Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Don't Ask Don't Tell be repealed?
Yes 17 51.52%
No 11 33.33%
I'm not sure 2 6.06%
I don't care 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 PM

387 posts, read 677,499 times

Advertisements

Your poll doesn't make clear what the "don't ask don't tell" policy would be replaced with.

Many of us would support a reversal of the policy if it were to be replaced with a policy of direct support for openly gay soldiers. But going back to a ban on gays entirely would be a step backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
He thought I was too drunk to fight back when he tried to make a move on me. He was wrong. That is why I'm homophobic and why I'm against gays in the military.
You know...I have never heard of a guy doing that to a girl. Never, never.

NOT.

So men and women shouldn't work together in the military, either?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know...I have never heard of a guy doing that to a girl. Never, never.

NOT.

So men and women shouldn't work together in the military, either?

in combat positions no.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
what monkeywrenching said

The levels of stress, tension, and testosterone while in combat situations is very high. This can throw people together in a sexual relationship or provide an easy opportunity for such bad behavior or worse. In non-combat military jobs/stations, after work you go either to your own home, apartment, or barracks which is usually like a college dorm room today. Living with coed dorms is much easier than living in combat or ship board situations. Try to imagine working 18 hour work days and sleeping a few hundred feet from where you work? Imagine feeling lucky if you got 5 hours sleep on a 2 inch sponge foam mattress in what looks like a coffin and little to no air flow. Imagine absolutely no privacy at all. Imagine sleeping 2 to 3 feet from 5 other men. And imagine having to do this for 6 months out of the year away from home. Now combine all of that with "missile inbound,...all hands brace for shock" or staying at general quarters stations for over 48 hours because we're going through a floating mine field. That's what I went through during Desert Storm. I wasn't in the Army or Marines so I won't comment on their situation because I wasn't there.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
I think it works.

Considering that the military is such a "boys club" with a lot of "macho" types in it (and that's not bad, mind you) having openly gay people in the military could undermine the comradary.

They serve and they do their duty and keep it to themselves while they are in and no one is hurt..

I think it works just fine.. why mess with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies