Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:13 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. All that tip toeing around etc.
I live in the city and always have to tip toe with things...

Don't open if easily offended:

Spoiler
Because I naturally have the gait of a parade of elephants, and I try not to drive my downstairs neighbors insane...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 07:22 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
An honest and fair answer.
I live in a place where I am one of 3 white people. I like the folks in my community and I am treated well. I am uncle to about 9 children. Obviously I am treated well.
I spent 4 years in the military, loved my brothers of all races. My best friends from the service are still my best friends today. 2 of which are black guys. People who never served may not understand the bonds you form in the military.
People can claim that they dont see race, or that it isn't even a factor. It is human nature to seek out those like yourself. Like interests, like social status, like value systems and yes like appearance.
I used to laugh at white guys who complained that blacks acted differently when they were with other blacks. No sheet Sherlock. Humans are apes and we ape. I watch people develop a southern accent when they are with a group of southerners. I have a western accent because of where I was raised. When I am speaking English with people where I live my accents changes to theirs.
People adapt to fit in. I am 100% sure that it is a built in survival mechanism.
I never served in the military, but I have friends who served. I can understand the bond. It's about loyalty. I don't know if this will mean much, but here goes. I played Little League baseball as a kid. One kid from my team, I felt like we were almost like brothers. We're still friends today. One thing about playing baseball as a kid, there was no Black, no White, just a bunch of kids in uniforms trying to win. Your loyalty was to the uniform you wore. You might even be friends with someone on the other team, but you kept your loyalty to the team.

I've been around people who claim they don't see race, and then turn around and behave in a racially biased manner. While it might be human nature to seek out those similar to yourself, I have a different view on things. I tend to look for people with similar interests as mine. At the same time, race isn't a factor for me. One year I went on a Nature Bound trip kayaking (back in my college days). I was the only Black guy on the trip. I didn't care. Some things I get used to.

I live in a community where I'm in the minority. Not to the extent that you are. I have been in a situation where my family was the one Black family in the neighborhood. At the time it didn't bother us much. I certainly didn't care, I was 5 years old. But back on what you mentioned at first. I do see that you are treated alright in your community. However, that is something that does take me by surprise. Maybe it's the way I've grown up. I grew up in a predominantly White area as a Black person, so I'm thinking about what you mention about being 1 of 3 White persons in the community.

My accent could be described as Midwestern/Western. My father is a Midwesterner. I have iived in the Western USA as well as the South. I've grown up in the South, but as far as I've been told, I have no southern accent.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. All that tip toeing around etc.
That is the million dollar question.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:31 PM

I picked "Yes I Would And I Am Black". I would be perfectly alright with living in a city that is less than 10% Black. It depends on what place it is.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:30 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
what is the value in feeling comfortable? there are plenty of shady ass white people i would not feel 'comfortable' around.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
It depends. But I live part time in a city of 4 million Chinese and exactly 8 non-Chinese. I have actually met 2 of those 8. One is a white guy from Russia and the other is a black guy from the US.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I already live in a place that’s exactly 10% black. I’m fine with it.

I grew up in a place that had fewer blacks than that. I got over it. Wasn’t the worst thing in the world although it sucked sometimes.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I definitely would not, that is why I could never see myself spending the rest of my life in a city like Detroit or El Paso for example.

I am white and lived in El Paso off and on for 5 years. Very safe city and very nice welcoming people.

I don't like dangerous places to live and don't like lots of snow and cold weather so Detroit would be a no go. Race would not be a factor.

All he poll seems to indicate that the vast majority of people on CD are white.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same Race
I did grow up in a city where less than 10% of the population was my race. However due to white flight and historic segregation I only knew blacks and Asians, the only white people I knew by name were a few school teachers

Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
what is the value in feeling comfortable? there are plenty of shady ass white people i would not feel 'comfortable' around.
Plenty of shady people of all races. I'm a Black man and there are some Black people I wouldn't want to be in the same room with. Just the same, there are some White people I wouldn't get near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies