Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My niece is a big fan of Duterte.
As are most Filipino's, rule one for expats stay out of local politics. Rule 2 just go to your church and don't discuss other religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As are most Filipino's, rule one for expats stay out of local politics. Rule 2 just go to your church and don't discuss other religions.
Obviously, the Chinese are fond of him as well.

They (the Chinese) think He’s got the balls to snub the Americans. Clever that he now sides with the Chinese. That’s where future foreign investments, financial aids and foreign export market will lie in the next century or two.

I am not a fan of him. But He is a "my country first" type of President. He has to do what he has to do.

The world is a different place now. America needs a strong leader.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Let me tell you what it isn't. It's not Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, etc. It's people who's native language is English for one thing or at least speak it as their primary language of usage.

It’s better when we have a common language, definitely. People can’t relate when they cant even talk to each other. Islam itself is a scourge, though most Muslims are not particularly religious, so I try really hard not to judge ( I have to say that the sight of a woman in hijab pisses me off)

We are all comfortable in what is familiar, but sometimes exposure to other cultures expands our thinking, and makes us grateful for what we have here. I’m never more proud to be an American than when we show up at the Olympics, and you can’t tell ( by race or ethnicity ) who is the American, save for the uniform and the ass-kicking.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Well I'm of Asian descent and very assimilated and Asian wasn't one of the choices!!!

I've never lived in a community that was more than 2.5% Asian. My current suburb is 85% white and 10% black. In WV my exurban town was 98.5% white. In the Baltimore area my suburb was about 80% white and 20% black with only a smattering of Asians and Hispanics. My race hasn't really mattered much in my life.

So culturally I identify as Southern and American vs with my ethnicity culturally. Honestly of my close friends, 2 are black (non African American), 2 are Asian and the rest are all white. I've mostly assimilated into the working class American culture. I honestly don't have any Hispanic or African American friends not that I'm opposed to it but just cultural differences mainly. The vast majority of my friends come from a white working class background. And I've never felt unaccepted. This demographic is actually quite accepting to minorities who are assimilated.

Having said this, I would be comfortable in either a majority white or a truly mixed community. I would NOT be comfortable in an environment that is over 75% black and/or Hispanic not that I discriminate against them but I just wouldn't fit in culturally. For example if you have a community that is over 75% Hispanic, English probably will not be the primary language there, if English is spoken at all. I'm also culturally very different than poeple who grew up in an majority Asian environment like some neighborhoods in California or New York. I know nothing about the Asian American subculture.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
No, I would not. Too many cultural differences. I am not racist, however I also don't identify with blacks or Mexicans as much as I do white people. To many people, that may seem racist but I don't view it as such.
I see what you're saying. I'm of Asian descent but very assimilated. Culturally I am MUCH more like a white Southerner than any other demographic and I feel I have nothing in common with people raised in an Asian American subculture. My metro area now is predominantly white and black and I get along well with everyone but the majority of my friends are white. There are not many Asians or Hispanics here. Also it seems many of the black people in this area like to self-segregate into their own culture which is fine as long as everyone is respectful of each other.

I do know that when black people are around, whites here don't talk about politics since most blacks are Democrat, but whenever no blacks are around people feel free to trash Obama. Though even in this situation it would NOT be for racial reasons when they trash Obama his race is never mentioned.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Technically yes, but what I do need around me is educated people, and unfortunately education is not as accessible to non-white/non-Asian people in this country, especially those who live in poor cities like Detroit and El Paso that are overwhelmingly their race.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 PM

926 posts, read 417,185 times
Yes, I absolutely would. In fact, that's pretty much the case where I'm living. I'm a Scandinavian-looking white woman living in the Middle-East. What's nice here is that we have a mix of people. We have Blacks as well (Ethiopians), Filipinos and a few Chinese, too.
I feel very comfortable in this environment.

In America, I like places like Alabama or Georgia, which have a nice diversity going for them, better than all-white areas like Maine or Central Pennsylvania. In most of AL and GA, Caucasians are in the majority, true, but I don't think I would mind living in Detroit because of the racial make-up of the city. (the poverty and lack of safety I would mind).

Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
There are a lot more things besides race that would make me uncomfortable living in a city. Mind set, prejudice, ignorance, to name a few.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
I had to grow up in a place that wasn’t even 5% black at the time, and it SUCKED sometimes. I had more good experiences than bad, but there was plenty of bad to go around. I resented my dad for a long time for moving us to Scottsdale. However, I got over it and moved on. My brothers and I had to knuckle up a whole lot during our formative years. Things got much better over time though, and now I love my hometown although I no longer live there.

I made sure to raise my kid in a much more diverse place. That’s a lot easier to do in Arizona now than it was when I was a kid. Every place was either all Hispanic or all white. Few places were mixed. Black enclaves were SUPER tiny back then.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:11 PM

The thing about culture is interesting. I have no problem buying sushi from a place owned by a white or black person or order egg rolls from Jack in the Box. But I would never order anything "Cajun" outside of Louisiana (except maybe to see how badly they screwed it up.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies