Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,544,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Leftie morals at its finest......sad

Yep! Just because I don't believe in the bible or god I'm gonna go out and eat kittens and beat children and pee on churches!! Hooray!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,715,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Really. It's not the book, it's the person inside. Some of us could swear on a cheese danish and still keep their word.
I now crave a cheese danish because of you. Meanie.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,899,600 times
Quote:
Leftie morals at its finest......sad
Sad that I don't need to place my hand on a work of fantasy in order to keep my word? Hardly. I keep my word because it's the right thing to do, not because I fear any sort of afterworld punishment from your giant invisible friend.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM

18,131 posts, read 15,527,941 times
Quote:
REALLY. If you're the type of person who takes their oath seriously, does putting your hand on a bible when you swear it make you any MORE serious about keeping your oath? Or are you saying that your wife feels okay about not fulfilling an oath as long as she didn't swear on the bible?

If you're the kind of person who doesn't normally take their oath with all seriousness, and tries to weasel out of things you say that you will do, putting your hand on a book isn't going to make you change your spots either.

Really. It's not the book, it's the person inside. Some of us could swear on a cheese danish and still keep their word.
OK, lets take it down a thousand here. What I am saying is that and oath on a Bible (or other book of faith) is serious business to a LOT of people. As to my wife, she takes her PERSONAL, relationship with God as a very important thing and yes, an oath on a Bible would hold a binding agreement WITH God for her. Any other oath would be taken seriously to ,yes, because a violation of ANY promise is a breaking of faith and trust, but an oath on a Holy Book is as serious to a lot of folks as standing before God Himself. I'm personally not a very religious person, but I respect peoples faiths and beliefs. Symbolism is important to people of faith, they believe that the Bible (or whatever) is the word of God himself. Thats OK with me. If you don't believe that , thats OK to, but there is no reason to treat peoples faith with contempt because one does not happen to look at things the same way. I'm not attempting to change your viewpoint, or insult your beliefs on this subject. I'm just saying that other people have a right to believe as they will. And some people take Holy writings more seriously than others in terms of swearing on oath and what an oath on that book means to them personally.

Last edited by NVplumber; 11-04-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,899,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK, lets take it down a thousand here. What I am saying is that and oath on a Bible (or other book of faith) is serious business to a LOT of people. As to my wife, she takes her PERSONAL, relationship with God as a very important thing and yes, an oath on a Bible would hold a binding agreement WITH God for her. Any other oath would be taken seriously to ,yes, because a violation of ANY promise is a breaking of faith and trust, but an oath on a Holy Book is as serious to a lot of folks as standing before God Himself. I'm personally not a very religious person, but I respect peoples faiths and beliefs. Symbolism is important to people of faith, they believe that the Bible (or whatever) is the word of God himself. Thats OK with me. If you don't believe that , thats OK to, but there is no reason to treat peoples faith with contempt because one does not happen to look at things the same way. I'm not attempting to change your viewpoint, or insult your beliefs on this subject. I'm just saying that other people have a right to believe as they will. And some people take Holy writings more seriously than others in terms of swearing on oath and what an oath on that book means to them personally.
Wow, requiring a book in order to MAKE SURE a promise is kept...remind me to never make any deals with anyone like that. That's like making sure someone isn't crossing their fingers behind their back... How sad that one's word isn't 100% binding unless you've put your hand on a mythological tome.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:27 AM

18,131 posts, read 15,527,941 times
Quote:
Wow, requiring a book in order to MAKE SURE a promise is kept...remind me to never make any deals with anyone like that. That's like making sure someone isn't crossing their fingers behind their back... How sad that one's word isn't 100% binding unless you've put your hand on a mythological tome.
!!!! Was my post acually READ closely here. Despite attempts at diplomacy it seems some people will always insist on confrontation. That said, I feel I made my point adequately enough to satisfy my own sensibilities. So, as I take my leave of this subject, I bid all a fine day.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,905,800 times
Hey look folks it's american like santa clause and the effin easter bunny!! one nation under god,and in god we trust !! you dont like it ..GET THE F*** out ! and take obama with you ..

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,544,204 times
Quote:
Hey look folks it's american like santa clause and the effin easter bunny!! one nation under god,and in god we trust !! you dont like it ..GET THE F*** out ! and take obama with you ..
Those phrases were added during the red scare of the 1950s. People were afraid of communism, so they added phrases with 'god' into the American vernacular. Personally, I will NOT leave America anytime soon because I like it here. Freedom OF religion also entails Freedom FROM religion... although telling people like me to get the f*** out of a country isn't exactly the love and tolerance that the church is supposed to be teaching, is it??

Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,905,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Those phrases were added during the red scare of the 1950s. People were afraid of communism, so they added phrases with 'god' into the American vernacular. Personally, I will NOT leave America anytime soon because I like it here. Freedom OF religion also entails Freedom FROM religion... although telling people like me to get the f*** out of a country isn't exactly the love and tolerance that the church is supposed to be teaching, is it??
You are correct, but if you read my post I do/did not oppose my religion on anybody up untill su su called my beliefs''works of fanasy'' ''no validity'' and ''mythological''..and my point is if you dont like american customes...GET out ! she pushing atheism and I have the same right to say she lives in a mythological fantasy land...I cant prove there is a god ,just as she cant prove there is not!!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
Quote:
Will obama Hand the Bible Or quran when sworn in?
You knuckle draggers are a real trip, I nominate you for dumbest post of the day, but there is some serious competition from the other knuckle draggers a.k.a. McCain's base here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies