation in everything, they should excercise their right to leave & go to a place of ther liking rather than devide the nation.
Of course they are very welcome to stay, but they will have to deal with being free & having liberty. The freedom to suceed or fail & the liberty to deal with whichever they end up with on their own.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I wouldn't mind living in a country where there are lots of open-minded, earth-loving liberals.

If things become too bad in this country, I can always try to move to Canada.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I said that exact thing earlier in this thread; "United we stand,divided we fall".
This country HAS to come together,or I fear we are in for some deep doo-doo down the road. I know we can do it,we just have to find a way past all the silly stuff,& learn how to accet our differences,and LEARN & GROW from them. This country was founded by people who had the urge to break through the Old ideas,& embrace the future. We need to find a way to work together,and work towards the future,instead of all this silly bickering amongst ourselves,which is keeping us STUCK in the PAST.
But we can be divided and united at the same time as has been suggested. Divided politically so different areas can govern themselves entirely free from control of other areas, allied militarily for defensive purposes, with free trade and travel between the different sections. With all respect, our differences are not "silly stuff" to those the government's decisions affect. A gun ban isn't "silly" to the person who can no longer pursue his interests, taxes and regulations aren't "silly issues" to those whose lives may be destroyed by them. All these stupid control freak laws and regulations, which no one can know all of them and some of which contradict each other, aren't "silly issues" to all the people they have made criminals out of who never in fact hurt anyone.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Deep doo doo indeed. Unfortunatly the divisions are deep and getting deeper by the moment. Shrill screaming hatred has taken over rational reason and debate. There are no exchanges of ideas going on in this election...just flat declarations and absolutisms about whos right and whos wrong. Battle lines are drawn and through the heart of America the thrill of war will soon be gone. regardless of the outcome of this election I fear that the rage that passes for conviction these days will just keep festering until it blows up into a full blown war. I have not seen ONE person from Obamas or McCains camp that have been able to have a calm discussion of the differences between their views. It always escalates into seething anger. And it's gonna get worse....way worse.
You know back before the Civil War we had a similar problem. Many of the people who were great leaders and good at compromise, people like Clay, Calhoun, Andrew Jackson, etc., all of whom had strong opinions but were able to compromise, were dead by the years immediately before the war. Replaced with younger leaders who were less experienced, largely unwilling to compromise, and who seemingly enjoyed rubbing their opponents' faces in the dirt at every chance. A similar thing seems to be happening now. Honestly, if Obama and McCain are the best we can come up with for leaders, we're in trouble.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
All of you keep referring to the main 2 parties.. what about the disenfranchised 3rd parties? The MSM won't even utter the name Libertarian.. perhaps they are just following the $$....just sayin'

For the record, I believe as individuals we do need to unite to fix our country's current woes. All of us not just the dems and repubs.
Agreed, I was generalizing between the "big two". A surprise victory by the Indepenents or even the Libertarians would not hurt my feelings in the least.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
The time has come for the liberals and conservatives to each have there own country. We will never agree and both sides would be better off getting to business and getting the policies they truly want. Does anyone else agree?
I think we just need to learn how to get along and agree to disagree. If Obama wins, I won't be thrilled but I sure as heck won't be looking to move to Canada or some other country! I love my red/blue country and I am so grateful that we are able to politically dissent without fear of reprocussions.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
I agree with the OP. I was hoping there would be a serious blue state secession movement after the 2004 election, but nothing much happened. There are some secessionist movements around though, the most famous of course being Alaska's. secession.net has a lot of good links.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
I agree! Now, all that needs to happen, is these repukes that screwed everything up need to fix things, so I can sell my house and move to the liberal country.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, I'm seeing it around me in real life. And we hear things like a person refusing candy to kids because of politics, people killing each other over signs, etc. It's slowly simmering and starting boiling over I think.
Sounds like you need to move sooner than later. I took a few weeks off of this site because the level of hate is ridiculous and highly exaggerated. This kind of talk isn't going on around me in any of the circles I associate with which includes people of all races and political views. Yes there is coverage of the hate by the media but if it were really common, it wouldn't make the news. Now with that being said, the Repubs appear to be the most hateful on this site closely followed by Dems and it's only the few true Independents (not the wannabees saying they are to further a hidden agenda) trying to keep the peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies