Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
What is your evidence for this?
umm its actually a fact. the best enviroment is a mother and father figure for either gender of children. the second best is a same sex parent. so a son with a father or daughter with a mother..

children who are adopted by gays sometimes recieve counciling, to help them understand whats happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
I'll say it again, just remove the term "marriage" as well as all other biblical references out of US law. This is not a theocracy.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
For many if not most, marriage is a covenant which is set down in Christian, Judaic and Islamic religions. It all begins with Adam and Eve. Since all three religions see gay life style as unclean, those who practice those religions may never accept gay marriage.
Fine, then they don't have to marry someone of the same sex. But that doesn't mean if someone ELSE does, that it's going to affect the fundies in any way. Selfish, narrow-minded bigotry, pure and simple.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
umm its actually a fact. the best enviroment is a mother and father figure for either gender of children. the second best is a same sex parent. so a son with a father or daughter with a mother..

children who are adopted by gays sometimes recieve counciling, to help them understand whats happening

Back that up with something.. because saying it's so doesn't make it so

Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM

172 posts, read 522,633 times
Ok here's my view then.

I'm gay - I have no problem with straight people getting married or being together or bringing up children. So how is a gay couple getting married or being together or bringing up children going to affect anyone else.

IN MY OPINION religion is a load of nonsense, I don't believe in it, I never have and I never will. Yet I have religious friends - now i don't try and stop them from practising their religion or question their beliefs - what they do and what they believe in is their choice. Its not for me to dictate to them what they can and can't do. So what gives these STRAIGHT RELIGIOUS people the right to try and dictate to me what I can and can't do. Your just bible bashing!

And anyone who throws the religious card in can you honestly say you have never done anything against your religion? I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT! POT KETTLE BLACK!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,034 times
Quote:
Both of those fathers loved that girl and she was being raised learning much of, (if not more) of the same things a mother and father teach their children. Granted niether were gay, but they still were both of the same sex raising a child.
No she wasn't and if you think so, then you have no idea what you are talking about.
A boy being raised by two women is not being taught what it means to be a male. I live in an area where there are many boys without fathers.
It is an area where crime is relatively high. An area where these boys respect no one!

Quote:
Now my next example is, I was raised mostly by both my mom and grandma, the only father figures I had were complete a**holes.
Well I guess they weren't father figures then, were they?

Quote:
In fact I had friends who were jelous because I recieved more love and attention from my mom and grandma than they did from their mom and dad.
Warning!: If you are going to compare dysfunctional families to same sex couples then you are simply making my point.
And you are hurting same sex couples.
I am comparing healthy hetero couples to healthy same sex couples because that is what this conversation is about.
Now take a deep breath and start over.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Allowing two gay people to marry does not hurt them in any way shape or form..
I'll answer your question: because society is not, and cannot, be founded on the premise that any behavior is acceptable merely because it doesn't cause direct harm to others.

Insider trading never hurts anyone, therefore why should it be illegal?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If Gay marriage is the same as straight marriage why have you put conditions on it? Why shouldn't Gay people and their unions have all the religious blessings and priviliges granted to straight ones? I'm straight and I'll tell you now getting married was the worst mistake of my life. I tell my gay friends that they are crazy to want to put themselves in harms way like that. I'm only half kidding. But that is not an answer to your question. This is: the reason why traditional marriage is defended by most institutions is because it is very significant to male/female unions that there will likely be offspring. It is an 'option' in same sex unions. Bonding in the way that marriage signifies has been acculturated in us for generations. Either the straight way has meaning and other ways do not OR both the straight way and other ways are equally meaningless. This is why I disagree with anyone who is an avowed anything who says its ok to disagree you do your thing, I'll do mine, its all good. If that is the case you are not an avowed anything you are just playing at it and might as well not suffer the various denials or what have you that are demanded by your faith. What's the point? So, no, Gays cannot have equal representation in a world that is 90% straight. They should not be stoned or otherwise mistreated but allowing "marriage" to Gay people IMO makes marriage equally meaningless to both Straight and Gay people. Something I suspect is true in any case. That is another thread!

H
i sort of agree. i want to know why straight men aren't offered the same protection under the law!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
No problems at all here in MA with same sex marriage and it just passed in CT also.
Those marriages will not be recognized however in states that have codified the definition of "marriage" as between one man and one woman

Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,034 times
I am not religious and I hate no one.

Several million years of human biological/sociological evolution have brought us to the least common denominator of one man/one woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies