Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times

Advertisements

Who are you?

Who are this "group" of middle class "poor is me's" who are sooooo damn happy and glib to want to take from me?

Better yet, who aren't you?

I worked my arse off to get to where I am. I don't make a million + per year. Depending on how "business" goes, I fall into the $250-$300K range per year.

So please, tell me what you do in a day, the sacrifices you make, the hard life you have had and how you have tried to overcome it and not had any success and all the RIGHT choices you have made where you just can't keep up? And with the same breath, tell ME how I OWE you one more dime than you already get from me or anyone else.

Please, list away.

I can't wait to hear how people who can afford a computer think that they're "suffering" by the hands of people who keep this country afloat (you know, those "rich" who make up for the rest of the pathetic slackers?).

So please, tell all of us your age, your hard core-circumstances, The sob story that Oprah would cry over, your education level and anything else that pertains to YOU wanting to take away from those who have more than you (5 kids by the age of 20? Never saw the point in finishing HS? Never saw the point of taking out a loan and going to college? Too much of a hippie to care about anything but yourself and a big old heap of compost and bear scat? Too smart for anyone but yourself and "theory" so you still have no social skills? You'll get points for admitting to jealousy/laziness).

WHO ARE YOU and HOW do you justify demanding something YOU DIDN'T EARN to the point that you want to take WHAT I EARNED AWAY FROM ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
No sob story just a HUGE cyber pat on the back from me...I'm popping the popcorn and opening a beer waiting for the fireworks!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i congratulation you on your accomplishments. i have done well too.
but somehow somewhere along the road, john wayne became marie antoinette.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Who are you, that thinks you can rake in a quarter-million a year off the top of the US economy, and not have any responsibility whatsoever to the well-being of America?

You did not create any new money. At the end of the year, you had $250,000 that belonged to somebody else at the beginning of the year. And the nation and the community, who have paid you all that money our of their own pockets, making you wealthier than 95% of Americans can even imagine, have no right at all to expect anything back from you? There are very few people that I have absolutely no respect or admiration for, but occasionally one pops up..

I don't know you, but I will bet that not only do you not work your arse off, but you have never done a day's work in your life that you could not have done wearing Gucci shoes. You "make" $1,000 a day "working your arse off"---about a quarter of the people in the world do work that would physically kill you in a week, and make less than that in a whole year.

I'm not going to tell you a hard luck story, because I was born as lucky as you, I just didn't spend my whole life grabbing a thousand dollars a day from people who were less lucky than I was, and then gloating over it on message boards and daring people to try to ask me to do something for those beneath me. If you want to brag about yourself, tell us about the gaudy trinkets you buy to ostentationsly show off to the peasants. If we could do our lives over again, and I could choose mine or yours, yours is not even under consideration. I've heard you sob story, and I don't have one. I haven't earned one.

Moderator: Yes, this is personal---but the OP specifically asked, dared, me to tell him what I think.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-01-2008 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 PM

...bumping the thread...can't wait to see the responses...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:00 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Who are you?

Who are this "group" of middle class "poor is me's" who are sooooo damn happy and glib to want to take from me?

Better yet, who aren't you?

I worked my arse off to get to where I am. I don't make a million + per year. Depending on how "business" goes, I fall into the $250-$300K range per year.

So please, tell me what you do in a day, the sacrifices you make, the hard life you have had and how you have tried to overcome it and not had any success and all the RIGHT choices you have made where you just can't keep up? And with the same breath, tell ME how I OWE you one more dime than you already get from me or anyone else.

Please, list away.

I can't wait to hear how people who can afford a computer think that they're "suffering" by the hands of people who keep this country afloat (you know, those "rich" who make up for the rest of the pathetic slackers?).

So please, tell all of us your age, your hard core-circumstances, The sob story that Oprah would cry over, your education level and anything else that pertains to YOU wanting to take away from those who have more than you (5 kids by the age of 20? Never saw the point in finishing HS? Never saw the point of taking out a loan and going to college? Too much of a hippie to care about anything but yourself and a big old heap of compost and bear scat? Too smart for anyone but yourself and "theory" so you still have no social skills? You'll get points for admitting to jealousy/laziness).

WHO ARE YOU and HOW do you justify demanding something YOU DIDN'T EARN to the point that you want to take WHAT I EARNED AWAY FROM ME.

Are you a good Christian? The Bible teaches the rich to share their wealth with the sick or poor. If they don't they are dammed for eternity.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM

There is a difference between giving of your own free will and it being taken from you...that's in the Bible too...hmmm, let me see, something about not stealing...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who are you, that thinks you can rake in a quarter-million a year off the top of the US economy, and not have any responsibility whatsoever to the well-being of America?

You did not create any new money. At the end of the year, you had $250,000 that belonged to somebody else at the beginning of the year. And the nation and the community, who have paid you all that money our of their own pockets, making you wealthier than 95% of Americans can even imagine, have no right at all to expect anything back from you?
Are you suggesting that this individual stole $250,000? Or did people voluntarily give this individual that money in exchange for some desired good or service?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Are you suggesting that this individual stole $250,000? Or did people voluntarily give this individual that money in exchange for some desired good or service?
I bet he sets the price. It used to be somebody else's money, and now it is his. He hasn't told us what he does to so richly deserve a thousand dollars a day. except some vague "worked his arse off". I suspect he buys things low and sells them high, and never even sees what he sells, and the heaviest thing he lifts all day is a Blackberry or maybe a third martini. I'm looking forward to seeing the OP and a camel duking it out at the eye of the needle.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 PM

839 posts, read 982,692 times
While I don't really want to get involved in another argument about this 'redistribution' issue since I'm fairly involved in another thread on the topic in this forum, I can't help but make a few points.

1. The government most certainly has a right, indeed an obligation, to tax you and redistribute that wealth to various projects, programs and policies. That's why we have roads to drive on and police to patrol them. It's why you can call 911 if you have an emergency and collect unemployment if your job gets outsourced. It's why you can be guaranteed the ability to attend school, even if the school isn't all that great. It's why we have a military to defend us and a State Department to pursue our interests globally. It's why we have a Central Bank and economic regulations to allow for the conditions necessary to have a functioning capitalist economy so that you can make your wealth in the first place. All governance involves wealth redistribution; government officials have to be paid, policemen have to be paid, firemen and soldiers and teachers have to be paid. Schools have to be built, stoplights installed, infrastructure expanded... All this requires that you, and I, be taxed. Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, and I'm paraphrasing, that he liked taxes because with them he bought civilization. A point, I think, worth considering. Taxes and government involvement in society are necessary preconditions for your ability to make wealth in the first place!

2. Not everyone in this country has the same opportunities you had. Certainly, personal accountability should be emphasized, but it's not a cure-all. There are plenty of people who have worked their asses off (many harder than you, I'm sure, unless you're the hardest working guy in the country) and yet have not met anything close to the success you've met. Some children have little in the way of proper role models, adequate supervision, quality education and they suffer because of it; they are less likely to succeed than someone born to better means.

3. All work isn't rewarded equally. An inner city school teacher (hell, any school teacher) is going to make a lot less than an advertising executive, but I'd say it's a pretty easy argument to assert that the school teacher is of greater value to society and, therefore, should be better compensated. Capitalism has helped to make the US a world superpower, but it isn't perfect. Social programs help to iron out some of the social injustices resulting from it, allowing us to maintain a predominantly capitalist system without leaving the weakest and most disadvantaged members of society behind.

4. If the above arguments don't weigh on your conscience, there are self-interested reasons to support social programs and such (which is what I am assuming you are irate about). Less poverty means a stronger economy meaning more opportunities for you to make money. Fewer people without health insurance can translate into cheaper healthcare for everyone. Government assistance in healthcare can reduce the burden placed on employers, allowing for lower prices for consumer goods and higher wages for you. A better educated, wealthier populace means less crime which can translate into fewer needed government expenditures on police. And so on, and so forth.

Last edited by Ever Adrift; 11-01-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies