Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
This thread isn't about why I would end things with someone from a different political persuasion.

I really want to know WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? BTW, no hate filled ranting here. I support Life. Republicans support Death.
Your rants show you inability to understand..! There is nothing wrong with the people you point out, it's YOU that is off base.
Free healthcare is just another Democratic give away that someone has to pay for.
The war is neccessary, it saved your butt for eight years now.
Not going to waste my time explaining further, because you won't listen or understand anyway. You just want to go on believing your right, and everyone else is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
May I interject that the people described herein are similar to most evangelicals and the religious right wing. They oppose abortion and gay marriage but have no problem that their government arrests and tortures innocent people. These no-universal-health-care-but-yes-to-war people are no different. Neither camp makes sense to me, although Frank's post #3 above helps shed some light on this (for me) mind-boggling disconnect.
I'm a libertarian atheist and I have no problem with gay marriage and I oppose torture.

I think the invasion was a bad idea, but it does make sense from both a humanitarian and realpolitik point of view to make sure that Iraq becomes a stable nation.

I believe the healthcare system needs to be fixed in US, but a national healthcare system isn't the best way.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Sometimes war is meant to stop death and destruction, for example defeating the Nazis and liberating the Jews. Sometimes you've just got to fight if you're attacked like Pearl Harbor.

Would you agree with a decision to send troops to Darfur? Do you think the UN should immediately withdraw from the Congo?

Not sure of your correlation between universal health and military action.
Oh, sorry. Everytime I discuss universal health care with a republican, they are just aghast and say how are we going to pay for THAT? I then remind them of all the money we are spending spreading death and destruction and how we could take THAT money and spend it on universal health care and they are stupified. Hence, my question...what is wrong with these people?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Everyone DOES have access to healthcare.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Your rants show you inability to understand..! There is nothing wrong with the people you point out, it's YOU that is off base.
Free healthcare is just another Democratic give away that someone has to pay for.
The war is neccessary, it saved your butt for eight years now. Not going to waste my time explaining further, because you won't listen or understand anyway. You just want to go on believing your right, and everyone else is wrong.
Ah, you are one of "them" who believes we had to invade a country having NOTHING TO DO WITH 911 to "protect" ourselves.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Everyone DOES have access to healthcare.
This is not about access to. It's about universal health care.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
This is not about access to. It's about universal health care.
And, what is "univeral health care" but, access to health care -

Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 38,339 times
Things have become too easy when the average person thinks that they should have more of anything just because the neighbor does. We cannot progress and improve with that kind of thinking because 30 percent of the people cannot carry enough water for the rest of you to be quenched. The health care system is on a slow progression of destruction when the average person has no interest in taking care of themselves and just expects the doctor to make it all better and for the only guy working on their block to pay for it. Social mediceine does not work. Look at any country that has tried this and tell me if you prefer the care of that system over our own. If youwould then why are you grumbling??? Move their and relieve the rest of us from our burden of carrying you

Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 AM

395 posts, read 510,645 times
Quote:
I think I am done being friends with someone where I live based on this issue alone. The night of the election this republican person I know said "why should everyone have health care if they don't work for it?"

This boggles my mind - the mean spiritedness of it all. I mean, how about we end the wars, stop spreading death and destruction, and use that money to take care of each other in this country?

Anyway, I just don't have time for someone with this thinking in my life. My mother is the same way. However, she is 87 and doesn't seem to get that tax dollars are paying for her health care, yet she begrudges others from having it. I can't very well toss her out of my life, but I abhor her thinking.

What is wrong with these people?
I had a person quit being friends with me because I was against the war in Iraq. lol. I can understand people who aren't working....not deserving of free health care...of course there are many other factors that should be considered. But I feel if you are working and your job isn't offering you health benefits..that's complete nonsense. I spent the last 2 years working 40+ hours a week (Before my hours got cut) and I couldn't get health insurance. That's just ridiculous.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
It has to do with what someone determines to be the proper role of government.

Conservatives and libertarians view the government is supposed to enforce laws and protect the nation from foreign threats and not much else. So there is no inherent disconnect from supporting a war but opposing a national healthcare system.

The government is also supposed to: "insure domestic tranquility,.............., promote the general welfare"

Why does that task specified by the Constitution get ignored by Conservatives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies