Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
In a way, you are right. The Bill of Rights was intended to protect certain liberties and freedoms from the tyranny of a majority.

With that said though, there exist no "right" to health care, or "marriage" outside of a social contract which does not exist. Homosexuals have the same natural rights as straight people do, under the Constitution.

The system we have (or was intended by the Founding Fathers) is that people express their will thru the natural legislative process. On the other hand, it seems that you are arguing for something other...?

What would that be? As an aside here, I always find it ironic (and disgusting) that while many on the far left talk endlessly about "the people"...they do not respect those same people when it goes against their own agenda. Instead, they embrace the power of a "Supreme Court" to impose their will and ideology on those who reject it.

yes.. healthcare and marriage are not listed as a "right". If they broke down every individual right it would go on forever. There may also be some rights that they didn't include becasue at the time of it's creation it didn't exist.

That being said, what the constituation does allow for is equal protection under the law. AS it stand, gay couples do not get equal protection under the law for their union. Domestic Partnership is severely lacking in that equal protection.

US gov't only recognizes "marriage" as defined by each state as a legal union which entitles couples to certain thing and that each couple must meet (obligations, that is). While under CA law a Domestic Partnership may share in certain same things as a hetero married couple, outside of CA the rights they share IN CA does not exist.

Gay people are fighting for the title because the title brings with it equal protection under the law that they currently do not recieve. They could care less wether your church or any church or religious orginization recognizes their union. As it is marriage in a church does not automatically get recognition under the eyes of the law unless and until a license is purchased and papers are filed at the county/ state in which they reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Prop 8 and those who support it are on the wrong side of history. Gay marriage is a question that has already been answered. We are just waiting for the news to get out to everyone. The anti-rights people may manage to win a last purposeless battle here and there, but their war has now been irretrievably lost...

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Its funny how blacks supported the Passing of Prop 8 at a rate of 70%. I think its funny how African Americans are only liberal on issues that RELATE TO THEM. When it comes to equality for others outside the black community, they dont want those groups to have their rights, but when it comes to them, they scream bloody murder when they think their rights are being violated in any way. I see the same thing in the Hispanic community. Hispanics want illegal aliens to be handed citizenship for doing nothing more than being criminals because it is the "moral thing to do" but when it came to prop 8 and giving others rights (outside the hispanic community), they said "no way."

Two minority groups that have shown their very selfish "ME ME ME ME....RIGHTS FOR ONLY ME" attitudes.
Yes, and No. I wouldn't limit that nasty me me me attitude to any group in the country. It's pervasive throughout, and gee where did that come from when greed is good, money talks BS walks paradigms are fed 2 generations via commerce/ govt leadership & parenting? Right wing deciding 'shut up' is a legitimate debate. Madison ave steady diet of what's in it for me. How can it be that the most cynical hard hearts in our culture are increasingly in elementary schools????

You're not hispanic. You didn't ask them. They know who they are and why they decided. You're the one who's ignorant, not them. See how that works?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Ohh you know, how about gays and straights barter... if they can't be allowed equal protection because they're so different, the 'non human being' status, being gay should be a tax exempt status?
Then billionaires throughout the world could declare themselves an american gay, and a whole other tyranny of the majority can happen.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Liberals cannot take a loss? Here's what's happened on other threads. Conservatives are actually HOPING for the country to fall apart under Obama so they can blame him for the failure and vote back someone more to their liking. Yeah, these people only want democracy when it works in their favor.

How about when conservatives don't like the outcome of the courts? What response do they have? Oh, those judges are legislating from the bench! Who's the pathetic little whiners here?
The job of the courts is to interpret laws not legislate from the bench. Why should judges who are unaccountable to the public have the audacity to make laws. Of course you approve of this when it suits your cause. What if the courts begin to pass some conservative laws? Just wait and see the outcry from the liberals!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
To answer that very good question, one has to understand (which I know you probably do! ) the far left liberal definition of "tolerance."

It boils down to that many of them truly consider themselves morally superior and "annointed." The ilk really believes that to disagree with them is synonymous with being "hateful, stupid, ignorant, racist, etc, etc." That is, to disagree with their own vision of the world is to, by definition, be intolerant. And intolerance is not to be tolerated!

Here is a great book on the subject:

Amazon.com: The Vision of the Anointed Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy: Thomas Sowell: Books
Very accurate.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
The job of the courts is to interpret laws not legislate from the bench. Why should judges who are unaccountable to the public have the audacity to make laws. Of course you approve of this when it suits your cause. What if the courts begin to pass some conservative laws? Just wait and see the outcry from the liberals!
They don't make laws, they uphold the law, specifically, the constitution. That predates all of us. Try reading it.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What comes to my mind is the whining & outright disgusting postings by the republicans & conservatives who can't handle that a democrat won. Think about that one.
Kinda like how the democrats reacted when GWB won twice!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Contrary to the OP belief, I am fairly confident there are many many repressed closet gays and lesbians in the conservative camp that had their fingers crossed on this one.

Even if they themselves choose to continue to live a life of lies to please their families or for their careers, and continue to fulfill their desires in places like the airport bathroom stalls of America, I'll bet they had some compassion and hope for their more courageous kindred souls who have the guts to face life on their own terms.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
To answer that very good question, one has to understand (which I know you probably do! ) the far left liberal definition of "tolerance."

It boils down to that many of them truly consider themselves morally superior and "annointed." The ilk really believes that to disagree with them is synonymous with being "hateful, stupid, ignorant, racist, etc, etc." That is, to disagree with their own vision of the world is to, by definition, be intolerant. And intolerance is not to be tolerated!

Here is a great book on the subject:

Amazon.com: The Vision of the Anointed Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy: Thomas Sowell: Books
Very true. Like those folks who claim that parts of America are "real America." Like those folks who claim that parts of America are more "pro-America" than the rest. Like those folks who claim that “liberals hate real Americans that work and achieve and believe in God." Thank goodness I'm not one of those morally superior people who think they live in "real America" and that folks who live elsewhere are just hate-mongers. I'm just a little old Obama voter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies