Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,095 times

Advertisements

alot of you do not want to admit it, you will attack anyone with an opposing opinion. you are not opneminded at all. Even though you clan together like a bunch of animals doesn't make you wright or make sense.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Are you related to Sally Kern, Okie?
an undeucated assumption at its best

Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 PM

972 posts, read 1,330,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
read history much?

Okie is a historical term to describe a mid western migrant from the dust bowl to settle into california for a better life and for work opportunities in the 30s.

I thought you would have the intelligence to put to and to together, guess i was wrong.
Midwestern?? No Okie was a derogatory word for an Oklahoman dear. I know I know you are probably only 18-20 and have to rely on modern internet interpretations. But Okie is an Oklahoman any way you spin it. Some people gone West from Texas and the Midwest may have been called it, but it does not mean that, they were called it as a put-down. Like f-word they call gay people and N word they call blacks-- OKIE. Same as being called white-trash.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
read history much?

Okie is a historical term to describe a mid western migrant from the dust bowl to settle into california for a better life and for work opportunities in the 30s.
I was not familiar with the term; the definition can be broader than I'd realized. But surely you can see how someone could assume easily that you're from Oklahoma? I think that's how most people understand the term. I can't believe it's being debated so hotly, though. That's really petty.

Quote:
I thought you would have the intelligence to put to and to together, guess i was wrong.
See, that was just unnecessary. You'd think I told you that you're not good enough to get married or something.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I think it was a joke.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM

She is from Oklahoma she says so in her posts, look at her post history. Also Okie means Oklahoman. She has it wrong unless she doesnt mind being called the old cuss word Okie, which meant trash.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
they were called it as a put-down. Like f-word they call gay people and N word they call blacks-- OKIE. Same as being called white-trash.
My next-door neighbors used to say they were "proud to be rednecks", and this was way before Jeff Foxworthy came along. I always felt like they didn't really understand that "redneck" wasn't usually meant as a compliment, but oh well, if it made them happy to be called rednecks....

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
alot of you do not want to admit it, you will attack anyone with an opposing opinion.
No, I will attack anyone who wishes to deny same-sex couples the right to marriage. On other issues that I see on this board, I'll read and consider opposing viewpoints.

Quote:
you are not opneminded at all.
If you were gay, bi, pan, or anything but hetero, chances are it wouldn't be up for debate for you, either.

Quote:
Even though you clan together like a bunch of animals doesn't make you wright or make sense.
Richard Wright or Jeremiah Wright?

If anything, I do make sense. I don't have much confidence in my debating skills, nor do I feel like I'm especially intelligent, but I do make sense. And many of your posts that I've read fail to make sense.

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 11-11-2008 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
assumption..HUH!!

You are posting in this thread bashing people for being for gay marriage and upset about this bill. However, you do not know who Sally Kern from your own home state is? If you didn't catch what I said to you, was a joke.. you have no business in this thread being so uneducated about the issue at hand yourself.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
She is from Oklahoma she says so in her posts, look at her post history.
Yeah...but remember you hadn't reviewed that information when you made that incredibly rude, presumptuous, ignorant, etc. assumption that she's from Oklahoma.

Quote:
Also Okie means Oklahoman. She has it wrong unless she doesnt mind being called the old cuss word Okie, which meant trash.
I don't doubt that there could be other uses, but I really think the one you're talking about is the most recognized one in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies