Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times

Advertisements

1. In Combination with the fed he beat inflation which was running 10%+ in the late 1970's.
2. Restored America's self confidence after Vietnam, Watergate & the Iran hostage crisis.
3. Lowered Taxes.
4. Instituted pro growth economic policies that ignited the economy & the stock market.
5. Beat the Soviet Union in the cold war, resulting in the liberation of 100's of millions.

Your dad may have had a rough ride in the early 1980's. Curing the economic cancer that was eating away at the country required some stiff medicine that hurt alot of people. My Mom got laid off then to & we had to move to another state to find work. In late 1983 the economy began to improve and by 1984 it went on a tear that really did'nt end until this year.

Reagan Rocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
I was young at the time but i remember Reagan..great president!
He gave Americans hope and pride in America again.
He talked tough and didnt back down.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:39 AM

211 posts, read 979,070 times
In addition to stimulating the economy with tax cuts, he instilled a sense of "Pride" in being an American. Don't forget that prior to that, our country never ever had a rest. Starting with WWII, we then had the Kennedy assassination, the civil unrest of the 60's, then Nixon's resignation, then the horrible embarrassement of Jimmy Carter's economy / military failures.

Reagan proved that sometimes in order to promote peace, you have to be firm and strenghten a military. This strength, along with tanking the Soviet Union's economy, is why they fell and put an end to the cold war.

He is one of the few President's (despite the differences between both parties) that was *liked* and *well respected* by Republican's and Democrats.

Let's not forget that he SAVED Harley-Davidson Company as well!!!

God help us . . . we need another Reagan! He must be turning over in his grave. God rest his soul.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I'm a Democrat but I am able to see things for what the are. Reagan was a very good president. He did restore pride to the country and lowered taxes. Many did not like the fact that he grew the military but because of it he bankrupt the Russians. I would have to say he ranks number 1 as the best republican president we have had in the last 30 years.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
He lead the inflation reduction from the Carter era.

Actually he removed most of the factors that resulted in the inflation. Under Carter gas was included which had gone from 30 cents to 54 cents or so. regan removed gas from being factored in to inflation. You are wrong he made it better he jacked the numbers so you didnt know..... no difference from today. Don't tell how bad it is and they are too stupid to figure it out.

People have a bad habit of trusting the news and never questioning what they hear.

Regan had a great way of lying to the peopple and telling them things were great and they believed it in tiome and started spending money to get the economy moving again.

regan also made for the largest deficits in history ( until W) and he was having us pay for military programs that wouoldnt work.... the missle defense system. He spoke of reducing government and infact made it bigger than ever before. Regan was an actor and could deliver a line and could make people feel better about a bad situation ...even when they weren't.

His rabid spending in defense probably led to the disolution of the USSR as they bankrupted themselves trying to match our spending. It was this that lead to the unification of Germany and more freedom in the former soviet states.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Reagan sealed my belief that Republicans and social conservatives are not worthy of my time. I have since included Democrats in that bucket. Remember when ketchup was a vegetable and the Cabinet laughed about gays getting AIDS? They will never recover in my eyes.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
As many have said Reagan helped to restore our national pride.
He also rebuilt a gutted military. Thank you Carter...
The military that we enjoy today was born under Reagan. Better more reliable weapons platforms. Better body armor. Better tactics. But most of all better training.
He also increased the pay for our troops dramatically.
The world respected Reagan even the Soviet hardliners gave him his due.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
The actor made it okay again to look down on others.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I hear so much about how good the Reagan years were, but all I remember is high unemployment and my dad getting laid off. Correct me if I am wrong, but what did Reagan do good?
You beat me to this same question!!Especially here in the south among Conservative Christians he like GOD.The only thing I can give him his ability to make people proud of their country ,very Patriotic.Oh not sure if it was good but he didn't mind kicking some butt.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
He made you proud to be an American!

He bankrupted the Soviet Union.

He took us from the Carter malaise started the markets on their greatest expansion ever.

Don't give me the tired old lines about the deficit or star wars. The SDI initiative was a huge factor in ending the Cold War. The Soviets greatest fear was that they knew we could pull it off!

He had the balls to put Pershing missile in Germany. He let them know we were serious.

I made my first million during his administration. Under Carter, all I did was sit in gas lines on Satuday mornings waiting for my 10 gallons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies