Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:06 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
"it came out"

LMMFAO

No one cares about you're phone sex. Sounds reprehensibly depraved
What is reprehensible is your ignorance to what has been discussed on prime time news by those paid to do the snooping, and to a lesser extent, you ARE grammar skills.

The blanket of naivety continues to shroud the McCain camp, like a wet blanket.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 11-05-2008 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:21 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
The bottom line here folks, I think it is quite doubtful that Obama, or the Dems will seek to disable the Patriot Act, in any way shape or form. In deed they may strengthen it. As for the "directive" (number 51?) that allows the President to declare martial law, any time he sees fit to do so, for any reason he deems necessary, is the thing that scares me a bit more. When someone has that kind of power, do you honestly believe they would give it up? I dont believe that anymore than I believe Congress will be voting a pay cut for themselves anytime soon. We are already living in a dictatorship. Just a matter of time before they decide to "squeeze".....

Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
In deed they may strengthen it.

You're full of it.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
In deed they may strengthen it.

You're full of it.
Explain?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Most Democrats voted against the Amendments to the Patriot Acts.

To support the new Bush-supported FISA law:

GOP - 48-0

Dems - 12-36

The Protect America Act:

GOP - 44-0

Dems - 20-28

The Military Commissions Act: (Took away Habeus Corpus rights)

GOP - 53-0

Dems - 12-34

You're just another right winger, blaming Democrats for everything under the Sun, who's now found some new love of the Constitution, now that the GOP is done with crapping on it for the last eight years.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Actually, NO. I am independant, and voted for neither of the two "annointed" candidates.
Actually, YES, I do have, and have always had a healthy respect for our Constitution, and both parties have been known to crap all over it.
I based my position on the old addage, that absolute power. corrupts absolutley.
I will await the day, with baited breath, that I see, or hear of a proclamation fromthe Democrats that they have eliminated the Patriot Act, and attached amendments, and directives. I dont believe it will happen.
The Dems may have voted against it, to make themselves look better at the time the vote was taken, but now that they are firmly entrenched in power, what interest do they have in eliminating a tool that their predecessor, so thoughtfully put in place for them? Especially when most people dont even understand what the impact on their Constitutional rights are, and it isnt an issue on the front burner, with the American people demanding action for it's repeal?
When Obama takes office, and the Dems, now in the majority, repeal the Patriot Act, I'll be the first to give credit where it is due. Until then I see no forthcoming difference on the issue from either side of the aisle.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Actually, NO. I am independant, and voted for neither of the two "annointed" candidates.
Actually, YES, I do have, and have always had a healthy respect for our Constitution, and both parties have been known to crap all over it.
I based my position on the old addage, that absolute power. corrupts absolutley.
I will await the day, with baited breath, that I see, or hear of a proclamation fromthe Democrats that they have eliminated the Patriot Act, and attached amendments, and directives. I dont believe it will happen.
The Dems may have voted against it, to make themselves look better at the time the vote was taken, but now that they are firmly entrenched in power, what interest do they have in eliminating a tool that their predecessor, so thoughtfully put in place for them? Especially when most people dont even understand what the impact on their Constitutional rights are, and it isnt an issue on the front burner, with the American people demanding action for it's repeal?
When Obama takes office, and the Dems, now in the majority, repeal the Patriot Act, I'll be the first to give credit where it is due. Until then I see no forthcoming difference on the issue from either side of the aisle.
What's your evidence that the Dem vote was a political ploy????

They took tremendous heat from GOP warmongers for voting "for terrorists" and " raising the white flag"..Right wing rhetoric.

There is one party devoid of ANY respect for the Constitution and Civil Liberties and the is the GOP.....Refer to their bloc votes above for a great example.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
The Patriot Act just gets in the way of appointing qualified educated elitists, wonder what post Ayers will eventually get? Director of ATF might be a good choice.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
What's your evidence that the Dem vote was a political ploy????

They took tremendous heat from GOP warmongers for voting "for terrorists" and " raising the white flag"..Right wing rhetoric.

There is one party devoid of ANY respect for the Constitution and Civil Liberties and the is the GOP.....Refer to their bloc votes above for a great example.

I think both parties enjoy employing rhetoric, and "ploys" against each other on many different levels, just a part of the game they play. When one side gets something passed, the other side, being somewhat, well, envious shall we say, will always jump on it and trash it. It's a great way to create political capital with the folks at home, no? This whole Right wing/Left wing stuff is all a ploy for the consumption of the public at large. They're just two sides of the same coin. And both parties are complicit in the legislation that is passed, and some that is rammed down our throat(700+ billion recently, remember that) But they play a game of good cop/bad cop to keep us placated, divided, and stupid. Other than stating the foregoing, as it should be obvious, I have no "evidence" that the Dems vote was a ploy. As I said, the best evidence will come after January 20th. If the Patriot Act truly upsets the sensibilities of the Democrats so deeply, they'll repeal it. Like I said, I wont hold my breath, and if (when)the opportunity presents itself, I fully expect the Dems to use the act, and it's amendments to their advantage.
You may feel free to call me a cynical old man if you please. But I've been around at least long enuf to know how human nature works, and politics bears no exception to the rule.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 PM

It does no good to be so cynical that you can't acknowledge good votes on important issues. Dems deserve credit for opposing these laws. They even filibustered to keep them from being enacted.

I have no illusions about how bad Democrats are. That's why I give to a PAC that goes after bad Dems who voted for these bad laws. You've got to work within the two party system. 3rd party runs are not an option and those that support them just have no clue of how our system of Democracy is set up. They are doomed by the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies