Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The question is, if abortion became illegal, would there be 1.3M unwanted children in this country, or will people learn to take precautions and be more responsible?
OR will more women die from illegal abortions...which can reduce the # of children that will be born every year because you have less women...unless you have less women but more of them are having kids because they can't obtain an abortion.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'm not a number or statistic.I was adopted,hell of alot better than being aborted.We get to sit here and ponder "what if I was aborted" but those that were will never be able to experience or think of anything.Kinda feels good to taste this chocolate that I'm eating as I reply,ah life is a wonder
Would you really know if you were aborted?
You wouldn't know the difference.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 167,943 times
One of McCain/Palin addressed issues actually...

Quote:
John McCain will seek ways to promote adoption as a first option for women struggling with a crisis pregnancy. In the past, he cosponsored legislation to prohibit discrimination against families with adopted children, to provide adoption education, and to permit tax deductions for qualified adoption expenses, as well as to remove barriers to interracial and inter-ethnic adoptions.
I think it's an excellent idea, really.

Is adoption the answer? Not for all. There is another option though, a] don't have sex or b] use protection (though it's not always guaranteed to work).

I know here many people think "Wow don't have sex? That's not even a realistic option." It's not? Why not? Since when did having sex become a priority? I know A LOT of people who are virgins, surprisingly (they aren't as rare as you may think). And for those that do choose to have sex, that is their choice. They are making the choice to have sex and are therefore committing an action when they should know the potential consequences of that action. What are the consequences? STDs and pregnancy, among other things. It's truly a sad day when we consider pregnancy an actual "consequence" of having sex, instead of a blessing and the gift of giving another a chance to live -_-

Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
OR will more women die from illegal abortions...which can reduce the # of children that will be born every year because you have less women...unless you have less women but more of them are having kids because they can't obtain an abortion.........
And suddently you began justifying breaking the law..

Jees, its also against the law to kill onself, maybe you should inform all of those people who do it every year to stop this instant!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Would you really know if you were aborted?
You wouldn't know the difference.
And you somehow think that makes it all better...

Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,786,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Are you saying that there are anywhere near 650,000 adoptive families for the 1.3 abortions per year in this country? Somehow I doubt that, but if you've got some numbers, I'd love to see them. .
Your logic is a bit flawed. First of all, if abortions were illegal I concede that some (maybe a lot) of women would be a little more careful. Second, a certain percentage of pregnant women who were denied an abortion would decide to keep the child. Third, if American couples could adopt freely in the US, the foreign adoption market would dry up. So, 1.3 million abortions do not need 1.3 million adoption applications.

Also, keep in mind a lot of people are denied adoption now because of the shortage. For example, single career women are not accepted by most adoption agencies. Same sex couples are denied adoptions also. If there was a surplus of babies (I doubt it), these individuals, who could provide a wonderful, loving home, would then have the opportunity to adopt as well.

So you see, if abortion was made illegal, it very unlikely there would be a "surplus" of unwanted babies.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreAristotle View Post
One of McCain/Palin addressed issues actually...

I think it's an excellent idea, really.

Is adoption the answer? Not for all. There is another option though, a] don't have sex or b] use protection (though it's not always guaranteed to work).

I know here many people think "Wow don't have sex? That's not even a realistic option." It's not? Why not? Since when did having sex become a priority? I know A LOT of people who are virgins, surprisingly (they aren't as rare as you may think). And for those that do choose to have sex, that is their choice. They are making the choice to have sex and are therefore committing an action when they should know the potential consequences of that action. What are the consequences? STDs and pregnancy, among other things. It's truly a sad day when we consider pregnancy an actual "consequence" of having sex, instead of a blessing and the gift of giving another a chance to live -_-
I don't think it's sad to consider pregnancy a consequence or a negative.
Different strokes for different folks.
We have enough people on earth as it is, why not give them a fighting chance at living by not adding more people to an already strained earth?
If I were ever in the unfourtunate situation of being pregnant, best believe I would be trying to schedule an abortion ASAP.
I highly doubt I'll ever have to have an abortion unless I'm raped but it can happen.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And suddently you began justifying breaking the law..

Jees, its also against the law to kill onself, maybe you should inform all of those people who do it every year to stop this instant!!!
What do I care about people killing themselves? I mean, really?
Unless I know them personally....it hardly affects me.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Your logic is a bit flawed. First of all, if abortions were illegal I concede that some (maybe a lot) of women would be a little more careful. Second, a certain percentage of pregnant women who were denied an abortion would decide to keep the child. Third, if American couples could adopt freely in the US, the foreign adoption market would dry up. So, 1.3 million abortions do not need 1.3 million adoption applications.

Also, keep in mind a lot of people are denied adoption now because of the shortage. For example, single career women are not accepted by most adoption agencies. Same sex couples are denied adoptions also. If there was a surplus of babies (I doubt it), these individuals, who could provide a wonderful, loving home, would then have the opportunity to adopt as well.

Good point, but do you really think 100,000 applications are going to cover it?

:# Of the 500,000 women seeking to adopt, only 100,000 had actually applied to adopt a child. (National Center for Health Statistics, 1997)"

And wouldn't it be a good idea to fix our current adoption system BEFORE trying to restrict or outlaw abortions?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
What do I care about people killing themselves? I mean, really?
Quote:
So having an illegal abortion = death to you, which you care so very much about, but those who kill themself yearly, you could care didly squat because it "hardly affects" you..
Quote:
Unless I know them personally....it hardly affects me.
You act as if abortion = illegal, then people will forget how to do them safely. Please.. Stop with the scare babble and discuss the issue with facts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies