Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times

Advertisements

You're not quite so fast on the uptake are you.
Don't worry, you're now in my twit filter.
Adieu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Then why not try to get it prohibited by getting the number of signature and getting a propostion to see if you can change it? It seems a funny logic to want something you thionk is a failure.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
I am a Christian, and I don't support gay marriage. I do, however support gay civil unions. I think marriage is something solely within the church and has little to do with anyone's legal rights...

I also wouldn't support two non-Christians getting married in a church, but I can't imagine telling them they don't have the right to do so though the state! We need to seperate the religious concept of marriage from the legal concept of a civil union.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am a Christian, and I don't support gay marriage. I do, however support gay civil unions. I think marriage is something solely within the church and has little to do with anyone's legal rights...

I also wouldn't support two non-Christians getting married in a church, but I can't imagine telling them they don't have the right to do so though the state! We need to seperate the religious concept of marriage from the legal concept of a civil union.

I believe in gay and straight marriage. My deity, The Flying Spaghetti Monster touches everyone with his Noodley Appendages and blesses everyone equally. My bible says that everyone should be allowed to love who they want, regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation. My deity would absolutely not stop two consenting adults from having a relationship and providing a home for artificially created children, or adopted children. You say your god is understanding...well.... I'm pretty sure mine is more-so...

Don't you think my thoughts and my religion are just as important as yours?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I believe in gay and straight marriage. My deity, The Flying Spaghetti Monster touches everyone with his Noodley Appendages and blesses everyone equally. My bible says that everyone should be allowed to love who they want, regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation. My deity would absolutely not stop two consenting adults from having a relationship and providing a home for artificially created children, or adopted children. You say your god is understanding...well.... I'm pretty sure mine is more-so...

Don't you think my thoughts and my religion are just as important as yours?
Why would you jump to insulting Christians? When did I say something offensive? All I said was that I see marriage as a Christian institution, and I don't think non-Christians or those who don't follow Christianity should be married in Christian Churches. I am not saying gay marriage should be illegal! I am more comfortable calling it by a different name than 'marriage', but that is just symantics.

You claim Christians are intollerant, but look at you! You judge me based on a stereotype you hold, and apparently didn't even read my post past the word 'Christian'.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Why would you jump to insulting Christians? When did I say something offensive? All I said was that I see marriage as a Christian institution, and I don't think non-Christians or those who don't follow Christianity should be married in Christian Churches. I am not saying gay marriage should be illegal! I am more comfortable calling it by a different name than 'marriage', but that is just symantics.

You claim Christians are intollerant, but look at you! You judge me based on a stereotype you hold, and apparently didn't even read my post past the word 'Christian'.

I was making a point. Sheesh. I picked Christian simply because that was the religion that I have the most experience with... replace that with Catholic, Muslim, Jewish etc etc and you can get the same results. I'm not insulting Christians, in fact I'm not insulting anyone. I'm just saying that there are different religions that believe different things, and why should one be superior over the others?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I was making a point. Sheesh. I picked Christian simply because that was the religion that I have the most experience with... replace that with Catholic, Muslim, Jewish etc etc and you can get the same results. I'm not insulting Christians, in fact I'm not insulting anyone. I'm just saying that there are different religions that believe different things, and why should one be superior over the others?
And I was making a point as well. When did this discussion turn to the superiority of any given religion? (It is also a little insulting when you compare a religion like Christianity to something Stephen Colbert made up)

If you want my answer, if there is not an absolute truth, how can any religion or worldview hold any meaning?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
And I was making a point as well. When did this discussion turn to the superiority of any given religion? (It is also a little insulting when you compare a religion like Christianity to something Stephen Colbert made up)

If you want my answer, if there is not an absolute truth, how can any religion or worldview hold any meaning?

Stephen Colbert didn't make up the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.... It was made up as a retaliation for Creationism being taught in school.

I think the discussion turned into a religious superiority issue a looooong time ago. When certain religious groups said that gay marriage should be banned because their holy book says so. There are plenty of religions that don't mind gay couples but those were not taken into consideration, only the 'main religions' that do. If religion 1 says gay marriage is wrong, but religion 2 says gay marriage is a-ok, why is only religion 1 right?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Stephen Colbert didn't make up the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.... It was made up as a retaliation for Creationism being taught in school.

I think the discussion turned into a religious superiority issue a looooong time ago. When certain religious groups said that gay marriage should be banned because their holy book says so. There are plenty of religions that don't mind gay couples but those were not taken into consideration, only the 'main religions' that do. If religion 1 says gay marriage is wrong, but religion 2 says gay marriage is a-ok, why is only religion 1 right?
This is the same as debating the truth of Christianity vs. say, Jainism. Christianity makes the claim to be THE only true explination of the world, while according to Buddhist teachings one can be both a Jainist as well as Christian. Christianity says 2+2 must = 4. It cannot equal 4 OR 5.

But that being said, Christianity says gay marriage is wrong, but never speaks to the legality of it, so why is it an issue? It is so insulting for a religion to not bring two people together who do not uphold those religious beliefs? A good example is Buddhism. Would you be just as insulted if a Buddhist makes you take your shoes off before you meditate? Or do you realize that such practices are part of the religion, and no one is making you meditate. Following the same logic, no one is making you get married in a Church. If you don't agree with Christianity, that is fine. The Bible doesn't say don't get married, it says don't get married in a Christian wedding. How is this a bad thing?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,492,873 times
Quote:
All I said was that I see marriage as a Christian institution,
I see what you're saying, hnsq, but have to point out that marriages are not an exclusively Christian phenomenon. It's a universal among world societies. Christian churches have the right to say who is married in their churches and who is not, but the government, as a secular entity, should not make that delineation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies