Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
To be perfectly honest, it would depend on the socioeconomic class of the people that I would be living with.
I am the same. I would not want to live in a neighbourhood that is 90% White or Black -there are major social problems and issues with big crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 PM

251 posts, read 148,454 times
Truly would depend on the city or area. I've travelled to many different cities where I seemed to have been the sole racial outcast for miles and miles around. Some places, the ppl were amazingly kind and welcoming, other places were unabashedly racist and hostile.

Depends. *shrugs*

Old 07-14-2018, 11:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Yes.
I've visited and lived in cities around the world.

It's fine

Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
It wouldn't bother me as long as we were all part of the Human Race.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrorider100 View Post
As much as people don't like to say it's about race.......in many cases it seems to be for whites. I have grown up in majority white areas and majority black/hispanic areas. It was my opinion in the past that whites or anybody for that matter was put off by the high crime in black neighborhoods.......not the "blackness"...that is understandable everybody wants to be safe.

My opinions have changed recently. I live in a diverse new neighborhood of college educated professionals. Home prices are in the $400K - $500K range. Which is solid middle class in Texas. In our gated subdivision we noticed the number minority home owners were almost equal to the number of white home owners. I was curious if this meant anything to other neighbors so I asked. A black neighbor said he noticed white neighbors being less friendly.........something you cant quantify but it is felt. My white next door neighbor became non existent, and hardly spoke to me. Not a bad guy, but I could tell something is not right for him. The feeling of being a minority does not sit well with a lot of whites. Maybe I'm okay with being a minority because that's how its always been.

The neighborhood is comprised of mostly college educated professional families trying to live the American dream. You would think that the things we have in common would be more important. I am American to the bone. It mind blowing that race is so important....... but it has always been.
Good post. I agree with the perspective you have come to as well...

Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Pretty sure I will be quite comfortable in Cebu, May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Cebu is nice. Duterte not so much.
President Duterte is term limited out of the Presidency in 2020

Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
An Anglophile is someone with a love of and fondness for England and its culture/people. It has nothing to do with being middle class or white American culture or whites globally.
Yes... and no.

I grew up in Concord, MA. A predominately white middle class town (and very liberal). And... I spend my childhood watching PBS TV. Programs like NOVA, but especially Masterpiece Theatre, Mystery!, and Monty Python. Consequently, I was exposed to a LOT of great British Culture. In addition, my mother learned her English in Australia. And the English I speak is her version of the Queen's English aka Business English. She would tell me that slang was only to be used in the company of my friends, but at dinnertime with my parents, at school and for work, I should only speak "proper (formal) English. And to this this day, my English speaking style is very formal and not with a Boston accent.

I also love British rock music. Most of my favorite musicians are from England.

IMO if someone of middle class America wants to excel in academia, they would look towards the British culture and people for inspiration. Especially in literature, but in all disciplines.

Of the African nationals who do so well in our universities, or business majors from India, they all speak (business) English very well and with a British accent. So globally, the British standard of English gets more respect than American English.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So globally, the British standard of English gets more respect than American English.

My brother grew up in England, so he had an accent. He finally got rid of his English accent after his military service.

I personally love American English, English accent does nothing for me. But hey, I can only speak for myself anyway, I don't speak for everybody else. I actually like southern accent, sounds like music to my ears. lol

I grew up in Newport Beach, orange county in California. There are a lot of people who are the "high class" kind. I am not one of them obviously. lol I love country boys and country music. My favorites are Charlie Rich and Hank Snow.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Cebu is nice. Duterte not so much.
My niece is a big fan of Duterte.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
To be perfectly honest, it would depend on the socioeconomic class of the people that I would be living with.
The same here. I would pick a wealthy black neighborhood over a poor white neighborhood any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies