Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I doubt it's that easy.

And just because he was my candidate of choice doesn't neccesarily mean I agree with EVERYTHING he says/does etc.
Actually, it is about that easy TM

The alternative would be, to have the House of Representatives pass legislation extending benifits to "domestic partners" on the areas you noted.

If you are concerned about these issues - contact your Congressman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry.. you are what you are. Biggots are still biggots no matter what the decade. Ignorance is still ignornace..
First, let me point out that there has been, and always will be, bigotry. Consequently, there will always be "Bigots". You, yourself, by definition, are a "Bigot" TM:

BIGOT: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Also, there has been, and always will be, acts of Discrimination. The word "Discrimination" is not necessary a "bad" word TM - People tend to automatically assume that it is. I would bet that you "discriminate" quite frequently.

Discrimination: 1 a: the act of discriminating b: the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently2: the quality or power of finely distinguishing3 a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually

People of all types will NEVER completely agree with, nor accept, others who are .... "different" then they are. The best we, as a society can hope for is Tolerance.

I have to admit that those who are upset that Prop 8 passed, and who have gone out protesting, getting in fights, damaging property etc., are actually hurting their cause IMHO - they are showing that they are, in fact, incapable of tolerance -

With a country as diverse in cultures as the United States is (the most culturally diverse Nation on the face of the planet), we are never going to see eye to eye on all the various cultural variances in this nation.

It is simply humanly impossible IMO

Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First, let me point out that there has been, and always will be, bigotry. Consequently, there will always be "Bigots". You, yourself, by definition, are a "Bigot" TM:

BIGOT: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Also, there has been, and always will be, acts of Discrimination. The word "Discrimination" is not necessary a "bad" word TM - People tend to automatically assume that it is. I would bet that you "discriminate" quite frequently.

Discrimination: 1 a: the act of discriminating b: the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently2: the quality or power of finely distinguishing3 a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually

People of all types will NEVER completely agree with, nor accept, others who are .... "different" then they are. The best we, as a society can hope for is Tolerance.

I have to admit that those who are upset that Prop 8 passed, and who have gone out protesting, getting in fights, damaging property etc., are actually hurting their cause IMHO - they are showing that they are, in fact, incapable of tolerance -

With a country as diverse in cultures as the United States is (the most culturally diverse Nation on the face of the planet), we are never going to see eye to eye on all the various cultural variances in this nation.

It is simply humanly impossible IMO

LOL. You are joking me right.. I'm a bigot !!!
First great day.. there is the word "prejudice" in that defination.. something I don't have.

I am NOT prejudice against ANY group of people.

rather.. I let their actions speak to what they are..

I'm the furthest thing from a BIGOT.. my only "belief" is that everyone has a right to practice what they believe without imposing those beliefs on someone else.

Don't believe in gay marriage..g reat.. don't get one.. !!

Simple.

And I'd like to believe that someday we can get rid of prejudice and discrimination.. I work hard to make sure I do not discriminate or judge on anything BUT someone's actions.

But if we can't have discrimination..then tolerance would be nice.. but obviously we don't even have that as is evident by the proposition that passed !!! Total lack of tolerance right there!

And those that voted to ban gay marriage spoke loud of clear with their actions.

Especially since no one can give ONE good reason why it should be banned.. or prove how gay marriage hurts them.. because by admissino of people on the opposite side of me.. gay marriage DOESN'T hurt them..

they simply do not agree with that lifestyl and so they wante dto take that groups rights away because THEY don't agree with it.

Disgusting!!

We may not be able to see eye to eye with all the different cultures in our society.. but you're right.. we should practice tolerance.. and we should allow EACH group equal protections and rights regardless of what our own personal beliefs are.. UNLESS those beliefs hurt or harm other people.. which a gay marriage doesn't do!!

But it seems we have a long way to go before we even reach tolerance.. let a lone a society with out prejudice or discrimination.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:44 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:

We SHOULD be intolerant of some things.

Intolerance towards animal abuse.
Intolerance towards Children starving to death.
Intolerance towards domestic violence.

But NO HUMAN should be TOLERANT of INJUSTICE.

And that is what this is. Injustice.

Injustice against one segement of the population that are humans just like you.

If this was about racial discrimination or religious persecution it would NOT BE TOLERATED.
But because this is a bunch of gay people the injustice IS tolerated and that is shameful.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
LOL. You are joking me right.. I'm a bigot !!!
First great day.. there is the word "prejudice" in that defination.. something I don't have.

I am NOT prejudice against ANY group of people.
TM - I would suggest that you go and look up various definitions of the word "Bigot". You will find that this one; a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices , is quite common. Please note - it does not say anything about "people" or "groups of people" in the definition.

Then, re-read what you posted above -

Fore, if you are honest with yourself, your very response - your very words, fit the textbook definition of the word "Bigot".

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM

143 posts, read 415,305 times
[quote=TristansMommy;6093820]LOL. you're the one that brought up the sex offenders and rapists..YOu compared a proposition releasing violent criminals to allowing gay people to marry!! YOU brought that into the discussion..

I did not. That is a lie.

I stated voting on any moral or social issue out of fear/concern for the results is a valid argument and logical reasoning.

Voting against the release of inmates out of fear for your community makes perfect sense. So does voting on any moral issue, such as proposition 8.

It was an analogy you are unable to grasp, so I am clearing it up for everyone that has not read the entire thread.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
No they do not.. because they are denied the title of "married" they are then denied the federal rights granted to those unions recognized as "marriage" .

Also because it is NOT a "marriage" in the legal terms, it is also not a recognized union in states that have a seperate designation for DP's .

There is NOT equal protection under the law.
Thank you for that...The issue seems very complicated and I didn't take enough time to actually compare properly....My bad.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 PM

143 posts, read 415,305 times
Quote:
[b]

[b]Don't like being called ignorant.. then stop being ignorant. Don't deny someone else their happiness simply because YOu don't personally agree with it or you don't like their personal choices.. choices that affect you not one bit. Every reason you gave is a bunch of hoey.
Excellent. Let's discuss ignorance again, I feel strongly that I am much less ignorant on this issue as evidenced by the multiple factual sources I have provided to contrast with the blind label of "ignorant" and "intolerant" you have given us.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of ignorance, you might want to avoid the "h" word in the quoted text above. It is tantamount to the "f" word in three languages to over 300 million people worldwide. But obviously, I am the ignorant person here.

хуй - Wiktionary Be advised there is also vulgar content in this link and I'm adding it for information purposes only.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
TM - I would suggest that you go and look up various definitions of the word "Bigot". You will find that this one; a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices , is quite common. Please note - it does not say anything about "people" or "groups of people" in the definition.

Then, re-read what you posted above -

Fore, if you are honest with yourself, your very response - your very words, fit the textbook definition of the word "Bigot".

Great Day.. the difference between YOU and ME and the with the word bigot ..is quite simple.

Yes.. I am stuck to my belief that another group of individuals has NO RIGHT to inflict THEIR beliefs onto antoher group of individuals and denying them their equal protection under the law simply because they do not agree with their philosophy, etc.

Yes.. I am stuck on my belief.. however, MY belief does not stop you from believing in your own, nor take away any of your freedoms or rights. My belief protects the rights of people who's philosophies I may not agree with.. but I can agree that they all deserve the same rights as me, wether I agree with them or not.

Plain and simple.. you don't understand how someone can be gay.... because YOu can't feel an attraction to the same sex. You read a book that is , first of all 1000's of years old and has been interpreted 1000's of times since and take THAT as your absolute truth!! Then judge people on that absolute truth.

Well..what may be truth to you is not truth to all. If you don't understand that, that's fine.. you don't have too. But every peroson has the right to live their life that they so choose with the free will given to them by god and who are YOU or ME or anyone for that matter to say they are less than I or you are.

And. by taking away someones right to marry becasue YOU don't believe in their choice is doing just that..

The difference between me as a bigot and you or anyone that voted for proposition 8 as a bigot is I don't allow whatever bigotry I have or don't have for that matter , to stand in the way of someone's rights under the law. While the rest of you impose YOUR personal beliefs on those around you and force them to live the way YOU think they should.. or at the very least try to take away their ability to live their own life.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamman View Post
Excellent. Let's discuss ignorance again, I feel strongly that I am much less ignorant on this issue as evidenced by the multiple factual sources I have provided to contrast with the blind label of "ignorant" and "intolerant" you have given us.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of ignorance, you might want to avoid the "h" word in the quoted text above. It is tantamount to the "f" word in three languages to over 300 million people worldwide. But obviously, I am the ignorant person here.

хуй - Wiktionary Be advised there is also vulgar content in this link and I'm adding it for information purposes only.

LOL.. everything you post is complete nonsense.. again.. refering to churches suddenly being forced to do gay marriage ceremonies, suggesting that children "learn" to be gay..

Ignorance.. it's there in your posts as plain as the nose on your face..

There is NOTHING factual in anything you posted..LOL

But keep going.. you make my case more and more the more you post..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies