Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM

573 posts, read 800,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I'd rather advocate having the Republican and Democrat parties split; twice each at least. Then restructure to put the 3rd parties on even footing. Doing that then takes away this ultra-party following, the other one is evil, belief.
It is ironic that Americans have this mistaken concept that our system is the pinnacle of democracy. That is such nonsense. With a 50%+1 de facto "two party" system, the majority of people are not represented no matter which party wins. What you get are two mediocre parties that promise everything and deliver very little.

Democracy without proportional representation is a fraud. Most western democracies use proportional representation where small party votes actually count. If Party A gets 30% of the votes, they basically get 30% of the representatives. If Party B gets 15% of the votes, likewise they get 15% of the representatives. (As a safety measure against extremists, if Party X gets less than 5%, they get no representatives.)

In most democracies, large parties negotiate with small parties to form coalitions. There is more cooperation and compromise involved. Great ideas from small parties are not completely shut out of the process as happens in the so-called "democracy" in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM

343 posts, read 510,180 times
Wouldn't a republican country just be a Christianity extremist country? They would be on par with Somalia within a decade.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Okay folks, ever hear the phrase "United we stand, divided we fall"? If we did divide, do you realize how quickly we'd both be gone? We'd both be overtaken by some other country who could never provide us with the luxuires we will afford whether it be under McCain or Obama. Think about it. I don't need to post a link to some proof.
People forget that on 9/11 there wasn't a Democratic America, a Republican America or an Independent America.. there was just one America..

Lets see a country of one political party: Cuba, China... hmm I will take what I have right now thank you..

Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
People forget that on 9/11 there wasn't a Democratic America, a Republican America or an Independent America.. there was just one America..

Lets see a country of one political party: Cuba, China... hmm I will take what I have right now thank you..

EXCELLENT POINT!!!! How easy we forget.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM

703 posts, read 855,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
It is ironic that Americans have this mistaken concept that our system is the pinnacle of democracy. That is such nonsense. With a 50%+1 de facto "two party" system, the majority of people are not represented no matter which party wins. What you get are two mediocre parties that promise everything and deliver very little.

Democracy without proportional representation is a fraud. Most western democracies use proportional representation where small party votes actually count. If Party A gets 30% of the votes, they basically get 30% of the representatives. If Party B gets 15% of the votes, likewise they get 15% of the representatives. (As a safety measure against extremists, if Party X gets less than 5%, they get no representatives.)

In most democracies, large parties negotiate with small parties to form coalitions. There is more cooperation and compromise involved. Great ideas from small parties are not completely shut out of the process as happens in the so-called "democracy" in the USA.
Excellent post.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
EXCELLENT POINT!!!! How easy we forget.
Thanks! And I was one of the ones that ran from Tower 1.... I never felt that New Yorkers were really part of America until that day... before then it was always this city that people either loved or hate...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:08 PM

573 posts, read 800,868 times
Quote:
I did not see that anyone was advocating a "one party system". Separating into more cohesive nations would more than likely create more political diversity, not less.

Just consider that our "two party system", although superior to a "one party system", is much less democratic than a truly pluralistic representative "multi party system" found in other western democracies.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,521 times
I havn't read the whole thread but NO!!!

If it were to split up and each have their own individual places they would go to poop. Both of them would be destined for failure..face it we migh not agree with each other at times but we NEED each other

Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Not unless we in NY get to cut off NYC and south and float it into the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe Westchester county as well.

For those who do not know it, the state of NY is very red on the electoral maps, but NYC will always ( by virtue of sheer size and # of bodies) turn it blue.

If I was going to assign states, I would assign by the % of land voting in a party: The country would basically be Republican and Dems would be stuck in islands ( cities). The majority of land would be left to the people.
I think Illinois is the same way, it's pretty much a red state with the exeption of Chicago.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Thanks! And I was one of the ones that ran from Tower 1.... I never felt that New Yorkers were really part of America until that day... before then it was always this city that people either loved or hate...
You are the first person I ever talked to that was in one of the buildings. I was in New Jersey (Clifton) visiting my mother on 9/11. Smoke quickly filled the air and the wind wasn't even blowing from the East. We drove up to a hill on the other side of Clifton and just watched. It was a horrorshow in real life. Maybe if some of the people here could see what I saw from a distance and what you experienced 1st hand, a better understanding could be had. I am so sorry you had to go through that. The entire NYC metro area became one that day. There were no whites, blacks, arabs, oreintals and no Christians or Jews. There were just people. Many people lined the sides of the various highways holding candles and flags. It was unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies